IGNORED

Any new version expected of Dirac for Windows?

Sound&Vision has just published in the Perfect Focus section an interview with Mathias Johansson (Dirac Research, CEO) where, among other things, he informs about the following:

S&V: Are any new home audio/theater-related products or technical refinements on the horizon?

MJ: We are currently working on a number of improvements for Dirac Live. In fact, there will be a completely new Dirac Live calibration software coming out in a few months. Even more exciting, 2017 will be the year that we finally showcase a Dirac Unison calibration tool for hi-fi use. Our challenge and our goal with this project has been to retain the performance benefits of Dirac Unison while simultaneously creating an intuitive, not-too-technical calibration tool.

:) Flavio

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

Sound&Vision has just published in the Perfect Focus section an interview with Mathias Johansson (Dirac Research, CEO) where, among other things, he informs about the following:

S&V: Are any new home audio/theater-related products or technical refinements on the horizon?

MJ: We are currently working on a number of improvements for Dirac Live. In fact, there will be a completely new Dirac Live calibration software coming out in a few months. Even more exciting, 2017 will be the year that we finally showcase a Dirac Unison calibration tool for hi-fi use. Our challenge and our goal with this project has been to retain the performance benefits of Dirac Unison while simultaneously creating an intuitive, not-too-technical calibration tool.

Thanks, Flavio

Then these are good news!

Can I get an updated beta? :)

Is there now support for 88.2 & 176.4 KHz rates?

Michael

Dirac for Windows does not support these rates

That's funny. I have been doing 88k or 176k USB through Dirac for about 4 years with JRiver/Windows 7. I do not remember exactly when PC-based Dirac upgraded to 176/192k from the former 96k max. It has been at least a couple of years, and even prior to that it did support 88k with the max of 96k.

Whether 88 and 176k work or not is positively confirmed in the display associated with my Exasound DAC and also in its Windows driver. A friend also does those sampling rates using PC/Windows Dirac into his AV prepro via HDMI.

Are you sure you do not have a different problem? For example, NVidia GPUs absolutely for a long time did not support those sample rates for HDMI, but I am not sure if that is still true. My friend switched to a Radeon GPU in order to make 88/176k work over HDMI several years ago after I discovered the limitation. We both have large libraries of DSD/DSF rips, for which 88/176k are the preferred PCM sampling rates to convert to.

Will there be Unison in the new Dirac Live for Windows? Or is it two different products you are mentioning?

How Unison will relate to Live is currently unclear, as is when it will be available...

the design aims, methods and algorithms for Unison are clear: http://diracdocs.com/ISEAT15_Brannmark_Sternad.pdf

and it's clear that when properly setup the results are excellent (as demoed in two CES presentations) but, as Mathias outlined, retaining "the performance benefits of Dirac Unison while simultaneously creating an intuitive, not-too-technical calibration tool" is not a trivial task.

Also, as correcly stated by michael123, the DL beta that I gave him does not support 88k or 176k... this may change in the final release though.

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

How Unison will relate to Live is currently unclear, as is when it will be available...

the design aims, methods and algorithms for Unison are clear: http://diracdocs.com/ISEAT15_Brannmark_Sternad.pdf

and it's clear that when properly setup the results are excellent (as demoed in two CES presentations) but, as Mathias outlined, retaining "the performance benefits of Dirac Unison while simultaneously creating an intuitive, not-too-technical calibration tool" is not a trivial task.

Also, as correcly stated by michael123, the DL beta that I gave him does not support 88k or 176k... this may change in the final release though.

I hope so. Having support for all useful sample rates resolves any potential disputes over optimum processing.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

I am using a more advanced version that I got from Flavio, which fixed few other nasty bugs, and it does not support these rates, anyway that's an official response I got.

So, it is agreed, I hope and assume. I guess and contrary to your earlier post, that Dirac Live under Windows currently supports sample rates as advertised, including 44, 48, 88, 96 , 176 and 192k. Other versions, including various Beta versions, might not support all these sampling rates, so best to check with Dirac on those unusual circumstances. That last clause applies to you, but not to most other users of Dirac.

Yes,

Although it might be yet important to other users to realize after upgrade that these rates are unsupported

I think that there are very few users of "beta" or not generally released "upgrade" versions are out there. Can you say what that "upgrade" is and what is does?

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

I don't know myself what will be in the upgrade as you see Dirac do not release much information.

But for sure it will be based on the beta I have, so if I have no support for 88/176 rates, so there is high chance the next version won't have it as well.

Well, if one is in the software business with a sizeable user base, one is well advised to NOT shut down or take away supported features when upgrading software releases. It could create a support nightmare as the software stops working for people.

Incidentally, I am also on a Beta version of Dirac, apparently a different one than yours. Mine supports the VST plugin. Mine fully supports 88/176.

This is is a long winded way of saying that I do not agree with your logic. I think Dirac will continue support of 88/176. But, I could be wrong. Time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...

How is this VST via Jriver implemented? I would really like to get Dirac to my microrendu. It seems as if Jriver would be the only tool to do this. Please tell me more of this VST plugin you speak of and how one gets involved.

EtherRegen powered by Sonore UltraCap LPS1.2 -> Optical Cable ->OpticalRendu powered by SGC 50w LPS -> Ghent silver plated ->star quad USB (JSSG360)->Denafrips Hermes DDC -> i2S HDMI (Clocked by Terminator Dac via BNC)->Denafrips Terminator II Dac->Linear Tube Audio Preamplifier->Melody 845M Monoblocks -> Silversmith Fidelium Speaker Cables->Pure Audio Project Trio15 Coaxial Open Baffle Speakers->2X SVS 4000 Subwoofers->All connected to PSAudio P10 Power Plant

10 hours ago, sandston said:

How is this VST via Jriver implemented? I would really like to get Dirac to my microrendu. It seems as if Jriver would be the only tool to do this. Please tell me more of this VST plugin you speak of and how one gets involved.

You have to contact Dirac Support and request it.