IGNORED

The weakest link?

I hope that this is the right subforum. I'm keen to hear any thoughts on what might be the weakest link(s) in my system, and potential upgrade paths. System:

Music Server(s):

Custom made i7 based server based on CAPS running Roon core; FLAC audio stored on NAS in adjacent room, connected to server via CAT6 ethernet cable

Music Server Operating System:

Microsoft Windows 10

Preferred Digital Interface(s):

FireWire, Ethernet (UPnP/DLNA)

Digital to Analog Converter(s):

Weiss DAC2

Amplifier(s):

Classe CAP-2100

Loudspeakers:

Vivid Audio B1

Interconnects:

Nordost Red Dawn XLR (balanced)

Loudspeaker Cables:

Atlas Ascent 2.0 MKII

Power Cables:

Nordost Shiva

Wyrewizard Magus

Isotek Elite

Remote Control(s):

iPhone

Remote Control Apps:

Roon Remote

There are 2 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

I would be hard pressed to name a weak link in your system.

Do you like your DAC? It's certainly a great one but you could try something like a Lampi for a different sound.

I see that your speakers are only rated down to 39hz perhaps adding a REL Sub?

Do you have any room treatments?

While rooms and treatment of rooms is of great interest to home theater buffs, audiophiles tend to avoid even thinking about rooms. And rooms are where the greatest gains can be made.

After rooms it's loudspeakers and amplifiers that are happy with the speakers.

Then it's making sure that everything in the system is operating the way we think it's operating. Digital components sometimes have a mind of their own. Analog components can have interference, ringing or oscillation outside the audio band.

Everything else is small change.

While rooms and treatment of rooms is of great interest to home theater buffs, audiophiles tend to avoid even thinking about rooms. And rooms are where the greatest gains can be made.

If room treatments are not feasible, consider DSP room correction. It can work wonders.

Thanks for these replies. It's funny, 3 of the suggestions given above are things that I have been thinking of lately - Lampizator DAC (if I can find the loot), room treatments (I currently don't have any), and using something like Room EQ Wizard to try room correction (if that is decent software, I know nothing about room correction)!

There are 2 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Light dimmers are critical to serious listening, if you don't already have them.

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

Thanks for these replies. It's funny, 3 of the suggestions given above are things that I have been thinking of lately - Lampizator DAC (if I can find the loot), room treatments (I currently don't have any), and using something like Room EQ Wizard to try room correction (if that is decent software, I know nothing about room correction)!

REQ Wizard will help you measuring but not correcting.

If you don't want to spend too much time learning all this, a software like Dirac may be a good solution. If you're comfortable with VST plug-ins or Foobar: Mathaudio is also a good solution.

Nice Speakers BTW :-)

I hope that this is the right subforum. I'm keen to hear any thoughts on what might be the weakest link(s) in my system, and potential upgrade paths. System:

It is always going to be the room/speaker interface, although there is an argument that you ought to have a sub to hear the bottom octave.

You are not a sound quality measurement device