IGNORED

CA Site Upgrade Coming March 18, 2017

Hi Guys - I just want to give everyone a heads up that the biggest CA site upgrade yet, is happening March 18, 2017. Visible, will be a completely new interface with added functionality. Behind the scenes, a completely new server and extensive new software will be implemented.

The mobile web interface is vastly superior to the current mobile web interface, so I'm not sure if/when I'll create a CA mobile app for iOS and Android. At launch, the current apps will cease functioning. We'll have to see how it goes when people use the new desktop web and mobile web interfaces. As usual, I'm always open to feedback and suggestions.

I know we'll experience some hiccups and bumps in the road as we switch from the old to the new site beginning March 18, 2017. This is why I want to warn people that it's coming, and thank everyone in advance for being patient.

During the site switch-over, the site will be down for several hours. I will be posting updates via the CA Twitter account at https://twitter.com/audiophilestyle

P.S. I'm very excited about the new CA. I've been working on it for months and have what I believe is the final version 99% ready to launch. I'll keep this thread updated as we get closer to the date.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

A March 18th update, we'll all be to hungover from St.Patrick's day to notice :)

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

The company I work for (as well as many others I know of) is moving away from an app-based solution for mobile, to an improved mobile web interface.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

The company I work for (as well as many others I know of) is moving away from an app-based solution for mobile, to an improved mobile web interface.

Ah, interesting to hear. Apps are a pain in the neck to maintain, especially apps for iOS. Apple makes it really difficult to get an app available to the public (all for good reasons according to them). I hope the new mobile web interface is up to everyone's standards.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Ah, interesting to hear. Apps are a pain in the neck to maintain, especially apps for iOS. Apple makes it really difficult to get an app available to the public (all for good reasons according to them). I hope the new mobile web interface is up to everyone's standards.

I vote for a web only mobile interface, don't bother with a special app. That is how I access CA now, I haven't used your apps for quite a while.

Jim

Ha, just like every time some non-audiophile code head "upgrades" the OS at the Apple House, Sonos goes nuts, DACs die and outrage ensues.

The best upgrade is no upgrade.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

I vote for a web only mobile interface, don't bother with a special app. That is how I access CA now, I haven't used your apps for quite a while.

+1 same here and it is an annoyance that each time I do, Apple reminds me that "there's an app for this..." :)

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

Hi Chris:

I use the CA app on my iPad (in bed, before I go to sleep and in the morning when I wake up--pathetic I know ;)).

One thing I really like about the app versus the web site is how it lets me catch up on subscribed threads. Can see all my subscriptions, touch any one of them, and scroll through the posts--still with the thread list on the left side.

On the web, neither the New Posts screen nor the MyActivity>Subscriptions tab on the Member screen offer anything like that easy catch-up experience. The subscriptions tab is particularly an eyesore in that it separately lists every post from every subscribed thread in chronological order, with the thread title in the middle of the header line for each post. Gives me a major headache and is the primary reason (other than trying to avoid being distracted from work all day) I wait until the evening to catch up using the iPad app.

So I hope that either/both your new desktop interface and the mobile interface offer a pleasant means of reviewing subscribed threads.

Lastly, I assume you will PM all us forum sponsors if there are going to be changes that affect the way our forums work, sort, or appear.

Looking forward to the refresh!

Thanks and regards,

--Alex C.

Hi Chris:

I use the CA app on my iPad (in bed, before I go to sleep and in the morning when I wake up--pathetic I know ;)).

One thing I really like about the app versus the web site is how it lets me catch up on subscribed threads. Can see all my subscriptions, touch any one of them, and scroll through the posts--still with the thread list on the left side.

On the web, neither the New Posts screen nor the MyActivity>Subscriptions tab on the Member screen offer anything like that easy catch-up experience. The subscriptions tab is particularly an eyesore in that it separately lists every post from every subscribed thread in chronological order, with the thread title in the middle of the header line for each post. Gives me a major headache and is the primary reason (other than trying to avoid being distracted from work all day) I wait until the evening to catch up using the iPad app.

So I hope that either/both your new desktop interface and the mobile interface offer a pleasant means of reviewing subscribed threads.

Lastly, I assume you will PM all us forum sponsors if there are going to be changes that affect the way our forums work, sort, or appear.

Looking forward to the refresh!

Thanks and regards,

--Alex C.

Thanks for the info Alex.

Throw out what you know about the current web interface. The new CA is completely different.

The new CA will use a little different terminology, but offer much better capability. Here is a screenshot from the mobile version on my phone. Streams are where content can be viewed like this. You can even create personalized streams based on your own criteria (with limits).

Screenshot.png

I will of course be contacting you and the other sponsors who maintain forums here on CA. I plan to make the upgrade as seamless as possible for you guys. I'm sure there will be some issues, but with your assistance we can work through them.

Thanks for the info Alex.

Throw out what you know about the current web interface. The new CA is completely different.

The new CA will use a little different terminology, but offer much better capability. Here is a screenshot from the mobile version on my phone. Streams are where content can be viewed like this. You can even create personalized streams based on your own criteria (with limits).

I will of course be contacting you and the other sponsors who maintain forums here on CA. I plan to make the upgrade as seamless as possible for you guys. I'm sure there will be some issues, but with your assistance we can work through them.

That all sounds (and looks) wonderful Chris! Thanks...:)

I will be more than happy to experience the new mobile web interface as I most of the times read CA posts on my iPad in the evening while listening to some music.

Never really liked the app version to be honest.

I've worked in mobile app development for 8 years and mobile web is absolutely the future for a large portion of channels. Native and hybrid apps will always play a part but dealing with app store approval processes and revenue models make mobile web very attractive.

There are a number of audio sites I like to read - audiokarma, pink fish, art of sound Etc - but I mainly use CA now as the app on the iPhone is a far more user friendly and satisfying experience than a web site.

I hope progress doesn't can still recognise the strengths of where CA is.

Which is not to say progress isn't needed and to be congratulated as this is a further strength over the mentioned dites

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Until one year ago I used the mobile web interface, as there was no app for the WindowsPhone I used at the time.

It was fast and easy to read, but the main problem was that images attached to posts were not displayed.

Hope the new web interface handle images better. If this is well implemented, I will be happy to uninstall the ca app from my current Android phone.

Regards,

Jorge

• 2 weeks later...