IGNORED

Newbie Speaker Recommendation?

Hello everyone,

I'm new here, stumbled upon the forum while researching some powered desktop computer speakers in the $400-$600 (US Dollars). Nothing fancy here, no DAC, just running them out of my PC's 3.5 mm output. After a bit of research I've kind of narrowed it down to the Adam F5 which look to be very good but what about the Paradigm Shift A2? I don't see much written about them. How bout the Vanatoo t1's? Anyone have any experience with these? Am I overlooking one? I wish I had someplace around to audition them all, but I'm stuck with mail order.

Thanks in advance for any advice..

Steve

Hello everyone,

I'm new here, stumbled upon the forum while researching some powered desktop computer speakers in the $400-$600 (US Dollars). Nothing fancy here, no DAC, just running them out of my PC's 3.5 mm output. After a bit of research I've kind of narrowed it down to the Adam F5 which look to be very good but what about the Paradigm Shift A2? I don't see much written about them. How bout the Vanatoo t1's? Anyone have any experience with these? Am I overlooking one? I wish I had someplace around to audition them all, but I'm stuck with mail order.

Thanks in advance for any advice..

Steve

i think you definitely need to use a dac -- the 3.5 mm audio out on pcs stinks.

do this:

* get a schiit modi multibit ($250)

* get a pair of jbl lsr305s ($300)

you'll take your system to a level way above where you would just with the speakers.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

Ahhh, you know, I've been looking at the jbl,s too. I may have to look a bit closer, LOL. Wow, The Adam F7's sound really good:

Thanks for the reply.

Steve

i think you definitely need to use a dac -- the 3.5 mm audio out on pcs stinks.

do this:

* get a schiit modi multibit ($250)

* get a pair of jbl lsr305s ($300)

you'll take your system to a level way above where you would just with the speakers.

I would second the suggestion of JBL LSR 305s. They are really crazy good for the money.

The SonicSense people have youtube videos of them as well. I was surprised that the basic frequency balance does come through on videos the way they record them. Not as great as hearing them live, but the basic balance is there.

Don't know which part of the world you are in, but Guitar Centers usually have the JBLs so you could hear them for yourself. Some also have the Adams though some don't.

And yes, JCN3 gave good advice as any pretty good DAC will beat feeding straight out of the headphone jack on your computer.

Now I haven't heard the Vanatoo T1s though some people here speak well of them. They have the advantage you could feed them from the USB on your computer as they have the DAC built in. They also are probably a very good choice for your needs.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

M-Audio also makes some nice PC speakers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Not saying it isn't so. But I had MAudio before getting LSR305s. Firstly my Maudio got the dreaded hum problem from capacitors going bad. Then once I got the 305s, well the Maudio is simply not even competitive. If you haven't heard the 305s, I would suggest you listen. You might want some. Until the hum problem I was relatively okay with the maudio. I wouldn't be any longer. And the Maudio costs more.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Hello everyone and thanks for all the advice. I'm going to try to see if anyplace around has the LSR305's so I can take a listen. Everything I've read and heard on youtube indicates that they are likely going to be too mid-centric for my tastes. My ideal sound signature is my Beyerdynamic DT-990 headphones...I'm not looking for studio monitor sound, per say, but something that sounds like my beloved 990's - sparkling highs and nice deep lows...

As far as the DAC, I'm running a software defined radio that is using my pc's soundcard so I don't know if it will play nicely with a DAC which is why I'm looking to use the 3.5mm headphone out jack. I actually do have an old IMAC but I don't use it much because it's old and slow. I definitely want to pick up a new mac at some point, it's just not in the budget at the moment.

Thanks again.

Steve

Hi Jihan,

Thanks for the reply, I'm looking for powered/active speakers due to space limitations. Thanks again.

Steve

Try any of these. All of these are within your budget

SVS Prime Tower Speaker Black Ash

Fluance XL7F High Performance Three-way Floorstanding Loudspeakers

Polk Audio RTI A7 Floorstanding Speaker

Would you consider adding a subwoofer? There is something of an online consensus that the Adam monitors have less deep bass than comparable size speakers from other companies, and therefore have a stronger need for a sub. I have the A5X, and I think they're very good, but without a sub I would not find them acceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

All studio monitors are designed to give neutral sound. I have the Adam A7X and they're great speakers. More than enough bass and their midrange and highs are great.

I'm not sure you'll find a monitor that would compare to your headphones as they're completely different beasts.

Ribbon tweeters which the Adams have will get you great hf response. A7X goes up to 40khz which means flat response at 20khz with no rolloff.

I'd suggest the JBLs as mentioned above. Solid speakers.

Also have a look at Gearsluts.com. Lots of studio monitor discussions. Just use the search feature.

Guys I found out about Fritz speakers last week and just ordered a pair, the Carbon VII SE which are bookshelves for $2500. What's special about them and all Fritz speakers is that they have incredibly easy/flat impedance and phase curves throughout most of the frequency range. In excited to see what my 845 SET can do with them.

I also have a pair of Zu Omen MK.II that I got for $1200 new as B-stock (minor cosmetic defect). I'm still putting them through their paces and look forward to comparing them with the Carbons.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Computer Audiophile mobile app