IGNORED

Converting AIFF files to WAVE does it improve sound

Vangelis

Entire library of 2000 CDs were ripped in a AIFF. See a trend that many people find wave files sound better. Those who have stored original libraries in FLAC may have the benefit of a better conversion to AIFF then I have. Can I convert my AIFF files to WAVE with similar improvements that FLAC to a AIFF can offer?

TP-LInk 1200 WiFi router>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Synergistic Research Switch>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Innuos Pulsar> Sablon EVO USB cable>Innuos Phoenix>Sablon EVO USB cable>T+A DAC 2000 >Enleum AMP-23r>Audience SX speaker cables>Raidho X1t or HiFiMan HE-1000se headphones. Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite powers cords>Puritan Audio 156 pwr conditioner.

Entire library of 2000 CDs were ripped in a AIFF. See a trend that many people find wave files sound better. Those who have stored original libraries in FLAC may have the benefit of a better conversion to AIFF then I have. Can I convert my AIFF files to WAVE with similar improvements that FLAC to a AIFF can offer?

As stated, AIFF to WAV is identical data in a different container. Extremely unlikely to hear a difference, and certainly not worth the effort to convert all those files.

FLAC to AIFF is transcoding a compressed lossless file to an uncompressed lossless file. Theoretically, the computer has to do more work to uncompress the FLAC on the fly during playback. This is the basis for the argument, but again, academic and moot with modern computers.

I like this album:

L'Apocalypse Des Animaux.jpg

Is WAV and AIFF identical audio file formats.

WAV and AIFF based at one file structure.

WAV and AIFF difference in byte order in samples and number values into non-audio data blocks. These blocks also have other format than WAV.

Order bytes is legacy of used hardware platform.

For quality of sound AIFF, WAV, FLAC are absolutelly same, because contains identical audio data.

Theory what unpacking/repacking cause additional CPU load and hence noise while have no practical proofs.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

kellyanne_conway.jpg

Things like md5sums and bit-identical file

comparisons are ideological constructions of the lamestream media and the kultcheral eleet. Alternative facts are at play here, and every opinion is subjective and equally meritorious. So just follow your ears and our President's proclamations.

Try and listen,

if you think it sounds better, be happy and convert

Agree.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

try to embed different pictures into the same song file, the same song will always sound different.

Metadata and audio data are located in different places of audio file. They don't intersect.

Audio player read metadata (and display it) just open file for reading. Before playback.

After it audio player read audio data from file.

It can place it to computer memory in full size or portion-by-portion.

So reading metadata and playback audio are divided by time. Hence it is uncorelated processes.

As alternative, drawing of artwork may be performed as parallel process, but it consume milliseconds of processing time once and performed independently on reading playback buffer into DAC.

• 2 weeks later...

I have no idea if this is true or not, but I seen this post yesterday on the Jplay forums as I recently have been having some issues with my aiff ripped files converting properly using Jplaystreamer.  I believe the concept behind this is the server or player has to work harder to invert the data over for feeding the DAC, then can effect overall SQ.  

Actually WAV can only be better as AIFF was initially built for Motorola CPU so every sample has to be inverted for Intel CPU before sending it to DAC while WAV was built for Intel originally and such 'processing' (although trivial compared to e.g. decompressing from FLAC) is not needed as samples are in 'correct' order already. In practice you'll be hard pressed to hear a difference but perhaps this explanation gives you a bit of piece of mind :)

HD-PLEX LPS > SLK (Chinese) DC Power Cable > Mac Mini 2012 (Uptone MMK / SnakeOil OS) > LPS-1 > UpTone ISO Regen > USPCB > Chord Mojo > WireWorld Nano-Silver Eclipse > AudioEngine A2+

I believe you are referring to the byte-order of an AIFF/AIF file, which is denoted as big-endian. The alternative, inverted form of byte order is called little-endian. Some transcoding software can convert from one to the other, but modern audio playback hardware and software treats them interchangeably without issue. For more info, look up Audio Interchange File Format on Wikipedia.