IGNORED

Now What?

So, I am a long time Audiophile that likes computers. Recently I have been upping my game in the portable headphone arena. Lately I have been increasing the level of fidelity on my portable computer as well. I am pretty close to having one of the best audio experiences I have ever had personally on a computer. Below is what I have and what I have been thinking about next. My requirements are that it must be portable for when I leave for work as well as I don't want to camp out in a man cave or office and be away from my family. I would appreciate any recommendations.

MacBook Pro Quad 2.4 i7, 16GB Ram, 525 GB SATA SSD HD

I get download speeds of over 130 Mbps from my ISP.

I scoured 10 websites all over the internet and here looking for what they believe should be turned off to minimize system resources. Within reason it is minimized for audio performance.

I removed all files and media from my internal HD. The only things that are left are programs.

I put all of my media on networked external HD. I will be looking into caching files prior to playing them shortly. I know some people swear by high speed wired connections for the external drives.

I connect the computer to a Furman M5300-PM when I am home. I have researched power supplies. I contacted Mr. Paul Hyne who is the only one making supplies for MacBook Pros. He is around $1000. I am not willing to pay that much right now. I am not going after the house power.

I have a Chord Mojo DAC. My LAS is working on getting a Hugo 2 for audition.

I connect the DAC to the computer using a Curious USB cable with a AQ Jitterbug inline.

My headphones are JH Audio Roxanne. I have been looking at different aftermarket headphone cable companies.

I am using Amarra software for TIDAL and for audio files.

My files are ripped or downloaded at high resolution.

Whats left? Obviously there are upgrades and or different types of the components I already have, I will take those recommendations. What are some areas that I have not tackled that could benefit my audio experience?

Its pretty disappointing that with the compendium of info that is CA that I would not get one response in a whole day. As you can tell I am not new to this arena. I have done my research. This is not a newbie asking for advice, this is a veteran hoping that this forum would share information.

does it sound better on battery power?

there are other power supplies < $1k )at least for a mini) also

I'd say you may be at the point where you want to upgrade your listening scotch. If on a gateway scotch like Monkey Shoulder, try a single malt. If on single malts already try for older ones.

does it sound better on battery power?

there are other power supplies < $1k )at least for a mini) also

I'd say you may be at the point where you want to upgrade your listening scotch. If on a gateway scotch like Monkey Shoulder, try a single malt. If on single malts already try for older ones.

I like how you think sir. I'm an Irish whiskey drinker. Jameson Black is on these days. It's really smooth for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

So, I am a long time Audiophile that likes computers. Recently I have been upping my game in the portable headphone arena. Lately I have been increasing the level of fidelity on my portable computer as well. I am pretty close to having one of the best audio experiences I have ever had personally on a computer. Below is what I have and what I have been thinking about next. My requirements are that it must be portable for when I leave for work as well as I don't want to camp out in a man cave or office and be away from my family. I would appreciate any recommendations.

I scoured 10 websites all over the internet and here looking for what they believe should be turned off to minimize system resources. Within reason it is minimized for audio performance.

I removed all files and media from my internal HD. The only things that are left are programs.

I put all of my media on networked external HD. I will be looking into caching files prior to playing them shortly. I know some people swear by high speed wired connections for the external drives.

I connect the computer to a Furman M5300-PM when I am home. I have researched power supplies. I contacted Mr. Paul Hyne who is the only one making supplies for MacBook Pros. He is around $1000. I am not willing to pay that much right now. I am not going after the house power.

I connect the DAC to the computer using a Curious USB cable with a AQ Jitterbug inline.

My headphones are JH Audio Roxanne. I have been looking at different aftermarket headphone cable companies.

Whats left? Obviously there are upgrades and or different types of the components I already have, I will take those recommendations. What are some areas that I have not tackled that could benefit my audio experience?

Hi I have Mojo with my desktop setup. I would say you need galvanic isolation between the Mojo and your computer (with nothing else needed in between). This would be true for the Hugo 2 also because the Mojo and Hugo are the only Chord Dacs without galvanic isolation. Chord's Dac designer recommends galvanic isolation to bring out the best in the USB input. He likes the Olimex ISO USB but that's only 'full speed', so won't support 24/96 or higher unfortunately but it's fantastic value for CD quality. Plenty of information on the Head Fi website, from the Dac designer himself.

I'm also looking for high speed USB galvanic isolation to also add between my computer and Mojo - but will wait to see the what the new iFi and Uptone ISO Regen products offer first.

I have Sennheiser HD800S heapdhones. For now I'm following the Mojo designer's recommendation of using the Toslink input (no EMI, RFI, electrical noise to worry about and the Mojo's FPGA eliminates jitter) until I get USB galvanic isolation. I love the performance and would be happy to stay with what I have except for the 24/192 limitation of Toslink, so I can't play any DSD downloads without down-sampling and can't use Roon DSD up-sampling.

Paul Hynes makes some quality stuff but be prepared for a super super long wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi I have Mojo with my desktop setup. I would say you need galvanic isolation between the Mojo and your computer (with nothing else needed in between). This would be true for the Hugo 2 also because the Mojo and Hugo are the only Chord Dacs without galvanic isolation. Chord's Dac designer recommends galvanic isolation to bring out the best in the USB input. He likes the Olimex ISO USB but that's only 'full speed', so won't support 24/96 or higher unfortunately but it's fantastic value for CD quality. Plenty of information on the Head Fi website, from the Dac designer himself.

I'm also looking for high speed USB galvanic isolation to also add between my computer and Mojo - but will wait to see the what the new iFi and Uptone ISO Regen products offer first.

I have Sennheiser HD800S heapdhones. For now I'm following the Mojo designer's recommendation of using the Toslink input (no EMI, RFI, electrical noise to worry about and the Mojo's FPGA eliminates jitter) until I get USB galvanic isolation. I love the performance and would be happy to stay with what I have except for the 24/192 limitation of Toslink, so I can't play any DSD downloads without down-sampling and can't use Roon DSD up-sampling.

Ive been pretty quiet with my Curious and Paul Pang cables. I'll start looking into galvanic isolation.

I'm trying Toslink today. Thanks for the recommendation.

Paul Hynes makes some quality stuff but be prepared for a super super long wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He does sir. The quality and design are definitely bespoke. He also seems very knowledgeable in the EE discipline.

I just wish they weren't so pricey.

Ive been pretty quiet with my Curious and Paul Pang cables. I'll start looking into galvanic isolation.

I'm trying Toslink today. Thanks for the recommendation.

No problem, please feel free to report back after you've had a listen. I shouldn't have said "you need USB galvanic isolation". I should have said, maybe that's one of the last remaining things to consider/try :-)

Same holds true for myself too, with regards to the Mojo Dac and getting the best from it's USB input (blocking the computer noise and blocking overall system leakage currents - heaps of detailed threads on this forum scattered around). But the main reason for wanting to try USB galvanic isolation was reading the Dac designer's comments himself - there are lot's of noise reducing reducing products but the proper way seems to be galvanic isolation.

But as I mentioned, you may want to wait to hear from iFi and Uptone before committing to USB galvanic isolation.

No problem, please feel free to report back after you've had a listen. I shouldn't have said "you need USB galvanic isolation". I should have said, maybe that's one of the last remaining things to consider/try :-)

Same holds true for myself too, with regards to the Mojo Dac and getting the best from it's USB input (blocking the computer noise and blocking overall system leakage currents - heaps of detailed threads on this forum scattered around). But the main reason for wanting to try USB galvanic isolation was reading the Dac designer's comments himself - there are lot's of noise reducing reducing products but the proper way seems to be galvanic isolation.

But as I mentioned, you may want to wait to hear from iFi and Uptone before committing to USB galvanic isolation.

I read quite a bit on the galvanic isolation game. It seems like the chip technology game hasn't caught up to the DAC speeds we have now. For $30 Ill grab an Olimex but I think it might not be what I am looking for.

I read quite a bit on the galvanic isolation game. It seems like the chip technology game hasn't caught up to the DAC speeds we have now. For $30 Ill grab an Olimex but I think it might not be what I am looking for.

As mentioned earlier, the iFi is called the iGalvanic 3.0 (I think) and I think will support USB 3.0 speeds. The Uptone hasn't been released, so may off that too. But so far, you're right, there are no USB 3.0 USB galvanic isolation devices for purchase (I think).

But I think the high speed USB galvanic isolation devices do support what we need.

This is regarding the Intona: "Will the Intona USB Isolator Pass DSD Data? Is it Bit Perfect? Will it Pass all Higher Resolution PCM? The Isolator can reach full USB bandwidth of 480MBit/s and it will pass DSD data in a bit perfect manner without changes. This is also true for any other data format and of course for PCM audio. We have successfully transmitted 32 channels at 192kHz in both directions without failure."

The Olimex is great value (and even liked by the Mojo's designer as mentioned) and will block the computer noise and system leakage currents, but you'll need to down-sample 24/96 or higher, since it's full speed, not high speed like the Intona. Check out my other thread here for other high speed devices:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/high-speed-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-galvanic-isolation-devices-31870/

Personally I would wait for the iFi and Uptone devices. They will most like include USB signal regeneration, the same way their USB conditioning devices work, and of course USB galvanic isolation.

As mentioned earlier, the iFi is called the iGalvanic 3.0 (I think) and I think will support USB 3.0 speeds. The Uptone hasn't been released, so may off that too. But so far, you're right, there are no USB 3.0 USB galvanic isolation devices for purchase (I think).

But I think the high speed USB galvanic isolation devices do support what we need.

This is regarding the Intona: "Will the Intona USB Isolator Pass DSD Data? Is it Bit Perfect? Will it Pass all Higher Resolution PCM? The Isolator can reach full USB bandwidth of 480MBit/s and it will pass DSD data in a bit perfect manner without changes. This is also true for any other data format and of course for PCM audio. We have successfully transmitted 32 channels at 192kHz in both directions without failure."

The Olimex is great value (and even liked by the Mojo's designer as mentioned) and will block the computer noise and system leakage currents, but you'll need to down-sample 24/96 or higher, since it's full speed, not high speed like the Intona. Check out my other thread here for other high speed devices:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/high-speed-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-galvanic-isolation-devices-31870/

Personally I would wait for the iFi and Uptone devices. They will most like include USB signal regeneration, the same way their USB conditioning devices work, and of course USB galvanic isolation.

Ok you twisted my arm. I'll go after the USB isolation when Uptone and Ifi release thier offerings.

Ok you twisted my arm. I'll go after the USB isolation when Uptone and Ifi release thier offerings.

Haha thanks. While my advise is to wait (it's the smart thing to do) I've been itching to get SOMETHING. You waiting has made me a little more patient to wait too.

I would look at Audirvana Plus and set it to Optimize when playing. (Free Trial). I like the sound out of it a lot with my Mojo. Keep the DAC on one side of the Mac and the Drive on the other so that you are on separate USBC busses. Did you get a thunderbolt drive? (I did not see that in the threads, but I might have missed it..)

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

IME, a "2nd computer/NAA setup" improves sound: Sonic Orbiter, microRendu, SMS-200

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I would look at Audirvana Plus and set it to Optimize when playing. (Free Trial). I like the sound out of it a lot with my Mojo. Keep the DAC on one side of the Mac and the Drive on the other so that you are on separate USBC busses. Did you get a thunderbolt drive? (I did not see that in the threads, but I might have missed it..)

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

It's funny you say Audirvana+. I downloaded it a few days ago after I saw it is an all in one service with Tidal and audio files. I like it MUCH better!

As for my drive it is a WD My Book Live connected to my router.