IGNORED

Think twice before purchasing lossless files online

Hi guys. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but here it goes.

Few nights ago I met with an old friend at a bar. This is a guy who was big on music in high school. Huge vinyl collection, always purchased CD’s, etc. We started talking and after a while I asked him about his awesome vinyl collection and his take on digital music.

He tells me he has a side gig with apple and hd tracks. He says he provides them with music. He charges apple $2.88 (or $1.88 maybe?) per CD and HD tracks $2.79. They make him digitally sign some documents after he rips a certain amount of CD’s (apple after 25 i think and HD tracks after 10, with the list of albums he has ripped).

He says that since they have most stuff digitalized already, he provides them with lists every month of stuff he thinks they might be interested (imports, OOP sets, box sets). He said they’re rarely interested in new releases (maybe they do them in-house?).

So I asked him what program he uses to rip, which settings, blah blah. He tells me basically he rips using EAC burst mode and that 50% of the time he copies the mp3’s he got from Napster (or other trackers) to a CD-RW and then rips them to FLAC and/or other lossless format (don’t remember the name). He said neither apple nor hd tracks asks him for the log, cue, or anything. He said they did at first (during his trial period which lasted I don’t remember how many months) but not anymore.

Basically he said that new albums are ok to download (if you don’t mind burst mode) but anything released more than 5 years ago… well who knows. Hopefully it’s not him that is ripping them.

This is really troublesome. I don’t think I trust any company offering lossless music online anymore unless they provide the log, md5, cue and the files match CUEdatabase checksum. Otherwise I might as well be listening to mp3’s copied to CD-R then ripped to FLAC. Basically it’s like taking a picture (JPEG, not even RAW), printing it, scanning the picture and you get the end result.

He says he knows one more person doing this and employed by amazon. He doesn’t know how much amazon pays. He tried amazon but they didn’t need him.

Very concerning IMO. I don’t know about you guys but I’m not paying for a lossless file of a badly compressed lossy copy.

Don't believe a word of the OP.

Doesn't pass the "smell test". All of that would be easy to pickup, even with simple analysis by an "Audacity Cowboy" :) (sorry Bill, couldn't resist, wasn't directing the comment at you).

If you believe the OP, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I will sell you cheap....

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

When I read the thread title, I thought the OP was going to tell us that the music download services are selling dynamic range-crushed and brickwalled digital masters as "high-res", as if that would make them more listenable, like we didn't already know that.

I found the bar story more interesting. What were you guys drinking, anyway?

He never implied that apple and hd tracks were using the music illegally. I'm sure they are not. They probably pay for special licenses so they can sell the music. That's why my friend provides them with lists and signs those documents.

I just wrote both companies asking if they can provide EAC logs for the albums I buy from them. I'll let you know what they reply.

It's pretty simple in my opinion. Current tools allow you to verify 1) if the cd was ripped with secure mode and 2) if the checksum/code/cue or whatever it's called corresponds to that CD in the cue database. That would prevent what my friend is doing.

But wait. Isn't this forum supposed to be a safe space where everyone's anecdotal reports have equal validity and merit, whether they be from a professional providing careful measurements, or an anonymous internet observer who uses the name of an inflammatory comedian?

Story makes no sense at all considering that HDTracks focuses on high resolution music (the "HD" part of their name ), not CD quality. They do sell a few 16/44.1 albums but certainly not the stuff mentioned ("imports, OOP sets, box sets").

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Story makes no sense at all considering that HDTracks focuses on high resolution music (the "HD" part of their name ), not CD quality. They do sell a few 16/44.1 albums but certainly not the stuff mentioned ("imports, OOP sets, box sets").

Don't forget all the upsampled ones.

But wait. Isn't this forum supposed to be a safe space where everyone's anecdotal reports have equal validity and merit, whether they be from a professional providing careful measurements, or an anonymous internet observer who uses the name of an inflammatory comedian?

Shouldn't that be "inflammable comedian"?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

HDtracks sells files provided by the labels, not CD rips from random people on the internet.

There's a difference?

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Why would anyone go through the trouble of ripping CDs when they already have the digital masters? Also, CD rips are certainly not high-res.

I was not being serious. Sorry for not including a "winkie," but it's sort of like laughing at your own jokes.

What is the OPs handle? RICHARD PRYOR? HaHaHa.

Mr. Pryor,

If this is your real name, please accept my apology but...

Bob

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

When I read the thread title, I thought the OP was going to tell us that the music download services are selling dynamic range-crushed and brickwalled digital masters as "high-res", as if that would make them more listenable, like we didn't already know that.

I found the bar story more interesting. What were you guys drinking, anyway?

Just going by the user name they only stopped by the bar for some vodka to be used in the freebasing going on when this story was concocted.

Of course thinking of the gig, ripping CDs for $2.88 each. You could make a living doing it, but it would be a pretty miserable daily experience. I'd end up in a bar too.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

This is completely and utterly retarded. It makes absolutely no sense. Apple bothers to go to some schmuck to get files ripped? Nonesense!

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

He never implied that apple and hd tracks were using the music illegally. I'm sure they are not. They probably pay for special licenses so they can sell the music. That's why my friend provides them with lists and signs those documents.

I just wrote both companies asking if they can provide EAC logs for the albums I buy from them. I'll let you know what they reply.

It's pretty simple in my opinion. Current tools allow you to verify 1) if the cd was ripped with secure mode and 2) if the checksum/code/cue or whatever it's called corresponds to that CD in the cue database. That would prevent what my friend is doing.

Lets step back for a minute... We are even entertaining the idea that a company with a market cap of 738 BILLION dollars is hiring some schmuck too rip CDs for them? Really? Seriously? Fer sure? GOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

This is completely and utterly retarded. It makes absolutely no sense. Apple bothers to go to some schmuck to get files ripped? Nonesense!

Exactly. Everyone knows they can get minors in South Asian countries to rip their files for much less.