IGNORED

USB microphone cable for measurement too long, what can I do ?

Kafy

Hi everybody,

I am using Dirac Live to my audio system.

I need a 5m (16ft) USB cable to connect my PC (Mac mini) to the microphone (UMIK-1) to make the measurements.

I know 5 m (16ft) is the USB limit.

I have no issue and am able to make the measurements correctly.

But I am not sure the UMIK-1 is powered correctly from the PC because of the 5m USB cable and I am not sure the datas are correctly exchanged between the PC and the UMIK.

I have asked to the DIRAC support team if there is any data integrity control during the measurement and the answer is :

"

DLCT tries to understand if it receives corrupt data and in that case it will return an error message... if a measurement is accepted it should be OK.

A USB active cable is anyhow suggested when a long one has to be used.

"

Do you think the 5 m (16ft) cable is something I should be careful of ?

If yes, I am thinking to three options :

Option 1 :

Use an active USB cable.

This should be the cheapest option but I am not sure what the USB active cable does.

Does it re-generate the datas ? or does it only replace the USB power from the USB source with the external USB power ?

I don't think this kind of cable re-generate the datas like a USB hub.

Option 2 :

Use a USB HUB with an external power supply.

It is not expensive, the HUB will re-generate the datas.

I will still use the standard USB 5V from the HUB to power the UMIK.

Option 3 :

This is the rich option.

Use a UPTONE REGEN between the PC and the UMIK to regenerate the datas and to power the UMIK with the good 5v the REGEN is able to deliver.

It is maybe the best solution technically but it may be this is too much for this issue.

Does any one have experimented and can give some technical information to help me to decide which one to go ?

Of may be an other option ?

Thank you far any help.

Capture d’écran 2017-02-23 à 18.06.38.png

Hello,

It seems my questions don't have a lot of success :-)

After some research I think I am going for a USB Hub with an external linear power supply.

If anyone have any informations I am still open to any advice.

You could use an active USB extender like those at Monoprice. They do reduce slightly the voltage at the other end. I haven't found it to prevent any USB powered devices from working properly for one of those. You can daisy chain two of them and transfer data over USB without problems though at that point USB powered devices do usually begin having issues.

The Monoprice extenders are very inexpensive. I would try that and if you get trouble your idea of a powered hub will of course work just fine as well.

I have a UMIK1 and just tried it with the 32 foot extension like the one linked below and it worked just fine. Measurements were the same as using the short cable.

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-32-Feet-Female-Extension-Repeater/dp/B004HJDUW0/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1488490779&sr=8-9&keywords=monoprice+usb+extension+cable

If you aren't getting errors I don't think you have a problem. Even the 16 foot cable you have isn't causing a huge voltage loss powering the UMIK1.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I have no issue when I use the UMIK with my actual 16ft cable but as it is the USB limit and as the UMIK is powered by USB power it could have some issue.

And Dirac Live is not using a data integrity software control but just an "estimation" so we are not able to be sure the datas are correct.

See the reply from Dirac :

"

DLCT tries to understand if it receives corrupt data and in that case it will return an error message... if a measurement is accepted it should be OK.

"

But I think I am maybe thinking too much and there is certainly no problem.

I have no issue when I use the UMIK with my actual 16ft cable but as it is the USB limit and as the UMIK is powered by USB power it could have some issue.

And Dirac Live is not using a data integrity software control but just an "estimation" so we are not able to be sure the datas are correct.

See the reply from Dirac :

"

"

But I think I am maybe thinking too much and there is certainly no problem.

I think you are overthinking this whole issue, setting up "mind game" solutions to possible theoretical problems which could occur, but which are unlikely to, especially undetected. But, that is, of course, a familiar pattern in computer audio. You are not alone in spinning your wheels solving problems you do not have except in your mind.

Incidentally, my PC is in the next room. I use a 5 meter USB cable of undistinguished provenance (mid grade, nothing special, $50 Pangea from Audio Advisor) for my normal PC to DAC connection. That absolutely sounds terrific into my Exasound DAC, no Regen, etc. I tried some of those.

For Dirac mike calibration, I use an active powered 39 foot USB2 cable I bought very cheaply at a local computer store. It works just fine. Otherwise, it is used to power the USB receiver dongle for my wireless keyboard in my listening room, eliminating communications issues with the PC in the next room. I see no reason whatsoever to even suspect that my mike calibration with this USB cable is erroneous in any way.

Good luck.

• 2 months later...

iFi iPurifier 2 :) 

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

• 11 months later...

Will try this. Thank's

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.