IGNORED

New Diana Krall album: Turn up the quiet - sample track available for streaming

Just noticed that a single track of Krall's new album (I believe due in May) is available in the Qobuz streaming new releases.

Just listening to it. Suprisingly, this is Krall back to the roots, which I very much appreciate, as I wasn't a fan of most of her releases.

The track, Night and Day, is a nice ballad. The string arrangement around the jazz musicians is a bit borderline cheesy (and sometimes a bit on the wrong side of the border), but overall this is much more the Diana Krall I like:

http://www.qobuz.com/ch-de/album/turn-up-the-quiet-diana-krall/0060255746673

Let's see what the full album brings.

71TBajmP-4L._SL1200_.jpg

It is good to see the ideology of the "loudness wars" being promoted in the album's title.
Good point!

Yet her legs grab my attention more easily.

'Glad Rag Doll' was her departure from mainstream jazz album. IMO quite an interesting one. The album photos were let's say slightly braver than usually (if somebody doesn't recall them)

DIANA+KRALL+STOCKINGS+PIC.jpg

I think that was a try to reach a broader audience with her music. Seems that not a successful one. I think that just wasn't her thing and I also quite often had an impression while listening to this album she was told exactly what to do during the recording session - kind of not so glad rag doll..

I'm not a big fan - I prefer Cassandra Wilson - but DK's albums are simply awesome as far as SQ is concerned. Pure honey to the ears.

Wow..I forgot this one. Looks like the same photo session.

MAIN_DKral2_Credit_Mark_Seliger.PNG

• 2 weeks later...

I do love DK...been using Case of You from A Night In Paris as my test track for years....but what frustrates me a little....why no new material of her own songs....why are we still getting covers of other peoples work? Patricia Barber is streaks ahead for me.....

I do love DK...been using Case of You from A Night In Paris as my test track for years....but what frustrates me a little....why no new material of her own songs....why are we still getting covers of other peoples work? Patricia Barber is streaks ahead for me.....

Of course.

I love krall's timbre, but what annoys me is what she does with it: no variations, no excitement, just plain boring...imho.

Of course.

I love krall's timbre, but what annoys me is what she does with it: no variations, no excitement, just plain boring...imho.

Yep, IMO too she's stuck with her music development. If Miles Davis did the same at some point of his career we probably wouldn't have some jazz subgenres at all.. Well, obviously not everyone has to be MD..
  • 1 month later...

It's now out on Qobuz, streaming it now. 

It is really Diana Krall as from the early days, maybe a bit overproduced. 

Will I buy this? Too early to say. 

There is one song I really like though, is Dean Martin's classic Sway, way better than e.g. Michael Bublés cover.

2 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

The full album is out on TIDAL, listened to it earlier tonight.

So what's your verdict?

To me there is only one song I really like, Sway. If I were in the business of buying single tracks that would be the one. 

I guess I stick to streaming in this case. 

I bought my first Diana Krall CD after arriving to Paris the night Princess Diana died, it was first time I heard Diana (Krall) while shopping in huge Virgin Megastore on Champs-Élysées. I purchased her several albums afterwards, because of nostalgie, maybe. Not interested anymore.

• 2 months later...

I still like her (and her band), but I think she records that way on purpose, with her lips almost touching the mic. Bugs me, too. And she isn't the only one that does it. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

10 hours ago, One and a half said:

In a moment of weakness, downloaded the DSD from Acoustic Sounds. 

The opening track vocals are grating with sibilants. Can't listen anyone else hear the same?

Yes it a bit sibilant, I own the 24/192 and its a very good recording otherwise. Close mic'ed for sure. 

Holo Spring Kitsume Level 3, Singxer SU-1