IGNORED

iFi Audio iGalvanic3.0 - The Holy Grail of Computer Audio

On 3/27/2017 at 7:04 AM, AMR/iFi audio said:

In the iGalvanic3.0, USB is already re-clocked twice - either side of the galvanic isolation stage. Because ALL Isolation systems ADD significant amounts of jitter. And as USB is BI-DIRECTIONAL. The signal is a two-way system (think of a phone line making two ways conversations).

For it to be reclocked a third time by a separate external box, then that may be beneficial for long runs say more than 5m. Shorter runs should have much of an impact so probably not that beneficial.

Hi again guys, just wondering if you can clarify.

You say re-clocking is done each side of the galvanic isolation stage.

Is the re-generating (REgenerate) also done each side (i.e. done twice)?

Is re-clocking and re-generating the same thing in this case? If not, can you explain the difference between them in this product?

Thank you !

And I know my next question will be answered by many user impressions shortly, but in your testing did you find the iGalvanic3.0 on it's own performed better than an Intona + iPurifier2 combination, for example ?

In terms of measurements (noise) and listening tests ?

20 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Hi again guys, just wondering if you can clarify.

You say re-clocking is done each side of the galvanic isolation stage.

Is the re-generating (REgenerate) also done each side (i.e. done twice)?

Is re-clocking and re-generating the same thing in this case? If not, can you explain the difference between them in this product?

Thank you !

Yes, our proprietary REclock/REgenerate/REbalance tech is implemented on BOTH sides of galvanic isolation. Why? Because galvanic isolation creates jitter like there's no tmorrow :o 

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

20 hours ago, Em2016 said:

And I know my next question will be answered by many user impressions shortly, but in your testing did you find the iGalvanic3.0 on it's own performed better than an Intona + iPurifier2 combination, for example ?

In terms of measurements (noise) and listening tests ?

AMR/iFi policy refrains us from commenting on another manufacturer's product, hence we can't share any impressions. 

What we can say is that the iGalvanic3.0 was designed from the ground-up as a device dedicated for audiophile use ONLY. This means the cleanest, purest handling of the audio signal AND power.

As an example, the 'Stealth Power' tech where the iGalvanic3.0 is the first model to have this, gives it a noise floor of 0.5uV (or 0.0000005V) which is the same as the nano iUSB3.0 which is fed by the iPower!  

This is just one small indication of how we have improved power supply tech to aftermarket, bespoke levels.

3 hours ago, AMR/iFi audio said:

AMR/iFi policy refrains us from commenting on another manufacturer's product, hence we can't share any impressions. 

What we can say is that the iGalvanic3.0 was designed from the ground-up as a device dedicated for audiophile use ONLY. This means the cleanest, purest handling of the audio signal AND power.

As an example, the 'Stealth Power' tech where the iGalvanic3.0 is the first model to have this, gives it a noise floor of 0.5uV (or 0.0000005V) which is the same as the nano iUSB3.0 which is fed by the iPower!  

This is just one small indication of how we have improved power supply tech to aftermarket, bespoke levels.

Great stuff guys. 

One thing I am concerned about is compatibility with my system and Dac - I know there are thousands of very happy Intona customers out there but the Intona didn't play nice with my Dac and had to be returned. But we won't know until I test it.

The other thing is I had an issue in the past with my iPurifier2. Try not to laugh here (I know it will be hard) but I had the exact same fridge problem that this guy had: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-audio-theory-setup-chat/1497947-usb-dac-amp-pop-when-mini-fridge-same-room-turns-off.html

Each time the fridge thermostat relay clicked , my Dac would turn off too. However when I took the Purifier2 out of the chain and no other changes, no problems. I repeated this at least 20 times to make sure it wasn't anything else. I was surprised because the iPurifier2 is in all metal housing so I thought was nicely protected from RFI. My microRendu doesn't have that issue either with the same Dac either.

Anyway that's my only bad experience with iFi previously and if I purchase this iGalvanic3.0 I hope it's not an issue.

USB is in the AMR/iFi DNA

Over a decade of development

Our newest and one of our most ‘challenging’ USB products, the iGalvanic3.0 has stirred interest in the technology it possess. The following article sheds light on how we arrived at the iGalvanic3.0. It was certainly not our ‘first USB rodeo.’

1.thumb.png.21640f3e871d938753d410926870d39f.png

2006. A long time ago in an audio sector far, far away…

Back in 2006 when AMR first launched the CD-777 Reference Class cd player, it was one of, if not the first to feature a USB input – just switch to ‘DAC’ mode, connect a laptop and enter the world of computer audio.

2.thumb.png.4c1535546f31cf5f15d91ea5235e624a.png 

At the heart of the CD-77 beats the king of the MultiBit chipsets - the Philips TDA1541A. We have stockpiled these, the most rare and sought-after of ALL DAC chipsets. We believe we hold the world’s last remaining stock of several thousand pieces. We are holding them in reserve for something special, someday. Just like a vintage bottle of Dom Perignon, they are a great long-term investment.

3.thumb.png.3a316059da9f0937ba20c26d982e3ba7.png

Picture of some of our inventory of TDA1541As

Back in January 2007, at CES, we believed we were one of, if not the first, to showcase the CD_77 at the heart of Computer Audio System (CAS).

We had a laptop running Winamp feeding the CD-77 with a HTC Athena ‘e-Bible’ as remote control!

4.thumb.jpg.bf19176dacaf12fbeffe483cb4a03948.jpg

http://www.amr-audio.co.uk/html/24th_Jannuary_2007.html#q13

We were already demonstrating computer audio using a Smartphone as the remote source six months PRIOR to the launch of the iPhone!

5.thumb.jpg.2e3838e65750aa8c456fd8922f9565eb.jpg

Incidentally, this was the first time we had come across ‘IZ’.  His cover of ‘Somewhere Over the Rainbow’ was bewitching. We played the FLAC file during the rest of the show and everyone assumed it was a CD being spun on the CD-77!

More to come, 2008 and beyond…

On 10.04.2017 at 2:19 AM, alcarp said:

Can the IGalvanic 3.0 be used in conjunction with the MicroRendu?

If so, will it further improve sound quality?

MR has a Re-gen built-in. Hence it's inherently galvanically isolated from earth and mains (through the power supply) if a power supply without ground is used. And MR has a USB repeater build in.

Only the USB connection itself is not galvanically isolated, but that is generally not a big issue all by itself. 

With a MR the first focus should be the power supply to the device itself (e.g. iPOWER as minimum). Then power supply to the DAC if it uses USB power. And if a cable between MR & DAC is more than a few inches, a USB repeater on the DAC side.

The iFi iGalvanic3.0 looks very promising. I read the post above on mircroRendu, but still not clear whether I would see any improvements if buying the iFi iGalvanic.

Here is my setup now:

mRendu as a Roon Enpoint / Player ---> USB cable ---> Singxer SU-1 ---> HDMI Cable ---> i2S Port on Holo Spring KTE L3

As you said, mRendu is galvanically isolated itself (Ethernet based), and SU-1 does the reclocking and so on, plus the added benefit if i2s usage.

Is iGalvanic3.0 redundant for my system?

2 hours ago, thyname said:

The iFi iGalvanic3.0 looks very promising. I read the post above on mircroRendu, but still not clear whether I would see any improvements if buying the iFi iGalvanic.

Here is my setup now:

mRendu as a Roon Enpoint / Player ---> USB cable ---> Singxer SU-1 ---> HDMI Cable ---> i2S Port on Holo Spring KTE L3

As you said, mRendu is galvanically isolated itself (Ethernet based), and SU-1 does the reclocking and so on, plus the added benefit if i2s usage.

Is iGalvanic3.0 redundant for my system?

We can't predict the exact outcome as we don't own your exact setup and are not equipped with your own pair of ears ^_^ 

Hence the best way is to try our device, let your ears be the judge!

24 minutes ago, AMR/iFi audio said:

We can't predict the exact outcome as we don't own your exact setup and are not equipped with your own pair of ears ^_^ 

Hence the best way is to try our device, let your ears be the judge!

Understood! Although, as with anything in this hobby, "let your ears be the judge" translates in more money, tweaking and hassle.

If I were to get an iGalvanic3.0, which one of the components in my setup / chain would it replace? Or is it on top of what I have?

You guys should start work on an Ethernet cleaner before Uptone does. Because from what I hear, the latest Ravenna based interface is going into a plethora of DAC's and active speakers that are supposed to be unveiled at RMAF. I really don't see how anyone will be interested in USB based products after this. 

On 12.04.2017 at 6:58 PM, thyname said:

Understood! Although, as with anything in this hobby, "let your ears be the judge" translates in more money, tweaking and hassle.

If I were to get an iGalvanic3.0, which one of the components in my setup / chain would it replace? Or is it on top of what I have?

Most retailers have 30-day (or longer) trial. So you can try it. Perhaps tweaking and hassle is worth the effortxD?

And iGalvanic3.0 wouldn't replace any of your components as what it mainly provides is a USB galvanic isolation. Its place in your setup would be past MR and before SU-1.

On 12.04.2017 at 7:09 PM, tedwoods said:

+1.

We need a lan isolator at a decent price.

You guys should start work on an Ethernet cleaner before Uptone does. Because from what I hear, the latest Ravenna based interface is going into a plethora of DAC's and active speakers that are supposed to be unveiled at RMAF. I really don't see how anyone will be interested in USB based products after this. 

Ethernet is inherently galvanically isolated. So it does not need an isolator.

Core issues are around Ethernet switches (where AV has very different requirements than standard networking) and possible repeaters to assure signal integrity.

Seeing the current state of the Ethernet AV market, with multiple competing and mutually incompatible standards, all of which use "streaming" mode protocols and are by far more bandwidth limited than USB. It is probably somewhat premature to declare Ethernet audio the end of all and USB/IEE1394 as dead. Time will tell.

1. DLNA, AVB, Dante, Ravenna to name the more mainstream audio ones

2. Streaming mode Ethernet is subject to the same problems as isochronous USB, namely guarantedd bandwidth but no re-transmission on error

1 minute ago, AMR/iFi audio said:

Ethernet is inherently galvanically isolated. So it does not need an isolator.

Core issues are around Ethernet switches (where AV has very different requirements than standard networking) and possible repeaters to assure signal integrity.

Seeing the current state of the Ethernet AV market, with multiple competing and mutually incompatible standards, all of which use "streaming" mode protocols and are by far more bandwidth limited than USB. It is probably somewhat premature to declare Ethernet audio the end of all and USB/IEE1394 as dead.

There's no bandwidth limitations to Ravenna, only the bandwidth of the network. . Here's details on the latest board going into dozen's of DAC's and active speakers this year. 

• Small form factor (59.6 x 44.5 mm)
  • 2 versions: standard  (offering a cost-effective entry-point for low to moderate channel count, max 64x64 @ 1FS) and high performance (for higher channel count, max 256x256 @ 1FS, higher sampling frequencies, a combination thereof or higher processing requirements)
  • Interconnection with the main board is done via piggyback connectors
  • Channel based routing matrix with over 1000 channels capacity
  • All PCM sampling frequencies from 44.1 to 192 kHz plus DXD and 384kHz supported. DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256 supported.
  • Full RAVENNA/AES67 IP stack including PTP (Precision Time Protocol, as Per RAVENNA/AES67 IEEE-1588-2008 standard) with master or slave capability
  • Channel based routing matrix
  • for low wander/jitter multi-devices synchronization over the Network 
  • Low Phase Noise built-in Master Oscillator with optional facility to be locked to an externally supplied clock signal for even higher long-term stability (ie. OCXO, Atomic clock or GPS disciplined oscillator)
  • Single 3.3V Power Supply with low Power Consumption (expected typically under 5W)

USB is in the AMR/iFi DNA - part #2

Over a decade of development

2008. The PH-77 Phono Equalizer with hi-res 24/96 ADC.

At CES 2008, we showcased a prototype of the PH-77 Phono Equalizer with built-in 24/96 analogue-to-digital converter. Vinyl + Hi-Res Computer Audio Recording- heck yes!

LL

Below is a picture of the Tower of Power – a full AMR system consisting of CD/77/PH-77/several AM-77s and/LS-77 all in bi-amp configuration. The sound had power and finesse in spades.           

LL

http://www.amr-audio.co.uk/html/26_jan2008.html

Not long after the show, during a review of the PH-77 Phono Equalizer, we were asked to investigate a ‘system hum’ in the ultra high-end system of a reviewer that may or may not have been down to the PH-77. We dashed to Heathrow and ‘hopped across the pond’ to troubleshoot the system. It was one of the first major setups where we came across a ground loop.

AMR Director – Technology, Thorsten Loesch hit a nearby Radioshack beforehand and armed with a bunch of wires and meters, we went to pour over the reviewer’s system. We stood back and, along with our USA colleague Darren Censullo, we were on tenterhooks as our Thorsten went troubleshooting the system…it was like Godzilla ripping up downtown Tokyo. We still remember it vividly today as the system totaled +$250,000. The Tara Labs interconnects were similar pricing to the PH-77! All we could imagine was a shop sign that said:

LL

Fortunately, nothing of the sort happened and, after our Tonmeister spent an afternoon there, we managed to resolve the issues. This incident was etched in our memory banks as we came to realise how quite common place this was. This instance sowed the seeds for USB, grounding and galvanic isolation in future products.

2009/10. The 777 – Galvanic Isolation makes its first appearance.

The launch of the AMR 777 Premier Class saw the introduction of galvanic isolation after the USB to digital audio conversion stage in the CD-77.1 and CD-777.

LL

This required designing in ground-up and dealing with jitter introduced by isolation stages.

LL

In 2010, the AMR 77 series also saw the 77.1 revisions make their debut for the CD-77.1 with galvanic isolation and AM-77.1.

Stay tuned, there's more!