IGNORED

Power Supply (8+) Group Test, LPS and SMPS

1 minute ago, Superdad said:

Not applicable. The LT3094 is a negative voltage regulator version of the LT3045.

http://www.analog.com/en/products/lt3094.html

Applications

• RF and Precision Power Supplies
  • Very Low Noise Instrumentation
  • High Speed/High Precision Data Converters
  • Medical Applications: Diagnostics and Imaging
  • Post-Regulator for Switching Supplies

🎛️  Audio System  

3 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Applications

• Post-Regulator for Switching Supplies

So? The LT3045 spec sheet says the same thing.  We all know that.  The point is, the brand new (barely available) LT3094 is for negative rail supplies, not for +DC voltage.  It is still great news for analog circuit designers needing to build an ultra-low-noise bi-polar supply.  It is just not applicable here.

9 minutes ago, Superdad said:

So? The LT3045 spec sheet says the same thing.  We all know that.  The point is, the brand new (barely available) LT3094 is for negative rail supplies, not for +DC voltage.  It is still great news for analog circuit designers needing to build an ultra-low-noise bi-polar supply.  It is just not applicable here.

Sorry, I just read the great specs and that it was suitable forSMPS pre-reg. Did’nt notice the negative only remark for the LT3094. 

🎛️  Audio System  

8 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Sorry, I just read the great specs and that it was suitable forSMPS pre-reg. Did’nt notice the negative only remark for the LT3094. 

The performance of the LT3094 is virtually identical to the LT3045 (with LT3045 a little better on most metrics).  The only difference--besides being for negative rails--is a slightly wider output voltage setting range (to -19.5V versus +15V), though perhaps the 3045 can go that high and they just never said so.

2 hours ago, Cornan said:

Or you could buy yourself a cheap floating SMPS (like Gophert csp-3205II) followed by LT3045 in series (making it a LPS with a SMPS feeder supply). That would give you some extra cash to improve other things like isolation transformer, DC blocker and better ICs. ?

Oh, doesn't that SMPS still back pollute the AC grid though and in turn affect other components?

4 hours ago, the_doc735 said:

Oh, doesn't that SMPS still back pollute the AC grid though and in turn affect other components?

All SMPS is not the same! I’ve used the Gophert for many tasks during the years and find it extremely good as a feeder supply for LT3045s. Just as good as a balanced ac-ac PSU. Much better than Uptone Audios supplied SMPS as a feeder supply for LPS-1.2. When powering a router or a ethernet switch it do improve by grounding the DC negative output just like my LPS do (but not when powering other non-ethernet devices though)

🎛️  Audio System  

• 1 month later...

What about a Lithium iron phosphate battery (Life Battery).  Wouldn't that be cleaner than the alkaline?  Was thinking about adding one to digital side of a DAC.

Dahlquist DQ-10 Speakers DQ-LP1 crossover 2 DW-1 Subs

Dynaco Mk III Mains - Rotel 991 Subs

Wyred W4S Pre Gustard X10 DAC

SOtM dx-USB-HD reclocked SOtMmBPS-d2s

Intel Thin-mini ITX

23 hours ago, robi20064 said:

I can second that. Also if anyone could compare MK1 or MK2 Sbooster to SR4 and willing to share his experience, that would be nice as well.

Unfortunately, the MK1 is not being produced anymore. My fellow countryman Hans Beekhuijzen did a review about the MK2 and concluded that the MK2 is the better sounding product.

• 1 month later...

I hope this is the right place to ask such questions : talking about Zero zone LPS units, how might this one stack up :

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cavalli-monoprice-monolith-liquid-platinum-power-supply-option.889962/page-2#post-14692280

Please note that Zero zone have especially customized this LPS unit as a possible replacement for the stock SMPS unit of the Monoprice Cavalli Liquid Platinum pictured and spec'ed here :

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33305