IGNORED

Usb cable delay on playback

I have a playback delay problem using a USB Cable on Rpi3..

I have cheaper USB that plays with 4 seconds between tracks.

When i try the 'Posh' expensive USB cable, it

turns into 30 + seconds between tracks! (sounds better though!)

I am using Rpi3 to USB/SPDif converter to a DAC. Picoreplayer and LSM.

Squeezebox app on iPad/iphone to control..

Any thoughts??

Any thoughts??

Any difference in the length of the two cables?

Any thoughts??

The more expensive cable sounds better and takes longer because it bathes and massages the electrons on the way past.

You are not a sound quality measurement device

Take a guess.
The overwhelming likelihood is that a cable which transmits much slower is likely to be faulty. This is not surprising, as expensive boutique cables are generally not made by competent engineers.

This cable was made by a a very competent engineer indeed. So it's a bit of a mystery

The overwhelming likelihood is that a cable which transmits much slower is likely to be faulty. This is not surprising, as expensive boutique cables are generally not made by competent engineers.
I just had an email response from him, he said it could be down to lack of screening and some interference coming into play

In other words....

"6.3 CableUSB cable consists of four conductors, two power conductors, and two signal conductors.High-/full-speed cable consists of a signaling twisted pair, VBUS, GND, and an overall shield. High-/fullspeedcable must be marked to indicate suitability for USB usage (see Section 6.6.2). High-/full-speedcable may be used with either low-speed, full-speed, or high-speed devices. When high-/full-speed cable isused with low-speed devices, the cable must meet all low-speed requirements.Low-speed recommends, but does not require the use of a cable with twisted signaling conductors"

So why not use a (full-speed or high speed) compliant usb cable?

I just had an email response from him, he said it could be down to lack of screening and some interference coming into play

...so the player is taking longer to find an acceptable signal.

If you are very wedded to this cable, see what possible sources of interference are around (power or other signal cables, especially those running along parallel paths close by, switching-mode power supplies, a/k/a "wall warts" or "bricks," items of video or digital audio equipment the cable may be lying on, etc.) and see whether you can move or even eliminate them. In other words, see whether you can achieve a cleaner more simplified layout, especially in the vicinity of this cable.

If you cannot, or if you do and the problem persists, then you will want to look at other cables, unless you wish to spend your listening life waiting half a minute for the next track to play.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Thanks Jud

i'll give it a whirl

Thanks All for your input

Excuse my blunt questioning, but as suggested the by far most likely and perhaps only explanation is the silver cable is barely working to make the connection of the USB signal. Why would you continue the use of a nearly faulty, barely functioning cable? Even if you manage to screen it from some nearby interference the cable is marginal for USB. Use a proper cable that doesn't have this problem.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Yes that states the obvious but as I said in original post this cablebis on hone demo

It sounds amazing and was trying to find out out if there was a work around to making this amazing sounding cable work without any delay. Of course I can change the cable to another cable I have but that's not the Point of the original Question is it! Just posting change the cable to one that works, is kinda pointless.

Yes that states the obvious but as I said in original post this cablebis on hone demo

It sounds amazing and was trying to find out out if there was a work around to making this amazing sounding cable work without any delay. Of course I can change the cable to another cable I have but that's not the Point of the original Question is it! Just posting change the cable to one that works, is kinda pointless.

I find it very unlikely that a cable having trouble getting a lock onto the USB signal, that may be effected by interference or more likely simply doesn't meet USB spec, is also doing some great and wonderful thing that results in better sound. But I am kinda funny that way. Just changing to a cable that works seems like quite a reasonable solution to one that is hardly working. But that is just me. Pointless, but not waiting on my Warp Speed USB cable to finally work between tracks.

Also if on home demo, I would have sent it back pronto. It isn't working properly. If you think it important try another brand, but the cable you have is not a good USB cable from the description of things.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality.