The Computer Audiophile

The New CA Issues and Feedback Thread

Rate this topic

1,029 posts in this topic

Hi George - post numbers is something I am considering bringing back. If I can find a quality plugin that's supported, I will buy it and enable it. 

 

With respect to losing content, the new site does better than any other software I've used. If you lose your text for any reason, just go back to the same thread and click in the box to start typing again and the text will automatically reappear. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

With respect to losing content, the new site does better than any other software I've used. If you lose your text for any reason, just go back to the same thread and click in the box to start typing again and the text will automatically reappear. 

 

Yes, that's an amazing, useful feature.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys - The Ignore Topic feature is now available.

Screen Shot 2017-06-16 at 8.36.46 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-16 at 8.38.04 AM.png

Before I even saw this post I clicked on that thread just to see if I could ignore it - and was happy to see I could!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mourip said:

 

Thanks! This is great.

Love this feature,  and it works!  

 

Great thanks to Chris! No more MQA vapourware to read about in the headlines. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Also I have mentioned this before and never received an answer. The old system used to remember your text as you wrote it. If one accidentally got knocked off the page by a computer glitch or one's own stupidity, when you went back to the forum you were posting to, and went to start over answering the post you were responding to when you were interrupted, the system asked you if you wanted to retrieve the text you previously wrote. Nowadays, if that happens you have to start all over again and if you had written a lot, it's heartbreaking to realize that all of it was lost. Any way to get THAT feature back?

There is something like that in the new forum. I'm not sure what triggers it, but sometimes I get a reply box populated with text I've previously discarded.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mansr said:

There is something like that in the new forum. I'm not sure what triggers it, but sometimes I get a reply box populated with text I've previously discarded.

 

If that is so, I have yet to see it. These are the kind of things that Chris should be able to answer. After all, he implemented this new system. Thanks for your reply, though.

17 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi George - post numbers is something I am considering bringing back. If I can find a quality plugin that's supported, I will buy it and enable it. 

 

With respect to losing content, the new site does better than any other software I've used. If you lose your text for any reason, just go back to the same thread and click in the box to start typing again and the text will automatically reappear. 

 Does that include if you actually leave the page or one's browser app gets closed accidentally? The old system saved text even if you restarted the computer before continuing to type.....

 

But thanks for your answer. I have yet to see this feature work, but I'll be on the lookout for it, 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

If that is so, I have yet to see it. These are the kind of things that Chris should be able to answer. After all, he implemented this new system. Thanks for your reply, though.

 Does that include if you actually leave the page or one's browser app gets closed accidentally? The old system saved text even if you restarted the computer before continuing to type.....

 

But thanks for your answer. I have yet to see this feature work, but I'll be on the lookout for it, 

Let's try and find out. I started typing this in Chrome on Android, then closed the tab and restarted the browser. Navigating back to this page and clicking in the reply box brought the text back. Seems to be working.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, mansr said:

Let's try and find out. I started typing this in Chrome on Android, then closed the tab and restarted the browser. Navigating back to this page and clicking in the reply box brought the text back. Seems to be working.

 

No, I don't see it. I'm using Safari on El Capitan and I wrote some text in answer to this response to you. Without submitting it, I left this page. When I came back, of course, my reply to you was gone, just as it would be if I had accidentally left the page or closed the browser while typing a reply. I hit "Quote" and your quote, above, appeared, underneath which was a cursor for me to begin typing a reply. I typed something expecting what I had written previously to magically re-appear as you indicated it would..... Nothing! I must be doing something incorrectly.

 

Thanks for your help at any rate.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

 

No, I don't see it. I'm using Safari on El Capitan and I wrote some text in answer to this response to you. Without submitting it, I left this page. When I came back, of course, my reply to you was gone, just as it would be if I had accidentally left the page or closed the browser while typing a reply. I hit "Quote" and your quote, above, appeared, underneath which was a cursor for me to begin typing a reply. I typed something expecting what I had written previously to magically re-appear as you indicated it would..... Nothing! I must be doing something incorrectly.

 

Thanks for your help at any rate.

You have to click in the text box at the bottom of the page before anything else. If you click quote on some post first, the saved text is lost.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mansr said:

You have to click in the text box at the bottom of the page before anything else. If you click quote on some post first, the saved text is lost.

 

 

I see! It works differently from the old system. I've been wondering the text box at the bottom of the page was for. Thanks loads for your help!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, firedog said:
On 6/16/2017 at 9:37 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys - The Ignore Topic feature is now available.

Screen Shot 2017-06-16 at 8.36.46 AM.png

Before I even saw this post I clicked on that thread just to see if I could ignore it - and was happy to see I could!

 

Has anybody noticed that if you're not looking too hard the black "Reply to this Topic" box looks brown ?   (due to the proximity of the red of the new button :) )

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chris, the activity stream says it autoupdates.  However, to see the new items you need to click.  What I'd really like is auto refresh so you can see the new items without doing anything.  What do you think?

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rickca said:

the activity stream says it autoupdates.

 

I've noticed auto-updating on the Unread Content page, but it seems to have a time limit, since if I ignore it, navigate off the page, or off the browser, and do other things for a while, when I come back the page has frozen to a previous state, and I need to Refresh the page to get up-to-date and restart the auto-update for another indeterminate time...

 

I'm curious about this too !

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Chris / All, 

 

Not sure if this has been reported already but I selected Ignore Thread - on Jud's "Why do people come to Computer Audiophile to display contempt for audiophiles" thread as I'd contributed but felt the thread was going nowhere constructive. 

 

Anyway over 12 hours later and I'm still getting email updates for this thread. Is this a known issue? Or is there an additional step to unsubscribe from emails for a given thread? 

 

Thanks, 

Alan 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BigAlMc said:

Not sure if this has been reported already but I selected Ignore Thread - on Jud's "Why do people come to Computer Audiophile to display contempt for audiophiles" thread as I'd contributed but felt the thread was going nowhere constructive. 

 

Anyway over 12 hours later and I'm still getting email updates for this thread. Is this a known issue? Or is there an additional step to unsubscribe from emails for a given thread?

You also need to "unfollow" the thread. Ignoring doesn't do this automatically, apparently.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mansr said:

You also need to "unfollow" the thread. Ignoring doesn't do this automatically, apparently.

 

Thanks @mansr

 

Not to be difficult but I'm confused. So what is the intended use of Ignore This Topic then?

 

Thanks,

Alan

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

Not to be difficult but I'm confused. So what is the intended use of Ignore This Topic then?

That hides even non-followed threads from activity streams and, I believe, search results. It lets you create your own private version of history where the thread never existed. If only reality had a similar feature.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mansr said:

That hides even non-followed threads from activity streams and, I believe, search results. It lets you create your own private version of history where the thread never existed. If only reality had a similar feature.

 

Haha! Yeah that would be a very useful feature with a couple of my colleagues! ;) If only...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ignored individual's posts seem to be shown anyway under certain conditions.

 

When I'm reading a thread and one of the ignored individuals posts to this thread at the same time, clicking on the '10 new replies Show Replies'  link near the bottom of the page shows the ignored poster's complete message(s), along with all the other new messages posted to that thread. It's easy enough not to read these, but it seems to defeat the goal of the ignore option. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now