IGNORED

Sotm sps-500

15 hours ago, austinpop said:

I am sorry, I didn't know about this when I said there is no aftermarket DC cord like that. 

Nevertheless, if somebody can use a soldering iron at a basic level, these cables can be made for about quarter of the price on this homepage. Ghent cables seem to be very nicely made, not easy to achieve this level at home.

HQplayer - NAA - Devialet D-800 - YG Acoustics Carmel + dual ELAC sub-2090

The tx-USBultra and sPS-500 combo were reviewed in 6moons.

Most CA readers, who are used to clear and concise reviews by true experts, which to the benefit of all of us includes not only Chris, but also many esteemed members here, will get mixed feelings after reading the said review, but I digress...

However, I did manage to unearth this bit of info out of it, provided by May Park no less, which I feel can contribute to this lovely thread about the sPS-500.

Here goes:

Mary Park: "Here are the key points of the sPS-500 which distinguish it from similar products to improve sound quality:
• Elimination of noise from the powered device by removing voltage noise elements from the powered device. This is not present in most power supplies even when including linear regulators. It improves sound quality by providing more stable power to the powered device.
• Fast transient control loop circuit. The sPS-500 uses a specially designed control circuit that compensates for the output voltage variations across the audible audio band. It very quickly stabilizes the output voltage during sudden changes in input power or output current.
• Ultra-low impedance power: All kinds of power devices use a semiconductor device for output power. The sPS-500 utilizes a device with an impedance that is lower than competing products and exhibits excellent performance in transient high output current change with our fast transient control loop circuit.
• AC power input stage noise reducer. AC power contributes a considerable amount of noise but the sPS-500 has a noise filter especially effective at the audio frequency band.
• Special selected components. We once again applied parts proven already in other SOtM products."

• 1 month later...
On 14/09/2017 at 11:06 PM, zoltan said:

Ghent cables seem to be very nicely made, not easy to achieve this level at home.

Over here in UK the cost of the Oyaide connectors is nearly the price of a completed cable so quite a bargain.

Just plugged the SPS500 into my Mytek Brooklyn and all the qualities listed here by posters came shining through and drove it with ease.

Seriously thinking about getting a Y cable to try it with the Brooklyn and SmS200 Ultra together although I might be pushing my luck.

Also considering dropping the voltage down on the Ultra to 7V and powering that with the LPS1, leaving the SPS500 to power the Dac/ headphone amp.

• 2 weeks later...

Using the sPS -500 with a Y cable should theoretically complicate the noise  reduction and fast transient loop circuits of the PS.

How would the unit measure and compensate for 2 devices at the same time? The noise of two end components would be different and the compensated DC supply can't adapt for both at the same time.

Same goes for the transient requirements, each attached component will supposedly request for transient power at different times but the sPS -500 will supply both components at the same time.

Anybody that knows what the ground connection does or are connected to in the sPS-500?

Perhaps @MayfromSOtM can shed some Light on that. My question is mostly regarding all the focus on grounding the negative output on a PSU. 

5a001de547356_73117sotm8(1).thumb.jpg.cd309c54fc0d10ee0f0ad93e2bb8153d.jpg

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
5 hours ago, flkin said:

Using the sPS -500 with a Y cable should theoretically complicate the noise  reduction and fast transient loop circuits of the PS.

How would the unit measure and compensate for 2 devices at the same time? The noise of two end components would be different and the compensated DC supply can't adapt for both at the same time.

Same goes for the transient requirements, each attached component will supposedly request for transient power at different times but the sPS -500 will supply both components at the same time.

You are of course correct in theory but my curiousity got the better of me and after a botched attempt at a y cable ( I bent 1 pin from the small Hirose connector) I wired up a crude connection via SOTM's cheapest single dc connector.

AND it works and sounds great, powering up both the DAC/ headphone amp and 200 Ultra without getting warm.

No doubt a proper Y cable will sound better and 2 seperate sps 500's even better, Which does explain why SOTM sell Y cables for this power supply.

I wrote and asked May about this. I think she said it works fine with the noise reduction still working properly. Not too sure of her English reply though..

I wonder how the noise reduction works? Can’t seem to find any explanations of the technologies involved and how it works. Only that it removes noise of attached components

5 hours ago, octaviars said:

Anybody that knows what the ground connection does or are connected to in the sPS-500?

Perhaps @MayfromSOtM can shed some Light on that. My question is mostly regarding all the focus on grounding the negative output on a PSU. 

Actually anyone with an sPS -500 can use a voltmeter to check the connection from the AC earth pin to the negative DC barrel. If it's connected then we don't have to worry about grounding the negative. 

Anyone wanna try and advice please?

1 hour ago, flkin said:

Actually anyone with an sPS -500 can use a voltmeter to check the connection from the AC earth pin to the negative DC barrel.

I have asked one on a Swedish forum that I know have a sPS-500 if he could do this.

Main system
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC

Second system
6 hours ago, flkin said:

Actually anyone with an sPS -500 can use a voltmeter to check the connection from the AC earth pin to the negative DC barrel. If it's connected then we don't have to worry about grounding the negative. 

Anyone wanna try and advice please?

Yes - the negative DC is connected to AC Earth.

1 hour ago, LTG2010 said:

Yes - the negative DC is connected to AC Earth.

Good to know that regarding all the talk recently about grounding the negative DC.

Main system

Second system
19 hours ago, octaviars said:

Hi octaviars, the ground connection is connected in the sPS-500~

Thank you!

Best regards, May

2 hours ago, MayfromSOtM said:

Hi octaviars, the ground connection is connected in the sPS-500~

Thank you!

Best regards, May

Yes I understand that my question was more if it is connected to the negative DC output? It seems to be that looking at the answer above.

Main system

Second system
18 hours ago, octaviars said:

Yes I understand that my question was more if it is connected to the negative DC output? It seems to be that looking at the answer above.

Yes, the  interneal ground is connected to the ac power earth and the nagative dc output is connected to the internal ground.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a couple of Hirose connectors to make DIY DC cords from the SPS-500 to the SMS-200 Ultra but I can't disassemble the Hirose to access the pins for soldering. Has anyone done it or can give me some advice how to do it? 

1 hour ago, zoltan said:

I bought a couple of Hirose connectors to make DIY DC cords from the SPS-500 to the SMS-200 Ultra but I can't disassemble the Hirose to access the pins for soldering. Has anyone done it or can give me some advice how to do it? 

You need to unscrew the tip from the main body, i used small tweezers to grip the tip. Also those tiny pins bend easily so dont apply too much heat, idealy a female socket use to hold the connector in place whilst soldering is ideal as this will stop the pins moving.

4 hours ago, LTG2010 said:

You need to unscrew the tip from the main body, i used small tweezers to grip the tip. Also those tiny pins bend easily so dont apply too much heat, idealy a female socket use to hold the connector in place whilst soldering is ideal as this will stop the pins moving.

Thanks, I managed to unscrew the tip now. You're right about the small pins. I think I'll order the female part before getting down to soldering. BTW, what cable did you use to DIY a DC cable? And does it sound better than with the stock SOtM supplied cable?

22 minutes ago, zoltan said:

BTW, what cable did you use to DIY a DC cable? And does it sound better than with the stock SOtM supplied cable?

I bent the connectors on my fist attempt. I used Canare 4S6, it does sound better more clarity, better bass,  and its cheap to boot. Any decent cable should improve on the stock one.

I've made two of these cables — one with Canare 4S6 and, more recently, a Y-cable using Neotech 18 gauge stranded silver wire which I twisted in a (pseudo) star-quad configuration. Sonic Craft has this wire on closeout

http://www.soniccraft.com/product_info.php/neotech-stranded-upocc-silver-in-teflon-18-awg-blue-p-1882

The Canare was much easier to work with since the teflon sleeving on the Neotech wire is quite stiff. The key thing to watch out for in soldering the Hirose plug is to avoid creating shorts. Use minimal amounts of solder to tin the solder cups in the plug, and only strip enough wire so that each wire's sleeving abuts its corresponding solder cup. This is a very small length! Tin each wire and then solder to the plug. If you are sufficiently careful, it should go well.

Good luck!

Thank you @ronfint for sharing your experience. My sps500 will arive next week with the standard dc cable and was planning to solder my own Y shaped cable using Neotech (which makes very good coax too). 

How does the Neotech sound compare to the Canare? And did you notice a sound degration using a Y cable compared to a single wire? And do you use silver soldering?

45 minutes ago, Lebouwsky said:

Thank you @ronfint for sharing your experience. My sps500 will arive next week with the standard dc cable and was planning to solder my own Y shaped cable using Neotech (which makes very good coax too). 

How does the Neotech sound compare to the Canare? And did you notice a sound degration using a Y cable compared to a single wire? And do you use silver soldering?

I'm sorry that I can't give good answers to your questions. I plugged in my new cable, it worked (happily), and everything I played sounded good; so I left it. I can't make any audiophile-type comments about it. Also, I don't yet have the tx-usb ultra that the Y-cable will also link to. I seriously doubt that there will be any 'sonic' degradation, but I'll never know.

In retrospect, one thing that I should have done making the cable is to strip the wires right to the point where they enter the plugs and replace that insulation with heat shrink. It would have made the wires much easier to work with.

(I didn't use silver solder. I always use Cardas solder since I find it the easiest to work with.)