IGNORED

SOTm SMS 200 and MPDs Power Supply

I bought this networked set up this week. Set it up with HQ Player. I'm in the uk and purchased from Mark at Item Audio, who really helped set it up well and get the best the best out of it.

coming from USB via MacBook, it's really clear to see how much networked audio moves the game on. I don't why I bothered spending so much time on setting up the computer as a transport and all the tweaks and endless playing around.

Removing noise in the transport and correct file delivery really are critical. I'm amazed that the SMS 200 has delivered such an improvement. Can't recommend enough. It's transformed my system.

Cary audio slp 05, audionet max, bel canto dac 2.5, tannoy kingdom royals, nordost mains and interconnects.

The sms200 truly is an amazing product and it keeps surprising me. For me it stands for endless listening without fatigue but lots of details.

I use it in UPnP/ DLNA mode, streaming from a NAS. I want to make a next move by adding a server running Roon/ hqplayer with the sms200 in direct connection (bridge).

My I ask what your server looks like and how you control it? Looking for some recommandations.

The sms200 truly is an amazing product and it keeps surprising me.

+1

I like it better than microRendu. Do yourself a favour and invest in the UpTone Audio LPS-1 PSU - it will blow your socks off !

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

I believe the main advantage of the UpTone Audio LPS-1 PSU is galvanic isolation from the mains - this is something none of the regular PSUs offer.

SOtM mBPS-d2s, which is a battery PSU does offer galvanic isolation, but no voltage regulation (read: it is slower and has higher noise). In my system, both microRendu and sMS-200 sounded better powered by LPS-1 than SOtM mBPS-d2s battery PSU or any of the linear PSUs I have tried (Teddy Pardo, UpTone JP-2, ifi Power).

The LPS-1 is the real deal.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

I believe you and you've almost got me convinced. One of the problems of the lps-1 unfortunately is that there's no dealer in Europe. Importing the Regen costed me a little fortune (relative to the sales price). It makes the lps-1 the expensive for me.

Actually there are 2 dealers in Europe who are stocking the UltraCap LPS-1 every month:

VortexBox UK and Item Audio.

:)

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

I believe the main advantage of the UpTone Audio LPS-1 PSU is galvanic isolation from the mains - this is something none of the regular PSUs offer.

SOtM mBPS-d2s, which is a battery PSU does offer galvanic isolation, but no voltage regulation (read: it is slower and has higher noise). In my system, both microRendu and sMS-200 sounded better powered by LPS-1 than SOtM mBPS-d2s battery PSU or any of the linear PSUs I have tried (Teddy Pardo, UpTone JP-2, ifi Power).

The LPS-1 is the real deal.

Did you ever try the Sbooster? I'm still trying to understand the differences between the LPS-1 and the Sbooster Eco.

The sms200 truly is an amazing product and it keeps surprising me. For me it stands for endless listening without fatigue but lots of details.

I use it in UPnP/ DLNA mode, streaming from a NAS. I want to make a next move by adding a server running Roon/ hqplayer with the sms200 in direct connection (bridge).

My I ask what your server looks like and how you control it? Looking for some recommandations.

iMac and roon/hq player, works great

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the newbe question but I would be grateful if someone could explain how i would set up the SOtM sMS-200 in my system to play my music. What software would i be using to play my music, what hardware will run it?

At things stand i am connecting my NAS drive to my media PC with an ethernet cable to play music an video using Jriver. I use the PC's USB to connect to my TAD DAC. and the HDMI out to connect to my receiver for 5.1 playback. I was looking at upgrading my USB to a SOtM tX-USBexp with the sCLK EX plus a linear PS but reading your thread i realised that this might be an outdate way of doing it.

I'd be grateful if you could introduce me to this brave new world that i am unfamiliar with

Custom built silent Media PC, Synology DS415+ NAS -> SoTM sms200Ultra/sps500  -> TAD DA1000 DAC/preamp and Bryston 4BSST2 power amp -> Harbeth SHL5 speakers and Velodyne DD10+ subwoofers. PowerQuest Carbon USB cable, Chord Company Chorus interconnects, Chord Company Signature speaker leads, Clearer Audio Silver-Line power leads

3 hours ago, debt_collector said:

Sorry for the newbe question but I would be grateful if someone could explain how i would set up the SOtM sMS-200 in my system to play my music. What software would i be using to play my music, what hardware will run it?

At things stand i am connecting my NAS drive to my media PC with an ethernet cable to play music an video using Jriver. I use the PC's USB to connect to my TAD DAC. and the HDMI out to connect to my receiver for 5.1 playback. I was looking at upgrading my USB to a SOtM tX-USBexp with the sCLK EX plus a linear PS but reading your thread i realised that this might be an outdate way of doing it.

I'd be grateful if you could introduce me to this brave new world that i am unfamiliar with

the sms-200 is a renderer that's connected to your network with only a usb output (dac is connected to the sms-200 via usb).  it's limited to two channel audio and doesn't do video -- it was designed for music systems.  so if you're just looking for it to do audio, it will provide a step up in audio quality.

to make it work, you need to get everything on the network.  from there, the most simple approach is to install minimserver and bubbleupnp server on the nas.  using linn kazoo or lumin on a tablet or phone, you can send music to the sms-200. simple, low overhead, and you'll get great sound. completely removes the pc from the audio setup.

there are lots of other possible configurations, but not clear on what your requirements are regarding 5.1 . . .

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
10 hours ago, jcn3 said:

there are lots of other possible configurations, but not clear on what your requirements are regarding 5.1 . . .

Thanks jcn3! The sms200 setup sounds pretty neat. What would be the optimal setup in your opinion?

I'll read through the forum but where does one go for an overview of the different setups? Any websites that you can recommend? I live in London UK, can anyone recommend a dealer that has a good range of options?

The sPS500 was mentioned above as worth waiting for. I followed the link but information about it on the SoTM website was pretty scetchy. What is it about it that is worth waiting for?

The 5.1 playback can be managed separately by the pc HDMI -> home cinema receiver.

Custom built silent Media PC, Synology DS415+ NAS -> SoTM sms200Ultra/sps500  -> TAD DA1000 DAC/preamp and Bryston 4BSST2 power amp -> Harbeth SHL5 speakers and Velodyne DD10+ subwoofers. PowerQuest Carbon USB cable, Chord Company Chorus interconnects, Chord Company Signature speaker leads, Clearer Audio Silver-Line power leads

6 hours ago, debt_collector said:

Thanks jcn3! The sms200 setup sounds pretty neat. What would be the optimal setup in your opinion?

I'll read through the forum but where does one go for an overview of the different setups? Any websites that you can recommend? I live in London UK, can anyone recommend a dealer that has a good range of options?

The sPS500 was mentioned above as worth waiting for. I followed the link but information about it on the SoTM website was pretty scetchy. What is it about it that is worth waiting for?

The 5.1 playback can be managed separately by the pc HDMI -> home cinema receiver.

i'd go with the setup i described above:

* put minimserver and bubbleupnp server on your nas

* on the sms-200, configure it for dlna/mpd mode

* in minimserver, configure it to point to your music library

* in bubbleupnp server, enable the sms-200 as an open-home render

* download linn kazoo, lumin, or the bubbleupnp app and play music!

if you want to use hqplayer or roon, then that's a whole other issue/configuration.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
2 hours ago, jcn3 said:

i'd go with the setup i described above:

* put minimserver and bubbleupnp server on your nas

* on the sms-200, configure it for dlna/mpd mode

* in minimserver, configure it to point to your music library

* in bubbleupnp server, enable the sms-200 as an open-home render

* download linn kazoo, lumin, or the bubbleupnp app and play music!

if you want to use hqplayer or roon, then that's a whole other issue/configuration.

I'm thinking of waiting for the sms200ultra for its high performance clock and hock it to an lps-1. Would you say that makes sense?

I would like to use the best sounding player eventually. Would roon or hqplayer offer better SQ in your experience?

1 hour ago, debt_collector said:

I'm thinking of waiting for the sms200ultra for its high performance clock and hock it to an lps-1. Would you say that makes sense?

I would like to use the best sounding player eventually. Would roon or hqplayer offer better SQ in your experience?

i'll have to defer to others on your questions -- i'm not the right person to answer.  hqplayer people will say that upsampling to dsd256 or dsd512 with hqplayer provides the best sound (assuming you've got a pc with enough horsepower and a dac that can handle that level of dsd).  hqplayer doesn't have a user friendly interface, so many use roon to serve that purpose.  don't think you'll find many that say roon sounds better than other players like jriver or foobar2000.

i can say that the lps-1 certainly is a nice piece.

4 hours ago, debt_collector said:

The 200 Ultra plus LPS-1 would be a great move.

I prefer Roon over DLNA for the awesome user experience.  Some prefer integrating Roon with HQP as it can deliver better SQ.  It did for my former DAC but not my current one.  Once you get the 200 Ultra you should try HQP as it has a free trial mode.  Let your ears decide.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

On 3/6/2017 at 10:53 PM, Jean Plum said:

Or, wait for this:

sPS-500 – SOtM – English

Apologies for the newbe question, what does the sPS-500 do?

It's the upgraded model of the sotm SMS 200. They both do the same thing, but the 500 is supposedly better. It's a lot more money. I'd recommend using either with roon, it's the best player. Get the power supply on the one you go for and you will be happy mate. I'm running my SMS 200 through a TAD C600 pre amp and Tannoy kingdom royals and it sounds great.You won't be disappointed.

8 hours ago, realsoftmonkey said:

It's the upgraded model of the sotm SMS 200. They both do the same thing, but the 500 is supposedly better. It's a lot more money. I'd recommend using either with roon, it's the best player. Get the power supply on the one you go for and you will be happy mate. I'm running my SMS 200 through a TAD C600 pre amp and Tannoy kingdom royals and it sounds great.You won't be disappointed.

Thanks for the info. There's also an improved sms200 is the shape of the sms200ultra. As far as I can gather the ultra has improved clocking circuitry, is that right? Both the sms500 and the sma200ultra aren't available yet, it will be good to have some more info or audition them before making a decision