IGNORED

DACs: Down to Four Choices

In my search for an under/around $500 DAC, I have narrowed it down to four choices:

Emotiva Stealth DC-1

Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100

TEAC UD-301

IFI Micro IDAC2

I don't care about a headphone jack as I pretty well don't use it; I need a DAC to go with my studio monitors, so I need a DAC with volume control. Not sure about remote (it depends where I use the DAC).

Anyone like to make recommendations that would help me decide?

[h=2][/h]

In my search for an under/around $500 DAC, I have narrowed it down to four choices:

Emotiva Stealth DC-1

Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100

TEAC UD-301

IFI Micro IDAC2

I don't care about a headphone jack as I pretty well don't use it; I need a DAC to go with my studio monitors, so I need a DAC with volume control. Not sure about remote (it depends where I use the DAC).

Anyone like to make recommendations that would help me decide?

why are you duplicating threads? http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/digital-analogue-converter-recommendation-31850/

edit: same person creating two threads on same subject.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

If you are going to feed powered monitors I would stick with DACs that have XLR balanced outputs. The best way to feed your monitors an input signal. So that would be the TEAC and the Emotiva DC1.

I have used the DC1 and know it is a very good quality DAC. Haven't used the TEAC, but don't doubt it is fine. Both of these have some good high quality opamps to feed the signal out to your monitor speakers. The Teac does DSD 64 and 128 while the Emotiva does not. Don't know if DSD is important to you.

So I would choose between those two if it were me. I also know you can call Emotiva and get good response from the folks who actually make these should you ever have trouble of any kind. Not something you can do with TEAC. Still I wouldn't be afraid of either.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Amazon has one right now for $419.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33762[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33763[/ATTACH]

Didn't realize the DAC Magic Plus had XLR out so I would consider that one too.

So maybe we have narrowed down your choice of four to one of three. :)

I don't think any of these are bad choices.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

why are you duplicating threads? http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/digital-analogue-converter-recommendation-31850/

edit: same person creating two threads on same subject.

Well, it seems to me that a question about all the DACs within a certain price range is a different question to a question about four specific, named DACs. Could be wrong though. Certainly each thread elicited different responses...

If you are going to feed powered monitors I would stick with DACs that have XLR balanced outputs. The best way to feed your monitors an input signal. So that would be the TEAC and the Emotiva DC1.

Thanks for the reply. I would be very interested to know why that is, if you don't mind explaining. I should say that I am using a preamp with the powered monitors right now. Not sure if that makes a difference. I do understand that unbalanced outputs could be prone to interference, but I have to say I don't seem to have that problem.

Well, it seems to me that a question about all the DACs within a certain price range is a different question to a question about four specific, named DACs. Could be wrong though. Certainly each thread elicited different responses...

That's because you didn't list your specifications on this thread. My 2Cents, get the DAC that has the least features necessary to fulfill your needs, thus the price should be the cheapest. You didn't specify power needs and this is the one feature that in my mind could be the most important feature. My recommendation on the DAC from your needs.

Ifi Nano iDSD LE for $129 total shipped. Gives you options to upgrade power and USB stream outside the DAC.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Not many good choices right now under $500. I'd go with Soekris DAC1101 while you can, $650 but currently offered at $390. Ships from California.

dac1101 - USB Powered DAC/Headamp

I like my Soekris a lot when I am not upsampling to DSD. If the budget is $500, I'd also have to consider the iFi iDSD black label seeing as the nano iDSD was so darn good for the money doing conversion to DSD.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

I like my Soekris a lot when I am not upsampling to DSD. If the budget is $500, I'd also have to consider the iFi iDSD black label seeing as the nano iDSD was so darn good for the money doing conversion to DSD.

I've heard the Black Label (with DSD upsampling done by HQPlayer) and it's excellent. Have owned the predecessor silver model for some time, listening with DSD upsampling by A+ and HQPlayer, and like it a lot, though the Black Label sounded better to me.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Thanks for the reply. I would be very interested to know why that is, if you don't mind explaining. I should say that I am using a preamp with the powered monitors right now. Not sure if that makes a difference. I do understand that unbalanced outputs could be prone to interference, but I have to say I don't seem to have that problem.

It is true most of the time with short cable lengths noise pickup is not an issue with unbalanced cable.

Sometimes you get more output volume with balanced than unbalanced though whether that is a problem is a case by case basis.

Simply the noise becomes a complete non-issue if you go with something balanced. Even if you later had crazy long cable runs like 50 ft it will remain dead quiet. Most studio monitors have TRS and XLR inputs. Some have others too though I don't know which monitors you have. Just makes sense to use the XLR in with a DAC having XLR out. You also get excellent sound quality with balanced connections even with inexpensive cable. So why not go with the superior connection when it is available without any great expense involved. Doubly so if you are running in and around a computer as the balanced connections will reject any RF junk being put out by that equipment.

That's because you didn't list your specifications on this thread. My 2Cents, get the DAC that has the least features necessary to fulfill your needs, thus the price should be the cheapest. You didn't specify power needs and this is the one feature that in my mind could be the most important feature. My recommendation on the DAC from your needs.

Ifi Nano iDSD LE for $129 total shipped. Gives you options to upgrade power and USB stream outside the DAC.

Yes, thanks, I appreciate your point. In comparing the Emotive Stealth DC-1 with the iFi nano or micro, I can see that the first has so many bells and whistles, such as remote and preamp (!). I can't see how the DAC quality can be as good if the device has all that extra stuff. I could be wrong here pf course. I do lean toward the iFi iDAC2 at this point....

Yes, thanks, I appreciate your point. In comparing the Emotive Stealth DC-1 with the iFi nano or micro, I can see that the first has so many bells and whistles, such as remote and preamp (!). I can't see how the DAC quality can be as good if the device has all that extra stuff. I could be wrong here pf course. I do lean toward the iFi iDAC2 at this point....

You may have missed it with the two threads you started here about this and the one over at Hoffman, but the iDAC2's volume knob only works on the headphone jack.

The Emotiva and TEAC use dedicated DAC chips for each channel (Dual monoaural) which is the absolute best way to do this. It looks like iFi uses just one chip in stereo mode. Advantage Emotiva and TEAC

Balanced outputs typically have about 2.7 dB better noise performance. Advantage Emotiva and TEAC

Emotiva uses a dual analog ladder volume control. Absolutely the best way to handle this. Or you can run fixed output.

Emotiva uses relay coupled outputs vs capacitor coupled. Relays are the better way to do this. iFi is capacitor coupled.

iFi is bus powered. Emotiva is not nor is the TEAC.

Emotiva has the best head phone implementation out of the lot. TEAC would be second up.

IMO the Emotiva or TEAC are going to be better DACs.

You can throw $1100 of cables and power supplies at a $129 DAC but you aren't changing the fact that the outputs are single ended, capacitor coupled, and a single chip is used in stereo mode. Those are the weakest links and all the money won't buy you out of those shortcomings.

Hit google.com/images and search each of the DACs you are looking at. You should find some tops off images that will also let you see the build quality with the Emotiva seems to also come out tops.

I wish the TEAC had a remote. It does so many other things well.

The Emotiva and TEAC use dedicated DAC chips for each channel (Dual monoaural) which is the absolute best way to do this. It looks like iFi uses just one chip in stereo mode. Advantage Emotiva and TEAC

Balanced outputs typically have about 2.7 dB better noise performance. Advantage Emotiva and TEAC

Emotiva uses a dual analog ladder volume control. Absolutely the best way to handle this. Or you can run fixed output.

Emotiva uses relay coupled outputs vs capacitor coupled. Relays are the better way to do this. iFi is capacitor coupled.

Emotiva has the best head phone implementation out of the lot. TEAC would be second up.

You can throw $1100 of cables and power supplies at a $129 DAC but you aren't changing the fact that the outputs are single ended, capacitor coupled, and a single chip is used in stereo mode. Those are the weakest links and all the money won't buy you out of those shortcomings.

Hit google.com/images and search each of the DACs you are looking at. You should find some tops off images that will also let you see the build quality with the Emotiva seems to also come out tops.

Now that's the sort of serious comparison I was looking for....thank you for that!

I assume I can get rid of my Adcom GTP-450 preamp and connect the Emotiva directly to my powered monitors via RCA? (Just using the preamp right now as volume control).

Now that's the sort of serious comparison I was looking for....thank you for that!

I assume I can get rid of my Adcom GTP-450 preamp and connect the Emotiva directly to my powered monitors via RCA? (Just using the preamp right now as volume control).

You could. What are all your sources?

The fact is that the op isn't looking for balanced outputs. None of these dacs have galvanic isolation, so when streamed from a PC via USB they are going to sound poor. Dual Dac chips are far from proven to be of any better performance. Power supply is a much bigger factor than you make it out to be. I would rather power an ifi with a clean USB power galvanically isolated, than the power supplies given for those two other dacs.

Any way you cut it, your going to need to clean the power and usb stream to get a great performance, especially at this level of DAC for USB. Personally I would rather spend less on a DAC that fulfills my needs and more on galvanic isolation. With the thought that eventually I would upgrade to another DAC (which you will do) and reuse any galvanic isolating components, especially power supplies.

But that's me, the bells and whistle feature talk don't impress me, especially on low end dac components such as these.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)