IGNORED

iFi Audio iGalvanic3.0 - The Holy Grail of Computer Audio

I posted if anyone’s dac needs 5 volts as well.  

There usb iso only needs the 5 volts if you dac does. As for a psu any lps is fine to use or even the 5 volts from you server or a ifi 5 volt device. 

As for speed being usb 2.0 over 3.0. Speed of either one is way above what’s needed for any audio streaming requirements.  

On 27/03/2018 at 10:49 PM, PPk said:

Currently? I'm using side data port to dac. Side power port is where I plug in. 

There's connector for DC plug as well, that should work for the iusb DC in. 

shifted the groundhog from usb port to the dc in using the dc spade... at the same time i turn off the iso earth on the micro iusb. 

Folks, it's that time of a year, you know... eggs and all that jazz. Hence please allow us to leave our critter here:

5abd69ce95d97_iFiEasterEgg.thumb.png.f3831a69e2603521cc2eb3c33c0aa372.png

... aaaaand that's it! Right? RIGHT?!?

Well, nope.

We have something very special to share with you tomorrow. Very, very special.

Stay tuned!

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

Extra Ordinary MQA Easter Egg

[IMG]

Introduction

With Easter just around the corner, iFi audio has delivered an eagerly anticipated upgrade option as a very special Easter gift.

iFi first introduced MQA into its product mix with the nano iDSD Black Label in November 2017. Since then, iFi customers across the globe have been asking when this option would be available in other iFi products. The good news is that the latest improvements to the nano Black Label firmware version 5.30, ‘Cookies & Cream’, does just that.

Mqa for all

This latest firmware flavour not only adds the latest scoop to the nano iDSD Black Label sundae but it also dishes out MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) audio to the full range* of iFi audio products going back to 2013!

[IMG]

This ‘legacy’ update means that you can now download the MQA upgrade (PC and Mac) straight from the Support section of iFi’s website at no extra cost.

Mqa optimised

Firmware version 5.30 will optimise your device for MQA and can handle up to DSD256 and PCM384. Enjoy the MQA magic like never before.

And Finally…

None of the above would have been possible without the MQA software engineers who worked tirelessly alongside the iFi software team to make this unique opportunity happen. Thank you.

Go to https://ifi-audio.com/audio_blog/mqa-firmware/ to enjoy your upgrade.

This firmware provides MQA rendering as this is the ideal solution for portable products and those with power considerations. This means the workload is shared between the host (the computer) and the client (the DAC). The listener will still enjoy full MQA experience.

For more information on MQA, go to http://www.mqa.co.uk/customer/how-it-works

Legacy

*The only exception is the original iDAC.

Do the DACs switch in and out of using  MQA filtering acc’d to Whether. The file is an MQA file or not?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

43 minutes ago, firedog said:

Do the DACs switch in and out of using  MQA filtering acc’d to Whether. The file is an MQA file or not?

I'm not touching this firmware until we get confirmation that non-MQA material is completely unaffected.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Easter ‘Bug Bounty’ Hunt

Hunt 'em, wherever they are...

bounty1.thumb.jpg.38271577092d083f8f1a7d6ae00a63f6.jpg

Introduction

Our just announced firmware v5.30 is MQA capable and in one fell swoop, elevates legacy iFi products* with MQA capability for even more sonic enjoyment.

The MQA integration was a little difficult. It involved:

• Totally replacing the customised core code
  • Re-apply tuning/core loading and
  • Further fine tuning the firmware for even more precise allocated resource use in order to allow us to support MQA and384kHz.

To bring all this to fruition required the combined efforts of the MQA and iFi software developers or a total of +1,000 programming hours to deliver firmware v5.30 (excluding testing on all iFi legacy units).

Notwithstanding, there may still be one or two software bugs we have not quashed – hence we would like to involveyou, the customer  in the Easter Bug Hunt.

More details are to be found in this thread:

• 3 weeks later...

igalvanic with micro iusb 3.. the sound is scarily impressive... 

on my setup my igalvanic is on flip up position, iso earth is disengaged on iusb3. 

throw in groundhog on iusb3 DC in, idefender at laptop(source) with power feed from iusb3(one of the usb power port).

I'm still lacking 1 mercury cable, still waiting for stock to be in. looks like i can stop chasing improvement once i have completed this ifi chain :D

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/17/2017 at 4:08 PM, AMR/iFi audio said:

Yes, but not night and day difference. iGalvanic3.0 for iDSD Black Label is quite an overkill. You can put racing breaks and tires to a Prius, that's doable. But doesn't make too much sense:D

I'm using the iGalvanic3.0 with the iDSD Black Label and iPurifier2 and boy howdy does it make a difference.  I disagree.  I can't believe you just called your own product "overkill" for the Black Label.  It's night/day incredible difference.

IMG_0087.JPG

IMG_0246.thumb.JPG.0d12db44db4767929e6dc9fe23a37646.JPGHP 17z Laptop  >>>  iDefender + iPower  >>>  iGalvanic 3.0  >>>  iPurifier2  >>>  Micro iDSD Black Label  >>>  HD6XX and K553Pro

16 hours ago, Condocondor said:

I'm using the iGalvanic3.0 with the iDSD Black Label and iPurifier2 and boy howdy does it make a difference.  I disagree.  I can't believe you just called your own product "overkill" for the Black Label.  It's night/day incredible difference.

IMG_0087.JPG

Fair enough :D

• 2 weeks later...

Found something I thought everyone would find interesting regarding the cost some manufactures will go to to acheive USB galvanic isolation:  Consider the very expensive Chord Electronics Hugo2 for $2700 and the Hugo TT for $4700.  The Hugo2 IS NOT GALVANICALLY ISOLATED.  For that, you'll need to spend an additional $2000 to step up to the Hugo TT. 
Below is a quote from a Chord Vendor regarding the differences between the Hugo2 and the TT:

"The differences from Hugo to TT are:

1.    Galvanic isolation on the USB. This stops RF noise from the source creating noise floor modulation within the analog electronics. It also prevents signal correlated but distorted ground currents from corrupting the small signal distortion performance. The SQ benefits are smoother and warmer SQ with better instrument separation and focus, and better sound-stage depth."

IMG_0246.thumb.JPG.0d12db44db4767929e6dc9fe23a37646.JPGHP 17z Laptop  >>>  iDefender + iPower  >>>  iGalvanic 3.0  >>>  iPurifier2  >>>  Micro iDSD Black Label  >>>  HD6XX and K553Pro

I am new to this thread and I am about to buy the bundle iGal + ipwr idefend etc 

I was thinking of INtona since it has been out for a while and good review but perhaps the iGal being newer may have more updated tech and more future proof. Anyone commented or compared the 2 ?  I may have missed it in this 2 yr long thread!  Compare Intona + iGalvanic alone without other gadgets in the chain? 

Regarding the iGalvanic, it runs off USB power just like the iPurifier2 does.  So you don't have to "plug it in" as some of the other products.  This allows you a modicum of transportability with a portable or trans-portable device.  That said, I just got the iPower and iDefender today to add to the iGalvanic.   I will find out what difference this makes with my Micro iDSD Black Label.