IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 3 (official thread)

I've been resolutely sticking with El Capitan to avoid any issues with A+, my Mac Mini having just 2 non-simultaneous functions, as a music store/renderer and as a movie server. Does updating beyond El Capitan have any real positive benefits?

Mac Mini - late 2012: core i5/2.5GHz/16GB/2x1TB SSDs/El Capitan, headless - Audirvana optimised, dedicated USB bus - USB Regen - Chord Dave DAC - tri-amped with Bryston amps - PMC/ATC speaker combo. (Detail in my profile.)

12 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

I've been resolutely sticking with El Capitan to avoid any issues with A+, my Mac Mini having just 2 non-simultaneous functions, as a music store/renderer and as a movie server. Does updating beyond El Capitan have any real positive benefits?

For your setup and having Direct Mode on always... i'll stick with El Capitan if i was you.

For me i prefer Sierra without a doubt. Copying large files between my MacMini (music) and backups to other iMac, is way faster for me... 1mb to 10mb now compare to El Capitan. I was affraid that rate would go back with 10.12.4 since Apple love to mess things up... but no, all good yet.

Since 3.0.3 i had a couple of times in a week maybe... i would lost for a second music sound... was with Damien settings in A+ Manual for Izotope Upsampling at DSD128... so i cranked the 500 000 settings to 1 000 000, but had one today again... cranked to max filters setting at 2 000 000. Activity Window is as good as it was and maybe better (speaking of CPU resting time at 0%) compared to 10.12.3. So pretty happy on my side  :-)

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

i don't know the difference really between El Capitan for Music compare to Sierra, but i never loved El Capitan

just for MAC system speaking... i remember seeing some place that it was like the Vista of Windows  lol

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Hi guys

I have had this issue since 2.5.
Usually when I start listening to music using A+, I get a 1-5 sec dropout during the first few songs I play.  A+ does it once or twice and then never do it again. 

Has anyone else seen this issue?

2 Channel: Mac mini with Audirvana + & A+ Remote -> Netgear AC170 -> microRendu -> Chord Mojo -> oppo HA-1 -> Arcam  P49 -> B&W 804 D3

5 Channel: Apple TV/Sony XBR-65A9G -> Rotel RSP-1098 -> oppo HA-1 (bypass) -> Arcam P49 -> B&W 804 D3 (L/R), Arcam P349 -> B&W 804 D3 (C), B&W 805 D3 (RR/LR)

3 minutes ago, trybeingarun said:

Looks like I am the only unlucky person who has issues with Direct Mode & Integer Mode in Sierra :-( . Even after following these instructions to the tee if I have both Direct Mode & Integer mode on and plug the DAC usb chord out or turn of the DAC my mac still crashes.

Have you tried uncheck one of those two, or both and see if it still crash?

1 minute ago, trybeingarun said:

It crashes only in that configuration. If i have just direct mode on or integer mode on things work just fine.

It crashes with the 2 on but if just one on it is playing fine whatever the one on, yes?

you have message on screen or just plain crash?

9 minutes ago, RunHomeSlow said:

It crashes with the 2 on but if just one on it is playing fine whatever the one on, yes?

you have message on screen or just plain crash?

Yes, it crashes only when the two modes are on, not in any other configuration. Also it's a system crash, not Audirvana crash. I get a general message informing me that Mac has crashed and will restart in a few seconds followed by a system restart.

4 minutes ago, trybeingarun said:

Yes, it crashes only when the two modes are on, not in any other configuration. Also it's a system crash, not Audirvana crash. I get a general message informing me that Mac has crashed and will restart in a few seconds followed by a system restart.

Mmmm... you sure you did the COMPLETE direct mode routine for Sierra in order and All steps ?

that one thing can screw your mac for not working or maybe crash like you... not too familiar with interger mode but i think also driver of your dac if you have can be out of date??  are you on 10.12.4 release version today?  my routine for Direct Mode is woking fine with the new apple update today (10.12.4) 

You want to start from scratch?

maybe you have some preferences corrupted if it was working before...

i've post those things many times...  :-)

If you have Playlists that are important export them first to desktop and save them in a folder...

when A+ is reset, you can re-import them back.

You can try starting from scratch by deleting those files:

Go to the main Library Folder... PrivilegedHelperTools folder... Trash the com.audirvana.Audirvana-Plus file

Go to the main Library Folder...LaunchDaemons folder... Trash the com.audirvana.Audirvana-Plus.plist

Go to User... Home Folder... Library... Applications Support... Audirvana Folder...

Trash the AudirvanaPlusDatabase.sqlite (that is your database of music, back it up!)

Go to User... Home Folder... Library... Preferences...

trash com.audirvana.Audirvana-Plus.plist (those are A+ software preferences)

Restart MAC just to be sure... This will reset pretty much Audirvana like new.

When choosing library at first it will sync in top right main window under the logo...

LET IT GO, even better don't try to adjust windows or edit files... even playing music while it is not finished...

you'll see the progress bar going... Could be long the first time... depending on how large your library is and computer is fast or not... go to sleep... then see :-)

On 3/20/2017 at 7:16 PM, RunHomeSlow said:

Broken Pipe bug still happening with 3.0.3 if i check ''Disable Spotlight'' in System Optimizer.

This happened to me on my SD card boot of Yosemite only. Once I unchecked the Disable Spotlight, I also got the message that Integer Mode was not available, so had to uncheck this.

Neither of these bugs occur on my SSD boot of Yosemite running 3.03.

Late 2012 Mac Mini > Audirvana+3 > iFi Zen Stream > Heimdall 2 USB >  iFi iDSD Micro BL > Pass Labs INT-30A > DeVore The Nines! + REL Strata III

Well-Tempered Amadeus Benz ACE SL > Pass Labs XOno

"Water is the most critical resource issue of our lifetime and our children's lifetime. The health of our waters is the principal measure of how we live on the land." - Luna Leopold

1 minute ago, watercourse said:

This happened to me on my SD card boot of Yosemite only. Once I unchecked the Disable Spotlight, I also got the message that Integer Mode was not available, so had to uncheck this.

what are those pipes anyway  lol

i trashed my Library Folder... PrivilegedHelperTools folder... with the A+ file in it...

restart the mac reinstall SysOpt as asked when lauching A+...

today was 10.12.4  and not seen that message yet. don't know except that Damien

did change something since 3.0.2 in SysOpt with Sierra... as in his changed log

of software

8 minutes ago, watercourse said:

when i have the broken pipe bug... mine after clicking the window music will just play... but i don't take chances losing quality... so i just quit A+ and restart it... not the MAC... usually the message not come back ??  :-) all play fine... again not seen it today

9 minutes ago, RunHomeSlow said:

You want to start from scratch?

maybe you have some preferences corrupted if it was working before...

i've post those things many times...  :-)

If you have Playlists that are important export them first to desktop and save them in a folder...

when A+ is reset, you can re-import them back.

You can try starting from scratch by deleting those files:

Go to the main Library Folder... PrivilegedHelperTools folder... Trash the com.audirvana.Audirvana-Plus file

Go to the main Library Folder...LaunchDaemons folder... Trash the com.audirvana.Audirvana-Plus.plist

Go to User... Home Folder... Library... Applications Support... Audirvana folder...

Trash the AudirvanaPlusDatabase.sqlite (that is your database of music, back it up!)

Go to User... Home Folder... Library... Preferences...

trash com.audirvana.Audirvana-Plus.plist (those are A+ software preferences)

Restart MAC just to be sure... This will reset pretty much Audirvana like new.

When choosing library at first it will sync in top right main window under the logo...

LET IT GO, even better don't try to adjust windows or edit files... even playing music while it is not finished...

you'll see the progress bar going... Could be long the first time... depending on how large your library is and computer is fast or not... go to sleep... then see :-)

Hmmm. Looks like it's going to be a lot of trial & error. Will try this out in the evening. Thanks for the exhaustive list!

Damien... will it be possible to save all are preferences in one place... or one file?

i know now trashing the 4 files  i said up there pretty much reset A+ like new. but i learned that now also have to save the playlists first... but again, i learned also that resetting that, losing my numbers for played songs for each CD... so it is like i never played my music once...  :-)

2 minutes ago, trybeingarun said:

Hmmm. Looks like it's going to be a lot of trial & error. Will try this out in the evening. Thanks for the exhaustive list!

it is easy 4 files to trash... if your database is not so big... no worry, just time  :-)

i don't have those problems, but be good also to shut down those DAC unplugged them before... if there is some things like bridges before the DAC to unplugged them and just connect the basic just to see if it is working, then replug the rest... trial and errors, yes for finding the error  :-)

A+ since 2.5 or 2.6 (can't remember) is so much faster then before and resyncing a database  from scratch like mine of 32000 flac tracks takes only less then a minute for me, so it is not a problem...

37 minutes ago, RunHomeSlow said:

when i have the broken pipe bug... mine after clicking the window music will just play... but i don't take chances losing quality... so i just quit A+ and restart it... not the MAC... usually the message not come back ??  :-) all play fine... again not seen it today

Well, I got it playing after unchecking both disable spotlight and integer mode... but then while it is playing, I can restart both disable spotlight and integer mode with no problems.

I will report if it happens again.

Late 2012 Mac Mini > Audirvana+3 > iFi Zen Stream > Heimdall 2 USB >  iFi iDSD Micro BL > Pass Labs INT-30A > DeVore The Nines! + REL Strata III

Well-Tempered Amadeus Benz ACE SL > Pass Labs XOno

"Water is the most critical resource issue of our lifetime and our children's lifetime. The health of our waters is the principal measure of how we live on the land." - Luna Leopold

9 minutes ago, watercourse said:

Well, I got it playing after unchecking both disable spotlight and integer mode... but then while it is playing, I can restart both disable spotlight and integer mode with no problems.

I will report if it happens again.

I think checking something while A+ is playing like unable Direct Mode in sierra while you didn't change the extension is not working even if enable... the next time you restart is not working... better always i think, restarting A+ when changing something in prefs panel just to be sure  :-)

5 minutes ago, TommyCat said:

How do you "update" the Kext file?

Someone else can give you the info, but just wanted to caution: "kext" means "kernel extension," so it's the core of the operating system.  Do a backup first!  Then *thoroughly* understand all the steps beforehand, and print them out or have them handy on another computer/device while you're proceeding.  If this concerns you, don't bother doing the process.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.