IGNORED

HQ Player- limitation to DSD128

PhilipAC

Hi all

Forgive me opening a new thread, but this is a very specific question.

In HQ player, is it possible to convert DSD256 files to DSD128, but leave everything else as native? (I have a server that seems to have a problem with DSD256, while I have a few DSD256 files). And if so, how?

Thanks Philip

With "everything else as native" you are missing the point why people are buying HQPlayer.

HQPlayer si about upsampling filters and delta sigma modulators to substitute processing in your DAC.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
In HQ player, is it possible to convert DSD256 files to DSD128, but leave everything else as native? (I have a server that seems to have a problem with DSD256, while I have a few DSD256 files). And if so, how?

You can easily convert everything to DSD128, but not selectively. If you want to do something selectively, you need to modify the settings in main window every time the source content format changes.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Thanks Miska

How do I convert everything to DSD128 please?

Philip

Set the output to 5.6MHz.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Thanks all.

I have now unchecked DirectSDM and up sampling is happening. BUT only up to 6.144MHz. If I set the limit higher than this e.g. to DSD256 level, the file still plays at 6.144MHz (or such lower number as I set).

My DAC certainly plays up to DSD512, so presumably this is a constraint of the server I'm using, which HQ Player cleverly recognises? Agreed please? Thanks

Philip, you began this thread by saying your server only plays file nicely up to DSD128 (aka 5.6mh or 6.1mhz, depending on sample rate family). This assumes you know its your server and not a DoP issue as bogi brings up.

Forget what your dac can do potentially; it is irrelevant if your server hiccups beyond DSD128!

Set max bitrate at either 5.6 or 6.1, turn off DirectSDM (which you did already) and let HQPlayer up or downsample to DSD128. If you want it always at 5.6 then uncheck auto family and set HQP for 5.6Mhz (or 44k x 128) and make sure right most pulldown on main screen is set for SDM (i.e EVERYTHING to DSD), not auto. If set for auto then all PCM will always upsample only to your max PCM and all DSD will upsample to your max DSD.

Ted- I have done as you and Solstice suggest, and I am now indeed able to upsample or (in the case of DSD256 files) downsample to DSD128. But I would still like to be able to play my DSD256 files at DSD256.

bibo01 My server is linux based and I am using DoP i.e. I am using a USB connection. Does this prevent me using DSD256? I thought I could so long as my USB module went up to PCM 705,600

I appreciate the help.

Try going to settings and set SDM Pack to "none" (i.e direct, not DoP). Why? Because DoP for DSD256 is quite rare, and often unusable if even available. Oversimplified but DoP is a band-aid if direct (i.e none) is not workable.

And BTW, if you find that setting SDM pack to "none" that you can now play your DSD256 files at DSD256 then try that bit rate for other things too.

Ted- thanks. I get no sound but presumably that's because I need to use a SPDIF connection between the server and the DAC?

maybe i missed it but what are the details about your system -- what are the specs on your server? are you using any software besides hqplayer? what's your dac?

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
Ted- thanks. I get no sound but presumably that's because I need to use a SPDIF connection between the server and the DAC?

Are you saying that you are using the S/PDIF input and not USB? If yes, then you need to use USB to go up. And a complete description of your playback chain sure would help!