IGNORED

Usb cable

can anyone give me a definitive heads up on great performing USB Cable and a Spdif coax cable please

i currently use a Supra 2 USB and a home-brew Spdif.

I have a very nice DAC and Spdif/USB Converter and want to maximise their SQ..

Do i now go Custom made Silver cable etc. or are there Giant killers out there off the shelf??

Any thoughts welcome.

Many Thanks

can anyone give me a definitive heads up on great performing USB Cable and a Spdif coax cable please

Do i now go Custom made Silver cable etc. or are there Giant killers out there off the shelf??

Any thoughts welcome.

Many Thanks

Hi,

There are a number of excellent USB and S/PDIF cables on the market these days. I'm partial to Wireworld and Nordost myself. (Disclaimer: I'm a dealer for both of these brands.)

What's your rough budget? DAC and converter? This information will help us make better targeted suggestions.

jwr

HI JWR

I have a SW1X DAC Signature and SW1X USB/Spidif converter

SW1X Audio Design » SW1X DAC I Signature

My budget...well i don't know really, i'd say around £150 each cable...

But thats just my issue really...

Is there a significant improvement from a £20 cable to a £200 cable.

I don't mind spending but not on snake oil...

So if it's a sure fire performer then I don't mind spending.

Thanks for your input

There are a number of excellent USB and S/PDIF cables on the market these days. I'm partial to Wireworld and Nordost myself. (Disclaimer: I'm a dealer for both of these brands.)

What's your rough budget? DAC and converter? This information will help us make better targeted suggestions.

jwr

Hi,

jwr

I'm not familiar with your SW1X component(s). That said, in my experience and the experience of many others, with quality gear there is definitely an audible difference between digital cables at different price points. That doesn't mean that the more expensive cable is always the one that gives the best results in every case. But generally, with reputable companies that expend serious resources on R&D (Wireworld, Nordost, Shunyata, etc.), moving up in price is moving up in performance. That's all I'll say about that as I have no interest in debating the merits of audiophile cables here.

My advice is to find a dealer locally and try some cables in your own system. See what you hear. You might spend a little more on your digital cables, but you'll save money in the long run by buying something you know works well in your system.

Good luck and good listening!

jwr

HI JWR

I have a SW1X DAC Signature and SW1X USB/Spidif converter

SW1X Audio Design » SW1X DAC I Signature

My budget...well i don't know really, i'd say around £150 each cable...

But thats just my issue really...

Is there a significant improvement from a £20 cable to a £200 cable.

I don't mind spending but not on snake oil...

So if it's a sure fire performer then I don't mind spending.

Thanks for your input

jwr

jwr

great advice, thanks, i will get some home demos...

I'm not familiar with your SW1X component(s). That said, in my experience and the experience of many others, with quality gear there is definitely an audible difference between digital cables at different price points. That doesn't mean that the more expensive cable is always the one that gives the best results in every case. But generally, with reputable companies that expend serious resources on R&D (Wireworld, Nordost, Shunyata, etc.), moving up in price is moving up in performance. That's all I'll say about that as I have no interest in debating the merits of audiophile cables here.

My advice is to find a dealer locally and try some cables in your own system. See what you hear. You might spend a little more on your digital cables, but you'll save money in the long run by buying something you know works well in your system.

Good luck and good listening!

jwr

You should check out the cable co lending library at https://www.thecableco.com I have used them a few times to try out cables and they have been very good to work with. They have a great selection. Basically you pay a deposit of 5% of the total cable cost on each cable you want to borrow. If you decided to buy later then whatever deposit amount (and it accumulates) you have can be used as credit towards your purchase. I have 2 USB cables out at the moment on loan

Wow thats a bloody civilised way of doing it!!

I'm in London UK...I wonder if anything like that exists here!

You should check out the cable co lending library at https://www.thecableco.com I have used them a few times to try out cables and they have been very good to work with. They have a great selection. Basically you pay a deposit of 5% of the total cable cost on each cable you want to borrow. If you decided to buy later then whatever deposit amount (and it accumulates) you have can be used as credit towards your purchase. I have 2 USB cables out at the moment on loan

Haha I knew that question was coming!

Well..Nothing!!...Just that overhanging unanswered question, is it a weak link....am I maximising the full potential SQ of the DAC with

that cable. I believe it's a legitimate question to ask and an itch to have, as others have said there is indeed better sounding USB cables to be experinced.

What's wrong on your Supra USB cable?

IMO Supra USB is not a weak point in your setup (others may have different opinion ...).

If you want to try something I would rather try some of the known USB tweaks - injecting clean power to DAC USB port or some of the (relatively) inexpensive USB boxes like those discussed here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/group-test-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-gadgets-aq-jitterbug-uptone-regen-ifi-iusb3-0-ipurifier-ipurifier2-intona-w4s-recovery-any-more-%85-31332/

But I wouldn't do it without possibility to return them to the seller, as level of improvement depends on concrete setup.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

Any thoughts welcome.

Many Thanks

USB

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030301&p_id=5438&seq=1&format=2

S/PDIF

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023601&p_id=2743&seq=1&format=2

v

Haha I knew that question was coming!

Well..Nothing!!...Just that overhanging unanswered question, is it a weak link....am I maximising the full potential SQ of the DAC with

that cable. I believe it's a legitimate question to ask and an itch to have, as others have said there is indeed better sounding USB cables to be experinced.

I agree, I don't think the Supra is a problem. By all means experiment, but I doubt you'll find anything better. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to spend a few bucks Phoenix Contact make a good USB cable. It's about $70 on Digikey. I believe it is USB on Firewire. I wouldn't goof around around with expensive USB cable unless they have a complete Data Sheet of their specs. Otherwise who knows what your are buying.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Dahlquist DQ-10 Speakers DQ-LP1 crossover 2 DW-1 Subs

Dynaco Mk III Mains - Rotel 991 Subs

Wyred W4S Pre Gustard X10 DAC

SOtM dx-USB-HD reclocked SOtMmBPS-d2s

Intel Thin-mini ITX

I would keep the supra to feed an Intona (Industrial) isolator and then buy (or preferably DIY) a very short high quality USB cable from the Intona to your DAC.

Any thoughts welcome.

Many Thanks

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen