IGNORED

Routers, please keep your distance!!

It took me months to discover the cause of network instability which was making my AVR unusable. Members of this group tried to help, and those of another forum too. Finally, Marantz told me to move my router away from my TV box, even though it was the AVR which appeared to have the problem. With several metres between the router and both the TV box and the AVR, all was sweetness and light. From a network which fell over every day and took the AVR's network settings down with it to a perfectly behaved system.

I'm sharing this because I haven't seen anything written on this, so if you're having a stability problem, here's a possible cause.

Louise

It took me months to discover the cause of network instability which was making my AVR unusable. Members of this group tried to help, and those of another forum too. Finally, Marantz told me to move my router away from my TV box, even though it was the AVR which appeared to have the problem. With several metres between the router and both the TV box and the AVR, all was sweetness and light. From a network which fell over every day and took the AVR's network settings down with it to a perfectly behaved system.

I'm sharing this because I haven't seen anything written on this, so if you're having a stability problem, here's a possible cause.

Louise

Thank you for sharing - it's amazing how it's sometimes the simple things that cause the most intractable problems :P

We have a set of wireless Sennheiser headphones we use for late-night TV watching. Every few weeks, they'd start "acting up"; i.e., sound would cut in and out for no apparent reason. I always wound up "rebooting" them to solve the problem, always temporarily, for the issue would inevitably return within a few weeks :/

I finally figured out what was happening - the headphones were using almost the same 2.4GHz band as my WiFi router, and every once in a while, they'd choose a channel that overlapped! Given I have no other 2.4GHz wireless devices in the house, I simply disabled that band on my WiFi router and, "Bingo!" - no more dropouts.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

I try to keep things as separated as possible. EM emissions can wreak havoc in many places.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects