IGNORED

Mqa-cd ??

This should be of interest to both guys who are currently buying CDs.

;)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I must be one of those two guys because I currently buy 10-15 a month. However, I rip them and play them back using JRiver instead of in a player. Still.......

So have you met the other guy?

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

;)

I think now CD suitable as gift in box only.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

Kidding aside, I do buy CDs occasionally. For new music, this is when I can't find it as a (RedBook or higher res) download and/or at reasonable prices. For old music, again it can't be available as a download at reasonable prices, and it's either a "find" at the local used record and CD store, or filling in a missing part of my/my wife's musical history. If the latter, it may be used if the new version is a victim of the "Loudness Wars" (e.g., a couple of old Bob Seger CDs I purchased on eBay).

The last CD I bought new was in December, Hamilton Leithauser + Rostam, "I Had A Dream That You Were Mine." Before that, I bought the Wailin' Jennys "40 Days" and Alison Krauss' "So Long So Wrong" in November.

Kidding aside, I do buy CDs occasionally. For new music, this is when I can't find it as a (RedBook or higher res) download and/or at reasonable prices. For old music, again it can't be available as a download at reasonable prices, and it's either a "find" at the local used record and CD store, or filling in a missing part of my/my wife's musical history. If the latter, it may be used if the new version is a victim of the "Loudness Wars" (e.g., a couple of old Bob Seger CDs I purchased on eBay).

So long as you don't have to pay too much for it, the DCC version of Night Moves is worth the effort to find.

Apparently not if it's SamuelTCogley as I've never met him.

I'm the other guy too (bought 25 CDs last month, admittedly in the Dutton clearance sale).

So MQA really is shaping up to be SACD or HDCD v2 (both of which are among my favourite varieties of "vaporware", especially on RR).

Interesting, but I can't work out if there is a point to MQA outside of streaming. People who are attached to their expensive legacy CD transports maybe, or looking to rip the CDs? But in latter case, why not just buy a flac download in the first place, assuming that MQA CDs will be not be budget items.

Interesting, but I can't work out if there is a point to MQA outside of streaming. People who are attached to their expensive legacy CD transports maybe, or looking to rip the CDs? But in latter case, why not just buy a flac download in the first place, assuming that MQA CDs will be not be budget items.

Because the wife doesn't know (and doesn't want to know) how to play digital files.

mQa is dead!

I definitely still buy a lot of used CDs. In most cases it's cheaper than any online FLAC store, and in many instances a new CD from Amazon is cheaper than the FLAC version online.

No interest in MQA CD, though.

Agreed and DSD downloads can be as much as 3 times the price of the same recording on SACD.

I'm yet another guy buying CDs. Quite rarely now - not dozens per month like I used to in 'bad old (cause) 16bit days'. I much prefer hi-res files. However since there are apparently quite a few of us here maybe we should create a CD buyers 'oldschool' CA group.. ;)

I'm the other guy too (bought 25 CDs last month, admittedly in the Dutton clearance sale).

So MQA really is shaping up to be SACD or HDCD v2 (both of which are among my favourite varieties of "vaporware", especially on RR).

The claim is that the MQA master will be better than the original FLAC, because the ADC "blurring" in the original will have been corrected, even in the CD-quality playback. If you run the CD output through a MQA-enabled DAC, you'll also get the unfolding and DAC-specific deblurring, as well.

No comment on whether or not this is *actually* better*, but that is the reason for making MQA available on CD rather than just via streaming.

*PS - Of the MQA files I've listened to, I agree it *is* better, but that is primarily a matter of opinion ;)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

So long as you don't have to pay too much for it, the DCC version of Night Moves is worth the effort to find.

I would have had to pay too much, so the old regular CD version was just fine.

The claim is that the MQA master will be better than the original FLAC, because the ADC "blurring" in the original will have been corrected, even in the CD-quality playback. If you run the CD output through a MQA-enabled DAC, you'll also get the unfolding and DAC-specific deblurring, as well.

No comment on whether or not this is *actually* better*, but that is the reason for making MQA available on CD rather than just via streaming.

*PS - Of the MQA files I've listened to, I agree it *is* better, but that is primarily a matter of opinion ;)

I prefer (if same mastering) the non-MQA slightly. I should mention that as a rule I don't like minimum phase filtering, and it is possible the "de-blurring" filter used in MQA is minimum phase.

;)

No, Jud, there are a lot more than 2 guys buying CDs.... But only 2 of them know what MQA is and have an MQA enabled DAC.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Swings and roundabouts...

Any theoretical "improvement" of the sound due to MQA processing of the signal recorded on the CD is negated by the real bit depth reduction, because they have to use the lowest (I think 3) bits of the 16-bit samples to store a significantly lossy encoding of the high frequencies "folded" by the "origami" process. It can be argued that the bit depth reduction, when playing on a non-MQA player, is usually inaudible because it's below the noise level of most real-world recordings. It can also be argued that the "deblurring" is equally inaudible, so why go to all this trouble?

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.