IGNORED

Site Issues, Updates, Changes, and Feedback Thread

What worked?

Obviously not the concerted effort I had been putting forth inside the box. 

Which is to say simply backspacing into it did work.  Yes, I feel as dumb right now as I am appreciative to mansr for reeducating me on how to use a comment box.  

1 hour ago, rando said:

Which is to say simply backspacing into it did work.

Interesting. That didn't work for me, on any of many attempts  :(

Perhaps the difference is the "Quote box" I couldn't delete was from the "Quote This" pop-up function (on selected post text), not the Editor tool button.

Do you know that you can abandon an aborted post attempt by 'Back'ing out of the page ?

On 5/8/2017 at 9:11 PM, Sal1950 said:

Shame you lost that nicely formatted Q&A input page for Profile-Audio System. I've restored mine from a cut & paste here that I've used elsewhere.

Although you may have restored it, your audio system still isn’t displayed, either on your public profile page or appended to your posts!

I hope Chris can restore this feature because a person's equipment sometimes is useful context in a discussion.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

11 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

I hope Chris can restore this feature because a person's equipment sometimes is useful context in a discussion.

If you can make it concise enough to fit, putting it in your sig makes that very convenient.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I thought I'd post a screenshot. Perhaps you like the old one, but when I look at the old one I think YUK.

I notice how much more information is presented to the busy audiophile !

And I remember how much more was there behind that screen, like system description info just discussed above...

And, in terms of the 'look'; I know a fair number of things about graphic design, and the most important of those is that I am NOT a graphic designer (through I do have a fair 'eye'), and neither are you. It takes a lot more learning, practice and talent, to be proficient at that job, then either of us has. Not even close. Perhaps you could enlist a CA member with the right 'chops' to help ?

I think the old design was pretty damn good ! I recall thinking long ago, that it was quite a nice design for a professed 'geek.  The color palette was pleasing, and helped separate and highlight key interface elements. The script 'logo' looked very good, and added a nice welcoming contrast to the usual techy font selections - perhaps a merger of the digital and the analog ?

Sure, I had my problems with the old CA, as with the new, but not so much with the styling, nope. Hands down better then this new... thing...  IMNSHO anyway.

Too much good, old, stuff is disappearing from the Web (epa.gov), and for why ?

43 minutes ago, Daudio said:

Perhaps you could enlist a CA member with the right 'chops' to help ?

I can't argue with your opinion about the new v. old site, but I can tell you the facts. I have a graphic designer, who attended the most prestigious art school in Minnesota, on retainer. Not cheap, but it's his area of expertise, not mine.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

One thing that bothers me about the new site is the elimination of the three-second rule (5 min, actually) for editing a post. I often make typos, or don't word something as well as I would have liked, and now, it's etched in stone on the internet forever as soon as I click Submit. Yes, I can still edit postings, but now everyone sees that I made a boo-boo.

54 minutes ago, wwaldmanfan said:

One thing that bothers me about the new site is the elimination of the three-second rule (5 min, actually) for editing a post. I often make typos, or don't word something as well as I would have liked, and now, it's etched in stone on the internet forever as soon as I click Submit. Yes, I can still edit postings, but now everyone sees that I made a boo-boo.

Are you talking about the message that "user X has edited this post?"

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, wwaldmanfan said:

but now everyone sees that I made a boo-boo

Ah, come on, we're all human, be a mensch, just get used to it  :)

Have a little fun with what you write in the "Reason for Edit"...

It could be seen as a commitment to the quality of your postings...

Or you could spin a conspiratorial mystery to your changes...

I see it all over the place here, doesn't even register anymore...

Nothing to be averse to, that I can see ?

And, I recall that it was there in previous versions of CA too, but it was smaller, fainter, and less obvious as now.  I think the time one has to go back and Edit, is a little longer now, as I haven't had any issues there. (!)

9 hours ago, Jud said:

If you can make it concise enough to fit, putting [your audio system] in your sig makes that very convenient.

There are sigs?  I don’t see your sig or anyone else's.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

I can't argue with your opinion about the new v. old site, but I can tell you the facts. I have a graphic designer, who attended the most prestigious art school in Minnesota, on retainer. Not cheap, but it's his area of expertise, not mine.

Graphic design is not exactly the same thing as efficient, useful design and, without making any specific reference to your designer, there are all too many awful products (software and hardware) designed by professionals. 

I like the information density of the old UI because it minimizes scrolling and clicking.  Also, my aging eyes like the harder contrast of the old text and graphics.  Yeah, I have learned to manage with the new one but I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Just now, Kal Rubinson said:

Graphic design is not exactly the same thing as efficient, useful design and, without making any specific reference to your designer, there are all too many awful products (software and hardware) designed by professionals. 

I like the information density of the old UI because it minimizes scrolling and clicking.  Also, my aging eyes like the harder contrast of the old text and graphics.  Yeah, I have learned to manage with the new one but I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

Have you tried the Blue theme (option below)?

Sigs are disabled on the mobile version.

I don’t see sigs on the desktop either.  (Safari, Firefox & Chrome browsers on Mac.)

32 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

What if you widen your web browser window?

No difference.  

I've attached a screenshot of what my browser displays.

Can you post a screenshot of what the Sig is supposed to look like?

Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 5.24.06 PM.png