IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

23 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

@Miska I never noticed the tiny "Help" link in the top right hand corner, until now.

Can you move it to the bottom, alongside all the other HQPe links?

It's very useful reading but I never even noticed it there.

1759812052_ScreenShot2018-12-06at9_54_30pm.thumb.png.77f16055d72ecb71b9db71108f787a0f.png

It is per page help, so it is more logical separated from the global links that go between pages...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

35 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

So the worst that would ever happen (after a long duration) is a brief dropout in audio? (with DSD512)

Not a nasty loud pop? 

HQPlayer plays a bit of silence at that resync point. But I have not so far experienced it ever, so not something that gets tested a lot...

10 hours ago, Miska said:

HQPlayer plays a bit of silence at that resync point. But I have not so far experienced it ever, so not something that gets tested a lot...

Have you done any estimation how often it can happen using typical clock frequency variation data and FIFO sizes? Sounds like this is not something one should normally worry about but would be interesting to put some numbers on it.

28 minutes ago, gvl said:

Have you done any estimation how often it can happen using typical clock frequency variation data and FIFO sizes? Sounds like this is not something one should normally worry about but would be interesting to put some numbers on it.

If there's 1 Hz difference in sampling rate it should take a bit over 12 hours of non-stop playback before that happens.

On 11/24/2018 at 12:38 PM, shadowlight said:

Document updated to include options for updating the embedded package once a newer version is released.  I also added commands to update the OS packages if someone wants to update in the future.  I run the command once a month to make sure that I have the latest packages installed, especially security updates.

HQPlayer Embedded Install Guide v.0.7a.pdf

Hi shawdowlight & @Miska

I followed these instructions (page 10 of the guide) for updating to the new version of HQPe but I get this error:

1451413337_ScreenShot2018-12-07at12_38_54pm.thumb.png.cee77c67ec91305d9b596749f0427486.png

Are there any other steps I should do before  "dpkg -i hqplayerd_4.7.0-22_amd64.deb" ?

Just now, shadowlight said:

I normally stop the service, remove the old package before I install the new one and you are still likely to get those messages :)

Thanks shadowlight - that's what I did too, per your PDF guide.

1 minute ago, shadowlight said:

Those are normal error messages especially if you had previous version installed and can be safely ignored.

Thanks shadowlight & @arglebargle !

I am glad the guide is coming in handy for folks.  Keep sending in feedback if you find something is not clear or would like to see some improvements.

Here are somethings that I want to add to the guide, feel free to add your wish on things that you would like to see in the guide and I will keep track off it.

1. Usage of BubbleUPnP (Android) and mConnect (iOS) to send Tidal/Qobuz to HQPe.  I will add Qobuz information once Qobuz is officially release in US.  I do not have access to Tidal so I can only show the screen shot for entering Tidal account information.
  2. Add information on how to get CUDA working under Ubuntu (this one is going to take awhile to document.  I have been spending time listening instead of tweaking :D)
7 hours ago, Miska said:

It is 2:37am here and I'm at the moment listening Genesis - Foxtrot 5.1 channel version using headphones and 5.1 processed through 3D audio with virtual speakers placed at optimal positions. Sounds quite nice to me.

9 minutes ago, Miska said:

HQPlayer of course... :)

What is this!

Are you developing/testing something cool for HQPe, for those like me that mainly use headphones? 

6 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Hi shawdowlight & @Miska

I followed these instructions (page 10 of the guide) for updating to the new version of HQPe but I get this error:

1451413337_ScreenShot2018-12-07at12_38_54pm.thumb.png.cee77c67ec91305d9b596749f0427486.png

Are there any other steps I should do before  "dpkg -i hqplayerd_4.7.0-22_amd64.deb" ?

This is completely normal, no need to worry!

6 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

What is this!

Are you developing/testing something cool for HQPe, for those like me that mainly use headphones? 

You can actually set things up this way already in current versions, but it is a bit complex procedure. So I may make it easier to do. I think I'll add it at the same time I'll add possibility for switching between different presets.

Just now, Miska said:

You can actually set things up this way already in current versions, but it is a bit complex procedure. So I may make it easier to do. I think I'll add it at the same time I'll add possibility for switching between different presets.

Nice ?

56 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

DoP64 --> Pi2Design 502DAC Toslink Output --> miniDSP USBstreamer --> HQPe

Works fine. Passes the bit perfect test?

984218886_ScreenShot2018-12-07at7_09_01pm.thumb.png.8ea90128f35e8fb2dca29db377126dfc.png

1892098697_ScreenShot2018-12-07at7_19_18pm.thumb.png.95c1adab431107fd570c760da0e57d58.png

Hmmh, it should show 2.8MHz sampling rate in the status. Are you sure A+ is not doing PCM conversion on the way instead of sending DoP?

21 minutes ago, Miska said:

Hmmh, it should show 2.8MHz sampling rate in the status. Are you sure A+ is not doing PCM conversion on the way instead of sending DoP?

Interesting... 100% A+ has all conversions switched off. To test it:

Using same A+ settings , I play the DoP64 to USBstreamer (USB-to-TOSlink conversion) to iDSD DAC and DAC display shows 2.8MHz - so A+ settings are fine.

So something not right. 

The 502DAC also plays DoP64 via it's TOSlink output fine - DAC again shows 2.8MHz on DAC display.

Maybe the USBstreamer in 'reverse' (TOSlink input to USB output) isn't bit perfect then? That would be strange to be bitperfect in one direction but non bitperfect in the other direction?

11 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Interesting... 100% A+ has all conversions switched off. To test it:

Using same A+ settings , I play the DoP64 to USBstreamer (USB-to-TOSlink conversion) to iDSD DAC and DAC display shows 2.8MHz - so A+ settings are fine.

So something not right. 

The 502DAC also plays DoP64 via it's TOSlink output fine - DAC again shows 2.8MHz on DAC display.

Maybe the USBstreamer in 'reverse' (TOSlink input to USB output) isn't bit perfect then? That would be strange to be bitperfect in one direction but non bitperfect in the other direction?

If it messes bit-perfect for DoP, you don't get sound but either quiet hiss or otherwise messed up sound instead. So you cannot get mistaken if DSD is messed up.

Did you reload the front page after you started playing DoP?

Here's an example of DSD256 input from RME ADI-2 Pro:

Screenshot_2018-12-07_12-04-51.thumb.png.30da495973106bc3b1a344aab8c6934d.png

18 minutes ago, Miska said:

If it messes bit-perfect for DoP, you don't get sound but either quiet hiss or otherwise messed up sound instead. So you cannot get mistaken if DSD is messed up.

Did you reload the front page after you started playing DoP?

Here's an example of DSD256 input from RME ADI-2 Pro:

Screenshot_2018-12-07_12-04-51.thumb.png.30da495973106bc3b1a344aab8c6934d.png

I'll try again, with Roon too this time. At least Roon is more transparent with the signal chain.

With Moode Audio on the 502DAC TOSlink output, I enabled Moode's Airplay renderer (shairport-sync).

Currently playing Apple Music (trial) on Macbook --> Airplay --> Moode & 502DAC TOSlink output --> USBstreamer --> HQPe DSD512 up-sampling

Sounds nice.

But I'm not 100% sure if shairport-sync may be doing anything dodgy with Airplay along the way.

Similar solution to an Airport Express's TOSlink output I guess but I believe that's gone out of production now.

8 hours ago, Em2016 said:

But I'm not 100% sure if shairport-sync may be doing anything dodgy with Airplay along the way.

Unlikely, unless you've synchronised another Airplay device or have a particularly dodgy WiFi connection. Shairport-sync's developer is quite clear as to when "stuffing" (audio frame insertion/deletion or even resampling) can occour:

https://github.com/mikebrady/shairport-sync

Wish Apple were just as transparent!

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

With a little bit of hacking, one could make shairport play straight to HQPE input using ALSA loopback device...

But overall, I've been quite happy with Chromecast Audio through optical link, because it is generally well supported from both Android and iOS apps like Spotify and Tidal. And rest works through UPnP, so I don't feel like missing anything.

4 minutes ago, Miska said:

With a little bit of hacking, one could make shairport play straight to HQPE input using ALSA loopback device...

But overall, I've been quite happy with Chromecast Audio through optical link, because it is generally well supported from both Android and iOS apps like Spotify and Tidal. And rest works through UPnP, so I don't feel like missing anything.

Yes! If Moode Audio can do it (and DietPi and others of course) I'm sure you could too.

Has anyone hacked Chromecast for Linux (with 24/96 support) yet? I'm guessing no, otherwise I'd see it pop up on Moode, DietPi etc etc.

Do you guys think a Chromecast hack (similar to shairport) will eventually come to Linux? 

15 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Do you guys think a Chromecast hack (similar to shairport) will eventually come to Linux? 

There are probably some crypto keys embedded inside the hardware that make it tricky. If Google has been competent enough on that, it is not easy to extract those. And I'm not sure if people have enough motivation to do it, given price of the CCA dongle...