IGNORED

Iso regen

This does pose an interesting upgrade path question for me.

Currently have a RUR flanked by curious cables into my DAC.

The RUR is using cheap SMPS at the moment and I was going to power it with an LPS-1....

But now maybe selling the RUR and putting the IR in may be better bang for pound (buck)...???

This does pose an interesting upgrade path question for me.

Currently have a RUR flanked by curious cables into my DAC.

The RUR is using cheap SMPS at the moment and I was going to power it with an LPS-1....

But now maybe selling the RUR and putting the IR in may be better bang for pound (buck)...???

Great question that a lot of people would be asking (looking for best bang for buck). But it seems like the ISO REGEN needs either an LPS-1 or a linear power supply (for the leakage currents reasons). Certainly the upgrades can be done in steps though but the ultimate end result is LPS-1 and ISO Regen for sure. Just depends how quickly each person decides to get there, depending on each budget at the time.

If I were you (given your current setup) I'd actually start with the LPS-1, replacing the SMPS and when funds allow later add an ISO Regen. Only one opinion though. Certainly no hard and fast rules with this game :-)

Sent from my Blackberry DTEK50 using Tapatalk

Great question that a lot of people would be asking (looking for best bang for buck). But it seems like the ISO REGEN needs either an LPS-1 or a linear power supply (for the leakage currents reasons). Certainly the upgrades can be done in steps though but the ultimate end result is LPS-1 and ISO Regen for sure. Just depends how quickly each person decides to get there, depending on each budget at the time.

If I were you (given your current setup) I'd actually start with the LPS-1, replacing the SMPS and when funds allow later add an ISO Regen. Only one opinion though. Certainly no hard and fast rules with this game :-)

Except the LPS-1 is energized by an SMPS. Won't this SMPS contaminate the mains? Yes, you will get clean power into and out of the ISO Regen which is very important. But what about the devices getting power form the same AC circuit?

My plan is to have everything in the audio system on one AC circuit and everything in the computer system, including the ISO Regen, on another circuit. I don't want the SMPS for the LPS-1 creating issues for the AC feeding the audio equipment.

Except the LPS-1 is energized by an SMPS. Won't this SMPS contaminate the mains? Yes, you will get clean power into and out of the ISO Regen which is very important. But what about the devices getting power form the same AC circuit?

My plan is to have everything in the audio system on one AC circuit and everything in the computer system, including the ISO Regen, on another circuit. I don't want the SMPS for the LPS-1 creating issues for the AC feeding the audio equipment.

Another great question but there is an entire thread about the energizing plugpack for the LPS-1. The charging bank of ultracaps is completely isolated from the discharging so you can be happy forever using the meanwell SMPS that Alex includes with the LPS-1. Feel free to read that entire thread but I think I just saved you a lot of reading :-)

This is also the reason I thought you should replace your current SMPS with the LPS-1 + Energizing Meanwell, as the first upgrade. Then add a Iso Regen when budget allows later

Another great question but there is an entire thread about the energizing plugpack for the LPS-1. The charging bank of ultracaps is completely isolated from the discharging so you can be happy forever using the meanwell SMPS that Alex includes with the LPS-1. Feel free to read that entire thread but I think I just saved you a lot of reading :-)

Re-read what I wrote. I am not worried about the SMPS energizing the LPS-1 contaminating the DC power the LPS-1 generates. I have concerns about the SMPS contaminating the AC mains and causing issues for other devices using that AC power.

Re-read what I wrote. I am not worried about the SMPS energizing the LPS-1 contaminating the DC power the LPS-1 generates. I have concerns about the SMPS contaminating the AC mains and causing issues for other devices using that AC power.

Hi mate, my mistake. There's another big thread for that:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-uptone-audio-sponsored/discussion-ac-mains-isolation-transformers-started-w-posts-moved-linear-power-supply-1-troubleshooting-thread-30378/

A lot of stuff in there about that. John S gave me and many others a lot of advice in there.

But I don't want to go off topic in this thread, so check out the link above if you get time. Really useful stuff that made my overhaul a lot of power related stuff in my system.

And of course there is the very specific thread on the topic, the place where I occasionally shunt the SMPS-worried posts to:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-uptone-audio-sponsored/discussions-alternate-energizing-charging-ps-units-use-ultracap-linear-power-supply-1-not-any-will-make-any-difference-output-30026/

:)

P.S. What's with the Ground Lift switch on the iGalvanic? Probably to defeat the isolation for when it causes problems. We have been struggling for a couple of months to avoid having to offer that bail-out "feature" ourselves. That is still up in the air. ;)

Alex, iFi has provided some information about their Ground Link in post #17 in this thread

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f30-abbingdon-music-research-ifi-audio-sponsored/ifi-audio-igalvanic3-0-holy-grail-computer-audio-31885/#post647125

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

... and I still have no doubts about where my money will rather go ;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

... and I still have no doubts about where my money will rather go ;)

Thanks Paolo. :)

Alex, iFi has provided some information about their Ground Link in post #17 ...

Yes, it is interesting that iFi is including a 3-position ground switch on the iGalvanic (at least one position of which will partially defeat the isolation).

Once one deciphers their heavy doses of marketing-speak (I mean their device, just like the ISO REGEN is the Silanna chip, a hub chip, a clock, and some power supply stuff), you can see at the end they likely faced similar problems we did, which is that some DACs' USB inputs are really fussy when you isolate them.

Funny thing is, we've been using the iFi micro iDSD DAC as one of our "corner cases" for testing. It and other entirely bus-powered DACs are the most problematic of all when you fully isolate them.

We have been trying to avoid including a switch on the ISO REGEN (its in the same size case as original USB REGEN so it can still be mounted right at the input of the DAC for best signal integrity/impedance match and to avoid the need for an extra cable), but it may get a tiny switch after all.

----------

And hey, because it is Friday and the CA site is going down tomorrow for its makeover, here is a tidbit we have been holding back for many months. It is a truly solid USB A>B adapter--made with a PCB and perfectly impedance-matched (John calculated in the connector pin gauges when laying out the trace widths, etc. of the board). There is even a switch to disconnect VBUS (for DACs that don't need any; the transistor you see is the switch--a tiny dip switch can't handle the VBUS current).

And we will offer a version where the "B" plug is turned 90-degrees--for folks who have trouble fitting their REGEN or microRendu to their DAC with a standard orientation.

Pricing is not decided yet (in truth I have not yet sent it for bid though John gave me the files months ago). But we plan to offer it as an add-on on the ISO REGEN order page--as well as selling it separately.

John and I have both been using the prototypes for a while now. They sound great! Much better than any other cable we have or the stock Chinese "solid" (with wires squished inside) adapter that has always shipped with the REGEN or microRendu.

So I present to you the USPCB!

USPCB proto.jpg

Now, this is freakin amazing.

Best idea of the year.

When I saw your pics earlier I started shopping for a very good cable, better than the Curious I have.

THANKS. I really mean it. Brilliant.

Mac Mini Late 2014 (16G/SSD) w Uptone JS-2 w OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini RAID (JS-2) / Roon

Aqua LinQ w EtherCon cable (Ghent) w Uptone EtherRegen w Uptone JS-2

Aqua Formula xHD w Ocellia RCA Interconnect & Shunyata Delta NR

Kora TB 200 Integrated Amplifier w Audio Art Power Cable

Magico V2 w Ocellia speaker cables w Shunyata Dark Field Elevator & JL Audio E-Sub e110 X 2

All equipment, including subwoofer on Modulum platforms (modulumaudio.com)

Thanks Paolo. :)

Yes, it is interesting that iFi is including a 3-position ground switch on the iGalvanic (at least one position of which will partially defeat the isolation).

Once one deciphers their heavy doses of marketing-speak (I mean their device, just like the ISO REGEN is the Silanna chip, a hub chip, a clock, and some power supply stuff), you can see at the end they likely faced similar problems we did, which is that some DACs' USB inputs are really fussy when you isolate them.

Funny thing is, we've been using the iFi micro iDSD DAC as one of our "corner cases" for testing. It and other entirely bus-powered DACs are the most problematic of all when you fully isolate them.

We have been trying to avoid including a switch on the ISO REGEN (its in the same size case as original USB REGEN so it can still be mounted right at the input of the DAC for best signal integrity/impedance match and to avoid the need for an extra cable), but it may get a tiny switch after all.

----------

And hey, because it is Friday and the CA site is going down tomorrow for its makeover, here is a tidbit we have been holding back for many months. It is a truly solid USB A>B adapter--made with a PCB and perfectly impedance-matched (John calculated in the connector pin gauges when laying out the trace widths, etc. of the board). There is even a switch to disconnect VBUS (for DACs that don't need any; the transistor you see is the switch--a tiny dip switch can't handle the VBUS current).

And we will offer a version where the "B" plug is turned 90-degrees--for folks who have trouble fitting their REGEN or microRendu to their DAC with a standard orientation.

Pricing is not decided yet (in truth I have not yet sent it for bid though John gave me the files months ago). But we plan to offer it as an add-on on the ISO REGEN order page--as well as selling it separately.

John and I have both been using the prototypes for a while now. They sound great! Much better than any other cable we have or the stock Chinese "solid" (with wires squished inside) adapter that has always shipped with the REGEN or microRendu.

So I present to you the USPCB!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34154[/ATTACH]

Please add the option that an extra USB adapter may be ordered. I guess Mr ->IR -> DAC needs 2☺

Since you posted a picture of the ISO REGEN with your micro iDSD, I assume they work together without the need for a switch. Is that a good assumption?

Terrific news that you've done that quality solid adapter! Is the name really USPCB, or did you maybe mean USBPCB?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Ask and you shall receive. :) Here is a photo of a single UltraCap LPS-1 powering both a Sonore microRendu and an ISO REGEN--and the ISO REGEN is in turn powering/charging the power-hungry 100% bus-powered iFi micro iDSD DAC/headphone amp.

This is really no different than doing the same chain with a USB REGEN--except in this case the ISO REGEN is using 5VBUS power from the microRendu to power the upstream side of the ISO REGEN's isolator chip. (Whereas the USB REGEN does not use any VBUS power.)

So yes, I just revealed the one installation/usage difference of ISO REGEN: It does require VBUS power for its upstream/input side. And, not that the "dirty" side requires it, but we use one of the ISO's 5(!) ultra-ultra-low-noise LT3042 voltage regulators to make 3.3V out of the 5VBUS for the isolator. They are pricy, so I guess we save a small amount by buying more for each, and their tiny size really helps since our little 2.5 square-inch ISO REGEN board already has 86 parts on it! (parts on both sides of the board now).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33987[/ATTACH]

The only problem I see, for my setup, is that I like to use the DC adapter for powering the Regen, soon to be ISO Regen, with the LPS-1. If I use your new USB adapter from server to ISO Regen, there won't be enough room between the two to slide the LPS-1 in and connect with the DC adapter. Too bad that power input couldn't be from the side for the ISO Regen?

Otherwise I will have to either use a small USB chord from the Server to ISO Regen or use a small DC chord from LPS-1 to the ISO Regen.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Otherwise I will have to either use a small USB chord from the Server to ISO Regen or use a small DC chord from LPS-1 to the ISO Regen.

Forgive my prying ElviaCaprice, but do you use a single LPS-1 for powering both your PP V2 USB Card and Regen? I'm going the PP + ISO Regen route as well. Thanks.

Forgive my prying ElviaCaprice, but do you use a single LPS-1 for powering both your PP V2 USB Card and Regen? I'm going the PP + ISO Regen route as well. Thanks.

I have two LPS-1's. One for the PPA V2 card/Intona, the other for the Regen/IFI DAC. Using a DC adapter or as short a DC chord as possible with the LPS-1 makes a difference.

I'm still going to need two LPS-1's with the ISO Regen. One for the PPA V2/ISO Regen, the other for the ISO Regen/IFI DAC. Remember the ISO Regen is powered separately in two different stages, you don't want to break the galvanic isolation using only one LPS-1 for both, even if capable.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

I'm still going to need two LPS-1's with the ISO Regen. One for the PPA V2/ISO Regen, the other for the ISO Regen/IFI DAC. Remember the ISO Regen is powered separately in two different stages, you don't want to break the galvanic isolation using only one LPS-1 for both, even if capable.

Of course, I forgot about galvanic isolation. Looks like I'll need 2. Thanks for that, very helpful.

You two have me confused. Why would you need two ISO REGENs?

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Just one, Iso Regen. I only described it as two so as to separate the power of each end of the galvanic isolation. Two LPS-1's. I think the PPA V2 USB card needs all the LPS-1 can output anyways. So one LPS-1 wouldn't have enough output to power both the PPA V2 USB card and the Iso Regen.

I'm a bit confused.

Maybe it's because Superdad post contains two totally different subjects ? Or is he talking about the same thing and how Uptone has solved the same problem iFi has ?

Is the only purpose of the uspcb to have the option to isolate the Vbus power with a switch ?

(And being a A>B adapter)

If so why can't a simple Sbooster Vbus isolator serve the same purpose. (+ a USB cable A>B)

And what is the reason for not offering a Vbus switch integrated to the ISO regen.

The uspcb is offering something more than just optimal remove the Vbus power and being a A>B converter, and if so, why is not this something integrated into the ISO regen?

Is my understanding correct, that the uspcb will not be offered with the first batch of 200 ISO regen boards ?

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile