IGNORED

Before I pull the trigger on SonicTransporter...

thyname

..... anything else that I should consider?

Looking for a headless machine to run Roon Core. Already have microRendu in one system, and Sonicorbiter in another one (with UpTone Regen).

Just getting the Sonictransporter without HDD, since I already have a NAS where my lossless music is located.

If your looking for a turn key device then the ST is probably the way to go but I am not sure how much RAM they offer. The Small Green Computer website fails to mention RAM on any of the ST models they offer...unless I'm blind and just missed it.

I went with a i5 Intel NUC. IMO, I think you can end up with a better system going the NUC route for only slightly more cash. I loaded mine up with 16GB of RAM, installed Ubuntu 16.04LTS for the ROON Core and installed a m2 Samsung PCIe SSD drive. Its a beast.

As an example, using ROON's new DSP feature with PEQ enabled my processing speed (as seen within Roon) is consistently well over 50x and at times over 200x depending on the material being played.

In other words, plenty of power.

If your looking for a turn key device then the ST is probably the way to go but I am not sure how much RAM they offer. The Small Green Computer website fails to mention RAM on any of the ST models they offer...unless I'm blind and just missed it.

I went with a i5 Intel NUC. IMO, I think you can end up with a better system going the NUC route for only slightly more cash. I loaded mine up with 16GB of RAM, installed Ubuntu 16.04LTS for the ROON Core and installed a m2 Samsung PCIe SSD drive. Its a beast.

As an example, using ROON's new DSP feature with PEQ enabled my processing speed (as seen within Roon) is consistently well over 50x and at times over 200x depending on the material being played.

Thanks! Although some stuff you mention is too technical for me.

What makes things more complicated is the upcoming release of ROCK.

Ahh..now I see what you meant. Well based on the link you provided it sounds like the INTEL NUC is the only piece of hardware they are focusing on at the moment for the software so this would suggest that a NUC would be a better choice for you then the ST.

Just getting the Sonictransporter without HDD, since I already have a NAS where my lossless music is located.

You can't get a SonicTransporter i5 (new) without a SSD. Nor can you add one your self either. The SonicTransporter i5 only consist of one SSD. (Always).

Is it the standard hardware used in the i5 you like to pay extra money for, or is it the SonicOrbiter SW that you're after ?

Have you tried install Roon on your NAS? If it's a Qnap or Synology.

Now this is interesting, and would you consider test HQPlayer on that HW ?

I would like to find out Linux HW requirements for HQPlayer, as I expect them to be less than in a windows environment.

You can't get a SonicTransporter i5 (new) without a SSD. Nor can you add one your self either. The SonicTransporter i5 only consist of one SSD. (Always).

Is it the that standard hardware used in the i5 you like to pay extra money for, or is it the SonicOrbiter SW that you're after ?

Have you tried install Roon on your NAS? If it's a Qnap or Synology.

I only need the regular sonictransporter and not the i5. My library is about 7,000 tracks, and don't see it ever going to more than 10,000, as I use Tidal Hifi.

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/pages/what-do-i-need

Ahh..now I see what you meant. Well based on the link you provided it sounds like the INTEL NUC is the only piece of hardware they are focusing on at the moment for the software so this would suggest that a NUC would be a better choice for you then the ST.

Just to confuse you even more:

http://www.audiostream.com/content/intel-nuc-sonictransporter-tale-two-mini-computers-running-roon-core#QvW6QEyO500jrcrO.97

I have a SonicTransporter i5 and a Qnap.

Again. What NAS do you have ?

https://blog.rieke.tv/roon-server-on-nas/

And what is max rate your DAC can accept?

How do you do Roon today ?

I can remember the model number of my WD NAS, but I know for sure cannot act as Roon Core. I looked into this in details.

Here is how Roon functions in my setup:

Roon Core is in a PC (Windows 8, 16 MB of RAM, i7). My music is in both NAS and PC. Currently only using the PC for the Roon to pull.

Setup #1 - Headphones only

Audeze Deckard DAC/Amp combo with Sonicorbiter and UpTone Regen

Setup #2 - Also Headphones only

Schiit Bifrost DAC, Airist Heron 5 Amp and microRENDU

Setup #3 - Home audio. Player is Bluesound Node 2

Neither one of my headphones DACs do DSD I believe, and also I don't have any DSD files. Just my ripped CDs in 44.1 / 16 bit, and streaming Tidal HiFi tier.

You know it's still possible to get the free W10 upgrade .....

So you probably won't need much horsepower, and you haven't planned for HQPlayer, which in any case your PC can run.

If you don't mind get "married" with Andrews's private little project named SonicOrbiter, the i5 is just fine.

The ROCK may guarantee you better support, and more HW choices.

If you're lucky, the i5 maybe can do ROCK [emoji3]

(Exchange the SSD)

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

OK. It makes sense for going with NUC because of compatibility with ROCK.

Apart from the suggested NUC6i5SYH, what else do I need to buy?

SSD for ROCK, HDD for storing my music files?

Yes, NUC need memory and SSD, if you like to you can add a better PS.

Why purchase storage ? Did you not already have a NAS ?

If not, yes the biggest SSD you can afford, or one that can contain all your music. And then you may purchase a USB interface for it.

If you have time to wait with a purchase, it may be a good idea. Seems to happen a lot.

And you do not have to give up the i5. Why not ask Andrew to do you a custom built ?

Starting with a huge discount :)

The SonicTransporter HW does not necessary be so different from an Intel NUC, meaning you may be able to use ROCK. This is something Andrew should be able to tell you.

He should be able to tell HW differences based on Linux requirements, but he can't tell you that ROCK will work. He should also be able to tell you if the SonicTransporter has some custom modifications in order to raise SQ. (If so, John Swenson most likely is the one done the design, as he did with the MicroRendu).

If he is willing to tell you is a totally other issue :)

All this may favor a possible SMG purchase. And you get something working right out of the box.

And you have to verify if the NUC has a fan as well, or decide if you can accept a fan.

I guess SMG may like to offer a new version of the i5 with bridged network as the i7 has, as well use of a PCIe slot for SSD for the OS.

If SGC want, (and you request), they can modify the SonicOrbiter to support bridged network by using available USB interface on the i5.

Her is the link to still upgrade your W8 for free.

Yes, NUC need memory and SSD, if you like to you can add a better PS.

Why purchase storage ? Did you not already have a NAS ?

If not, yes the biggest SSD you can afford, or one that can contain all your music. And then you may purchase a USB interface for it.

If you have time to wait with a purchase, it may be a good idea. Seems to happen a lot.

And you do not have to give up the i5. Why not ask Andrew to do you a custom built ?

The SonicTransporter HW does not necessary be so different from an Intel NUC, meaning you may be able to use ROCK. This is something Andrew should be able to tell you.

He should be able to tell HW differences based on Linux requirements, but he can't tell you that ROCK will work. He should also be able to tell you if the SonicTransporter has some custom modifications in order to raise SQ. (If so, John Swenson most likely is the one done the design, as he did with the MicroRendu).

If he is willing to tell you is a totally other issue :)

All this may favor a possible SMG purchase. And you get something working right out of the box.

And you have to verify if the NUC has a fan as well, or decide if you can accept a fan.

I guess SMG may like to offer a new version of the i5 with bridged network as the i7 has, as well use of a PCIe slot for SSD for the OS.

If SGC want, (and you request), they can modify the SonicOrbiter to support bridged network by using available USB interface on the i5.

Her is the link to still upgrade your W8 for free.

Thanks. Great info!

I decided to wait. Here is why:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/rock-hardware-primer/21756

Until all the "dust" settles down...

I asked Andrew directly via PM on another forum (Roon Community).

Unfortunately for me, he would not budge on price. Not a single dime below what's on the website

• 3 weeks later...

I tried the NAS version of Roon Core (added memory and small External SSD), and my NAS is a bit slow for a 500 gig music library.

When I looked at NUCs, I ended up with the i5 version of:

https://www.quietpc.com/sys-ultranuc-pro-6-fanless

With a linear PS.

I would rather wrestle with Win10, and have options to play with over time. Although I came very close to giving in to the SonicTransporter, and just not having to mess with the thing.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys