IGNORED

A bit of Nostalgia

r_w

Stuff like this always makes me warm and fuzzy.

Nakamichi-Dragon.jpg

TDKMAXGad2.JPG

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

Stuff like this always makes me warm and fuzzy.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34013[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34012[/ATTACH]

It would for me, and then I remember what it sounded like....

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

What did the Nakamichi (any top model) and TDK MA-XG tape sound like to you?

It would for me, and then I remember what it sounded like....

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

Yes, a Nak Dragon. Saw one when I purchased an old McIntosh amp from a fellow. Wanted one very badly. I did get a Nak cassette machine which is really fantastic vs other cassette machines. Still craved the Dragon which seemed the pinnacle of cassette machines.

Alas 3 or so years ago you could buy working examples for pretty much peanuts. Like so many things you crave when younger, by the time you could afford it or it becomes affordable you don't crave it so much anymore. If I had managed to acquire one back then it would have made me somewhat happy in a sense. It would maybe just a tiny bit now, but not very much. Either way it seems a cruel fact of life that I missed out on something I wanted and cared about. Doubly cruel in that acquiring it now wouldn't be satisfying much.

I did see recently where unopened Maxell and TDK tape apparently goes for maybe $10 each. I do have possibly a hundred of those unopened. So do I sale now or will they climb higher? Probably sell now. I could get one or two good microphones for that much money.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Agee sadly this stuff will never likely make any kind of a comeback. I've still got my Nak, will never sell it, but it never gets used.

It was a wonderful time back then when you could make stunning recordings that used to have people utterly baffled at the sound quality.

Probably best to sell your tapes sooner, rather than later.

;-)

Yes, a Nak Dragon. Saw one when I purchased an old McIntosh amp from a fellow. Wanted one very badly. I did get a Nak cassette machine which is really fantastic vs other cassette machines. Still craved the Dragon which seemed the pinnacle of cassette machines.

Alas 3 or so years ago you could buy working examples for pretty much peanuts. Like so many things you crave when younger, by the time you could afford it or it becomes affordable you don't crave it so much anymore. If I had managed to acquire one back then it would have made me somewhat happy in a sense. It would maybe just a tiny bit now, but not very much. Either way it seems a cruel fact of life that I missed out on something I wanted and cared about. Doubly cruel in that acquiring it now wouldn't be satisfying much.

I did see recently where unopened Maxell and TDK tape apparently goes for maybe $10 each. I do have possibly a hundred of those unopened. So do I sale now or will they climb higher? Probably sell now. I could get one or two good microphones for that much money.

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Had a Nakamichi. It sounded almost as good as my fairly modest (Dual 506) turntable- but not as good. Still couldn't totally eliminate the hiss of the tape without harming the sound of the highs.

Digital today - pretty much any pretty good home setup - sounds way better, IMO. It's also possible my phone playing back 256k mp3s on good IEM's sounds much better.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

Agee sadly this stuff will never likely make any kind of a comeback. I've still got my Nak, will never sell it, but it never gets used.

;-)

Same here. Still have my NAK RX-202 from maybe 25+ years ago. It's in the closet now and every once in a while I look at it just because. The auto-reverse function was the best and it was quite a showstopper back in the day. :)

Lyngdorf MP40..Aurender N200..Panasonic UB9000..SimAudio Titan MCH Amp..Emotiva BasX A4..KEF Ref 1 Meta..Dali Phantom IW..SVS Prime Elevation(4)..JL Audio F112..Shunyata Research Ztron Alpha HC/Digital..IsoAcoustics Gaia II, Orea Bronze..Billy Bags rack.

Same here. Still have my NAK RX-202 from maybe 25+ years ago. It's in the closet now and every once in a while I look at it just because. The auto-reverse function was the best and it was quite a showstopper back in the day. :)

Yes, I'd forgotten about that. It was cool to show off. Even the people who didn't appreciate the sound appreciated the auto-reverse function.

Well..the Nakamichi Dragon sounded fine to me. But then, most people on this site don't think much of audio memory....right?

Bought mine in Japan. Used it for a long time, then one day I was taking it down to the basement to box and store when I missed a step and me and the mighty Dragon went down. I was ok, but the Dragon, sadly, got a nice big dent on one corner. Sold it later for about $25. bucks.

I would still have the damn thing, if I could manage stairs better.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

Audio cassettes had already peaked by the time I was assembling my first component system in college in the early 90s. I do remember drooling over a Nakamichi Dragon at Hillcrest High Fidelity in Dallas, but at the time I felt my money was better spent on Adcom separates and a Denon CD changer. The auto reverse mechanism was definitely a show stopper.

I did end up buying a JVC V-541, which was a fine cassette deck in its own right. I recall recording Eric Clapton Unplugged from MTV before it was available on CD, and my friends were blown away that a cassette recording from TV could sound so good. I ended up selling that deck in about 1998, probably at 2/3 of its original value.

JVC V-541.png