IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

Could be, but good that it got spotted early on. Of course timing variations shouldn't mess up things...

I uploaded build a16 with some serious state management rework, I hope the problem is now gone...

P.S. I will land the same fixes to Desktop 3.15.2 too, if things seem to work for a16.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I uploaded build a16 with some serious state management rework, I hope the problem is now gone...

I've narrowed this timing thing down to switching from Tidal > Tidal albums.

With a16, in all other cases, triggering a new album while another is playing works as expected.

But if the album playing is a Tidal stream and the new album is a Tidal stream, the "Already Running" error is reproduced virtually every time, on my setup anyways.

But if the album playing is a Tidal stream and the new album is a Tidal stream, the "Already Running" error is reproduced virtually every time, on my setup anyways.

Can you email me a full session logfile snippet when this happens?

Edit: I tried again, both with a Tidal playlist (at least with Roon stream changes for every playlist item) and switching from album to another and I don't manage to reproduce this... :(

Interesting. Switching between Tidal's proprietary playlists also seems fine here, as well as playing a single Tidal track while a Tidal album is already playing.

It seems only possible to trigger if playing an album while what is currently playing is also a Tidal album started via "Play Album". And even though I was able to reproduce on the first try for the logs I sent, I find it only happening rarely now vs almost every time with a15.

I will just continue to use normally and report back. I fully admit that sometimes when jumping around a bunch to test something one can create conditions that would not come up in regular use.

Edit: I tried some faster initializing filters and some PCM modes just to rule out a performance issue and was still able to reproduce.

Piero just put a17 on the AUR. I will switch from Win10 back to AudioLinux and install it. Jussi, where does a17 fall in relation to the version numbering on Windows HQPlayer desktop (like 3.5.1)?

Piero just put a17 on the AUR. I will switch from Win10 back to AudioLinux and install it. Jussi, where does a17 fall in relation to the version numbering on Windows HQPlayer desktop (like 3.5.1)?

I've been rebuilding the a17 the entire day (12 hours now) trying to nail down the timing bug. I hope I now finally fixed it and just re-uploaded a17. So better check what you have matches the one on the web server.

The 4.x series of Embedded is quite different beast from the 3.x Desktop and growing further away all the time. But I port fixes I do both ways between the two. So fix-wise it corresponds to the to-be-released 3.15.2, and also most DSP code version is the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone out there listening to a19? Hopefully not jumping the gun to install it, I seem to have a sixth sense for when an update is available :) So far everything is working pretty smoothly with Roon and a Cubox i4pro NAA running 3.5. None of the showstoppers like playback stalling;  the only issue that reappeared  for me is the slight post-pause echo of whatever was playing.  Wish I could recall what version cleared that up. I recall there was at least one other person who was experiencing the same. 

5 minutes ago, arglebargle said:

Anyone out there listening to a19? Hopefully not jumping the gun to install it, I seem to have a sixth sense for when an update is available :) So far everything is working pretty smoothly with Roon and a Cubox i4pro NAA running 3.5. None of the showstoppers like playback stalling;  the only issue that reappeared  for me is the slight post-pause echo of whatever was playing.  Wish I could recall what version cleared that up. I recall there was at least one other person who was experiencing the same. 

I managed to get that happen once yesterday and I hoped I nailed it in a19 because I didn't get it anymore in the final build... Happened on Pause -> Stop transition.

Just a tip in case it helps anyone out there: despite the targets being correct for the systemd unit, one of my machines somehow has a mistaken idea about what constitutes the network being "up" so hqplayerd fails to start on boot—too many retries. Adding RestartSec=5 to the unit file prevents this, and hqplayerd starts without manual intervention. Even two seconds would probably do, ymmv. 

3 hours ago, arglebargle said:

Just a tip in case it helps anyone out there: despite the targets being correct for the systemd unit, one of my machines somehow has a mistaken idea about what constitutes the network being "up" so hqplayerd fails to start on boot—too many retries. Adding RestartSec=5 to the unit file prevents this, and hqplayerd starts without manual intervention. Even two seconds would probably do, ymmv. 

OK thanks! Usually the problem happens when DHCP is used, because sometimes DHCP servers are slow to respond and annoyingly systemd doesn't wait for those to really come up, even with network-online.target...

I'm configuring network with static IP using /etc/network/interfaces file so it comes up fast.

I'll add two seconds setting to the service file, there is not much point in spinning the restart loop faster than that.

1 minute ago, Miska said:

OK thanks! Usually the problem happens when DHCP is used, because sometimes DHCP servers are slow to respond and annoyingly systemd doesn't wait for those to really come up, even with network-online.target...

I'm configuring network with static IP using /etc/network/interfaces file so it comes up fast.

I'll add two seconds setting to the service file, there is not much point in spinning the restart loop faster than that.

That's great, thanks. No need to even log in and less than 25 processes to run roon + embedded!  Now that all that parts of my system are basically stable, having set up my new cubox NAA, I should really set up static IPs myself. I ended up using an Arch Linux Arm img, as I used Arch for years and it was the fastest way to get a very recent kernel. Working great with the 3.5.0 daemon. 

21 hours ago, arglebargle said:

That's great, thanks. No need to even log in and less than 25 processes to run roon + embedded!

Have you guys finally made a web interface for HQPlayer embedded or have I totally misunderstood what's going on ?

Another question: Has anyone made a Docker version of HQPlayer ?

If so will this most likely have to be Miska, and will such an approach, only create more maintenance problems/work ?

(Don't ask me why I want Docker ?, you may tell me why not)  

14 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

[...] a web interface for HQPlayer embedded or have I totally misunderstood what's going on ?

He has, it runs at localhost:8088 when you start Embedded. This is what it looks like right now. What other features may be planned for the future I have no idea.  As it is, being able to change filters on the fly is pretty great. Combined with roon there is little need to visit the other room where my HQPlayer machine lives. 

2017-03-24-122130_1920x1080_scrot.png

8 minutes ago, arglebargle said:

He has, it runs at localhost:8088 when you start Embedded. This is what it looks like right now. What other features may be planned for the future I have no idea.  As it is, being able to change filters on the fly is pretty great. Combined with roon there is little need to visit the other room where my HQPlayer machine lives. 

WOW. Great ?

As long as you can set settings similar to the settings menu in windows it should be what I've been looking for. 

Seem a few settings is missing. I would expect it's just a matter of time. 

Now I can finally plan for a Linux HQPlayer only headless built. 

(I'm only doing PCM). 

Wow, Deepak, nice work!!  Although I am using Win 10, and trying AudioLinux (infrequently currently cuz I can't get HQP embedded to work; to not have the "gave up in 5 tries" message) this guide makes me think seriously about a full Debian install once I know a little more.  Thx

Thanks @shadowlight. A suggestion for the section on configuration would be a reference to the readme at /usr/share/doc/hqplayerd or even a table showing the bit about what # corresponds to which filter / modulator in hqplayerd.xml. Of course, that's what the readme is for, but it's nice to have on hand. Doubly helpful would be translating the technical names of the filters from the readme to the familiar names in Desktop.

In my opinion it's definitely worth the effort to get something like Debian or Ubuntu LTS for playback. Once you're set up, the  almost total lack of maintenance required, at least compared to Arch Linux, is liberating. 

5 hours ago, shadowlight said:

If you would like a complete turn key solution the AudioLinux distribution is what you want to get.

Threre is a guy in another thread ( @bozrdang) using Docker and unRAID NAS SW. He succeeded install Roon this way. 

If I understand Docker, it's also some sort of turn key, as like a image or VM you can install, and then access headless. 

Will, or can HQPlayer run as/in Docker ? Or does that mean someone has to do a lot of work, and in addition do maintenance everytime HQPlayer is updated in a new revision ?

6 hours ago, shadowlight said:

Recently, I have been trying various things with HQPlayer Embedded and was keeping track of how I was installing the OS and HQPlayer Embedded.  Since, I was keeping track of everything, I converted the steps into a installation guide for HQPlayer Embedded under Debian/Ubuntu.  The guide also has configuration information on how to configure JRiver as controller.  The goal of the guide is to keep it updated and to start including common errors and resolution.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2cLWlF9cpc9MkQxTTVDdHJTSEk/view?usp=sharing

If you would like a complete turn key solution the AudioLinux distribution is what you want to get.

Excellent stuff!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far.

@ted_b, let me know if you want to install Debian or Ubuntu in dual mode and I can walk you through it.  I believe you already partitioned the disk so we will just have to do the Linux install on the free partition.

@arglebargl, yes I can add the information when I update it next time.  The document was supposed to have information on how to install NAA also and I missed those steps.

@R1200CL, once the OS is installed, I am totally headless.  I do not know about docker solution but if you want to run it under vmware I can get you an image.

One of the thing that I want to do is write some scripts which will help you configure static ip address and install the needed packages with out anyone requiring to cut and paste commands.  I will also, see if I can pull a image so if folks want to use that image to over write their disk or use brand new disk they can do that.

Please, keep the comments coming on how to make the guide better.  I am especially interested in getting hold of any error messages that you have while running HQPlayer Embedded (startup error messages, missing error message for NAA, etc) so we can help each other resolve the issue quickly.