IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 3 (official thread)

7 hours ago, jimdukey said:

I didn't like the suggestion that I rushed into the latest and greatest.

If it doesn't work on a current OS, then sooner or later one will be left in the dust.

I have no problems on Sierra with any software I use. Quite the opposite.

If AV+ 3 works best on Mavericks, not EC, and obviously not Sierra, I don't want to not have Direct Mode, I will probably skip it, too many variables from all I've read here.

HQ does everything I need, no error messages, no it'll play this but it won't play that, or anything else.

On the other hand Damien said EC on an SSD will definitely work, and Direct Mode will work.

That seems like my best solution.

Do others think Mavericks is the way to go?

I need to be confident I'm getting the most out of AV+3.

Maybe your computer freezes w/ Sierra because Direct Mode is checked.

As I said, a lot of variables here.

1.) A+ runs just fine on El Capitan with Direct Mode enabled!

2.) A+ runs just fine on Sierra , but due to limitations of the OS Audirvana's own proprietary "Dircet Mode" won't work.

3.) Apples native "Integer mode" through CoreAudio does work on Sierra (the very same as HQPlayer, BTW!).

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

8 hours ago, watercourse said:

Here's what I'm working with now.

Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 3.46.03 PM.png

These are in any case "safe" settings regarding aliasing.

Basically I also like these settings (steepness: 31, cutoff: 0.98, pre-ringing: 0.72).

However, personally I try to get the ringing as low as possible. This is why I reduced the filter-steepness (at the expense of attentuating the highest frequencies a little bit to avoid aliasing). Lower ringing IMHO goes hand in hand with better precision (better definition), especially in the higher frequencies. As always, we have to deal with trade-offs... and it's clearly a matter of taste.

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

1 hour ago, damien78 said:

And I've just released the public beta of Audirvana Plus 3.1, playing to UPnP/DLNA network players!

You can get it from the dedicated section on audirvana.com

I'm eager to get your feedbacks!

Damien

Hi Damien,

Thanks for all of the work you did to add this functionality to Audirvana.  Since I use a Rendu (first a micro and now an ultra) with my Brooklyn DAC, my use of Audirvana (until now!) has been limited to my other DACs of lesser quality.  So today's indeed a happy one for me!

I successfully updated the uR software to enable the new functionality in its MPD/DLNA mode.  And in Audirvana I now can see my ultraRendu as a playback device.  Per your instruction, I specified the max sample rates both for PCM and DSD (i.e., 384kHz, and DSD-256).  When I then select the Audio Filters tab, and review the DSD Upsampling section, I am NOT given the option to choose anything other than DSD-64 (both DSD-128 and DSD-256 are greyed out in the pick list).  Changing the DSD filter didn't make a difference.  Did I miss something for DSD playback?

On a separate note, I did confirm that I could play music with PCM upsampling to 384kHz with no issues whatsoever.  

Thanks again!!

Nick 

If I download A+ 3.1 but I want to keep my A+ 2.6.8 working, do I need to do anything other than rename the A+ 2.6.8 executable?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

2 hours ago, soupdujour said:

Hi Damien,

Thanks for all of the work you did to add this functionality to Audirvana.  Since I use a Rendu (first a micro and now an ultra) with my Brooklyn DAC, my use of Audirvana (until now!) has been limited to my other DACs of lesser quality.  So today's indeed a happy one for me!

I successfully updated the uR software to enable the new functionality in its MPD/DLNA mode.  And in Audirvana I now can see my ultraRendu as a playback device.  Per your instruction, I specified the max sample rates both for PCM and DSD (i.e., 384kHz, and DSD-256).  When I then select the Audio Filters tab, and review the DSD Upsampling section, I am NOT given the option to choose anything other than DSD-64 (both DSD-128 and DSD-256 are greyed out in the pick list).  Changing the DSD filter didn't make a difference.  Did I miss something for DSD playback?

On a separate note, I did confirm that I could play music with PCM upsampling to 384kHz with no issues whatsoever.  

Thanks again!!

Nick 

Same here - DSD64 is actually greyed out, too, but if you select DSD upsampling, it *does* upsample to DSD64, but DSD128 or DSD256 are not selectable.

PS - Not to be ungrateful - very much enjoying the ability to stream to my microRendu from Audirvana :) The best way to listen to Qobuz streaming!

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

8 hours ago, jhwalker said:

DSD64 is actually greyed out

All DSD rates are greyed out, but DSD64 is preselected (has a tick beside it) on the Audio Filters tab.  

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Installed Audirvana 3.0.99.4 (Beta)... everything per the suggested beta tests worked fine. I don't (can't) use DSD, so unable to comment on others' experience related to that. 

A couple of pauses on Tidal when starting an album but that may be a Tidal or internet issue ... not sure.

Library display is really fast, but then I don't have a massive library.

I'm not a Roon or HQA user, so have been using Squeezelite mode up till now ... Audirvana is a good improvement both in sound quality and library management.

Audirvana & microRendu are a great pairing in my setup ... to my ears.

Great work Damien ... Magnifique !!

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

I've installed upmpdcli on my Cubox and am getting a (lack of) socket error - sorry for being so general, but I'm not at home.  (OS is Armbian Jessie upgraded to Stretch.)  Anyone feel up to remotely diagnosing the problem when I'm home and can send the exact error message?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

23 hours ago, damien78 said:

And I've just released the public beta of Audirvana Plus 3.1, playing to UPnP/DLNA network players!

You can get it from the dedicated section on audirvana.com

I'm eager to get your feedbacks!

Damien

Hi to all. I've only just joined the forum but i've been reading this thread on and off for the past couple of years (pro lurker!).

I have a quick question - is Audirvana+ 3.1 with its new UPnP/DLNA network feature, now compatible with a Chromecast Audio?

TIA

22 minutes ago, Frenzy said:

Hi to all. I've only just joined the forum but i've been reading this thread on and off for the past couple of years (pro lurker!).

I have a quick question - is Audirvana+ 3.1 with its new UPnP/DLNA network feature, now compatible with a Chromecast Audio?

TIA

These are different network protocols. So no.

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

On 30/07/2017 at 5:43 PM, soupdujour said:

Hi Damien,

Thanks again!!

Nick 

Thanks for the report.

I've fixed this issue in 3.0.99.5 you can get through the updating system. Using the "Check for updates..." command of the Audirvana Plus if the update popup is not coming fast enough ;)

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

I have found that if I re-start Audirvana 3.0.99.4 it sometimes crashes out when trying to play a track. Even though the microRendu it is already showing as the Active device, I find I need to re-select it ... and then its fine. 

Otherwise, working very well for me ... excellent sound through the mR ... It feels like I have a new collection of music ... the detail clarity is very good.

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

On 29.7.2017 at 10:37 AM, copy_of_a said:

As far as upsampling goes (...)

... my settings to date are steepness: 24, cutoff: 0.95 (pre-ringing: 0,36)

for the sake of completeness a short update ... cutoff 0.97 works fine ("safe") as well.

So the settings are:

steepness: 24

filter max. length: 500.000

cutoff frequ: 0.97

Anti-Aliasing: 100

pre-ringing: 0.36

Ok, will try this settings lot.

I'm still using the way-earlier settings from back when jud & superdad etc were working hard at sorting the possibilities of izotope filters.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

On 31/07/2017 at 2:16 PM, Jud said:

I've installed upmpdcli on my Cubox and am getting a (lack of) socket error - sorry for being so general, but I'm not at home.  (OS is Armbian Jessie upgraded to Stretch.)  Anyone feel up to remotely diagnosing the problem when I'm home and can send the exact error message?

The report is a bit vague, but last time we solved a problem about 'socket errors' and upmpdcli, the problem was that IP Multicast was not enabled on the machine (multicast is used for UPnP discovery). More specifically, the one time we had a precise solution, this was a buildroot-created system, and the solution was to enable CONFIG_IP_MULTICAST

https://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/github-issues/upmpdcli-html/issue-108.html

14 hours ago, copy_of_a said:

So the settings are:

steepness: 24

filter max. length: 500.000

cutoff frequ: 0.97

Anti-Aliasing: 100

pre-ringing: 0.36

I modified the filter settings along the lines suggested and also went to integer mode 2.   It has made a real difference, version 3 now definitely sounds better, very good in fact.   But I do feel that to get the best from version 3 you need to adjust the settings - perhaps that's maybe why some people have had SQ issues going to version 3 with the same settings they used for version 2?

I wonder if it's possible to put a higher level user interface on top of all those very techy parameter settings?   The combinatorial possibilities are huge, but the 'feasible region' for optimum SQ is much smaller - although the shape of that region will be a bit different for each user/system of course.   Adjustments could then be made using sound/musical terms rather than the technical, dare I say nerdy, magic numbers.    

4 hours ago, medoc said:

The report is a bit vague, but last time we solved a problem about 'socket errors' and upmpdcli, the problem was that IP Multicast was not enabled on the machine (multicast is used for UPnP discovery). More specifically, the one time we had a precise solution, this was a buildroot-created system, and the solution was to enable CONFIG_IP_MULTICAST

https://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/github-issues/upmpdcli-html/issue-108.html

The "report" was more than just a bit vague, so I am very grateful for the excellent help.  Thanks!

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

fyi,  In version 3.0.99.5  and 3.0.99.4 the app quits when it begins to load the Fabfilter Pro Q2 plugin after loading the track to play).  It will open and play tracks with the plugin turned off, and AV version 2.X loads the plugin and plays the track fine. 

32 minutes ago, lonf said:

fyi,  In version 3.0.99.5  and 3.0.99.4 the app quits when it begins to load the Fabfilter Pro Q2 plugin after loading the track to play).  It will open and play tracks with the plugin turned off, and AV version 2.X loads the plugin and plays the track fine. 

Can you first update to 3.0.99.6 (using the "Check for updates" command of the Audirvana Plus menu), and if it still crashes, send me by email or PM the crash report, and the Debug Info.

Thx,

Damien

40 minutes ago, lonf said:

I was just about to report my first findings back when I read your post. I use that same plugin. In my case it works fine with the plugin enabled. I do have A+ crashes/direct quitting though. But only when I play tracks from Tidal. If it occurs, it is within one or two seconds after a track starts. There is no constant behaviour. So sometimes I am able to listen to a complete Tidal album.

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

1 hour ago, damien78 said:

Can you first update to 3.0.99.6 (using the "Check for updates" command of the Audirvana Plus menu), and if it still crashes, send me by email or PM the crash report, and the Debug Info.

Thx,

Damien

See my post above. I'll also try updating first. EDIT: I updated to 3.0.99.6 but still the direct quitting playing Tidal tracks.

Other question Damien: I see - if I select the microRendu - low level playback options like exclusive mode, direct mode and integer mode are gone. Does this mean they don't apply to DNLA mode? If so, is it needless for me to stay on Yosemite? I did this because of Apple's messing up direct mode in later OS's.

An other thing I noticed. When I play a MQA file via Tidal that is for instance 192/24 or 48/24 it is send by A+ to the mRendu/DAC as 96/24. Is fact all MQA is send as 96/24 as far as I've experienced.

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz