IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

6 minutes ago, acatala said:

At the first glance, there is an obvious difference: Up Board costs $189 and ultraRendu costs $875. Besides, I have not an oscilloscope in my ears. I am having a hard time to justify the difference in price.

Two things:

1. I didn’t ask you the question...and I doubt have you listened to both yourself.

2. If there is a sound quality difference in favor of the ultraRendu the cost difference doesn’t matter to me. 

9 hours ago, Em2016 said:

I may try wireless (via USB adapter) this weekend, just out of curiosity. I'm running DietPi x86_64 version on my Up Board Gateway (installed on the internal eMMC but boots to ramdisk) and it may allow USB-WiFi adapter. I'll find out.

Please, share your wireless tests with us when you have the results. My wireless test with the Raspberry Pi 3+ has been fine, I just need to test how reliable it is.

Of course for simple wired connection, you can use Jussi's USB bootable images (either the standalone NAA image or HQPe image works fine as NAA too).

You talk about a USB bootable image, I guess you are installing the NAA or HQPlayer Embedded (unlicensed) + NAA in a USB memory and then boot from it without using the eMMC drive. I guess that as an alternative a Debian Linux can be installed in eMMC drive and after that install the networkd software, right?

Just now, acatala said:

Please, share your wireless tests with us when you have the results. My wireless test with the Raspberry Pi 3+ has been fine, I just need to test how reliable it is.

I tried my Asus  USB-AC56 (Realtek RTL8812AU driver) and I couldn't get it to work in DietPi x86_64. So I gave up. There is a better chance Jussi @Miskacould get the official WiFi connection with Up Board Gateway to work with correct driver in  his USB bootable images. As mentioned before though, I don't have the WiFi connection setup with my Up Board Gateway.

Or it's possible Jussi could add the RTL8812AU Linux driver to his bootable images? I could test here.

I had that RTL8812AU driver added to DietPi for Allo USBridge/Sparky manually by Allo and it worked great when I had USBridge (5GHz AC). But it doesn't work with DietPi x86_64 and DietPi won't do custom patches for that, so that's a dead end.

6 minutes ago, acatala said:

You talk about a USB bootable image, I guess you are installing the NAA or HQPlayer Embedded (unlicensed) + NAA in a USB memory and then boot from it without using the eMMC drive. I guess that as an alternative a Debian Linux can be installed in eMMC drive and after that isntall the networkd software, right?

I'm using DietPi, which installs to the eMMC card. I run NAA on DietPi, which loads to ramdisk.

But yes for sure, the alternative is to run  Jussi's USB bootable NAA image or HQPlayer Embedded (unlicensed runs as NAA) image . Jussi's bootable images don't make use of the Up Board Gateway internal eMMC storage.

24 minutes ago, Miska said:

You could dump the images on eMMC too, but it is a bit extra effort. You'd need to have a copy of the image on some bootable USB storage along with some Linux installation. Then you could use either bmaptool (a bit faster) or dd (a bit slower) to dump it to the eMMC. I have not done much testing of such approach, but it should work.

There was no difference in SQ when running DietPi/NAA on eMMC (which then boot to ramdisk) vs USB bootable image... to my ears anyway. Same with NAA ramroot image (again, to my ears).

So to be honest I should just use the USB bootable NAA image. The only reason I use DietPi x86_64 is to have RoonBridge and UPnP renderer support alongside NAA, but it makes no sense really since HQPe deals with both of those anyway..

But @acatala you can try it all and report back.

Need a bit of hand-holding in setting up Edirol UA-1EX as input for HQPE. Doesn't seem to work out of the box, trying to set Input to [email protected] via the web-interface results in:

2018/11/29 20:51:21 Close previous transport
& 2018/11/29 20:51:21 Set transport (5): USB @44.1k
  2018/11/29 20:51:21 	found matching input: USB @44.1k
  2018/11/29 20:51:21 	run input switch script: start-uac-gadget.sh 44100 (256)
  2018/11/29 20:51:21 Audio transport: rate=44100 channels=2 format=pcm buffer=100
  2018/11/29 20:51:21 Set channels: 2 (2)
  2018/11/29 20:51:21 ALSA input device: hw:CARD=UAC2Gadget,DEV=0
# 2018/11/29 20:51:21 ALSA snd_hctl_open() failed: No such device
# 2018/11/29 20:51:21 ALSA snd_mixer_attach() failed: No such device
# 2018/11/29 20:51:21 clReadAudio::Open(): clALSAEngine::Initialize(): snd_pcm_open(): No such device
& 2018/11/29 20:51:21 Play
# 2018/11/29 20:51:21 clPlayerDaemon::SwitchInput(): clHQPlayerEngine::Play(): Transport == NULL

It appears ALSA should support the device per:

https://alsa.opensrc.org/Edirol_UA-1EX

Any ideas?

2 hours ago, gvl said:

Need a bit of hand-holding in setting up Edirol UA-1EX as input for HQPE. Doesn't seem to work out of the box, trying to set Input to [email protected] via the web-interface results in:

2018/11/29 20:51:21 Close previous transport
& 2018/11/29 20:51:21 Set transport (5): USB @44.1k
  2018/11/29 20:51:21 	found matching input: USB @44.1k
  2018/11/29 20:51:21 	run input switch script: start-uac-gadget.sh 44100 (256)
  2018/11/29 20:51:21 Audio transport: rate=44100 channels=2 format=pcm buffer=100
  2018/11/29 20:51:21 Set channels: 2 (2)
  2018/11/29 20:51:21 ALSA input device: hw:CARD=UAC2Gadget,DEV=0
# 2018/11/29 20:51:21 ALSA snd_hctl_open() failed: No such device
# 2018/11/29 20:51:21 ALSA snd_mixer_attach() failed: No such device
# 2018/11/29 20:51:21 clReadAudio::Open(): clALSAEngine::Initialize(): snd_pcm_open(): No such device
& 2018/11/29 20:51:21 Play
# 2018/11/29 20:51:21 clPlayerDaemon::SwitchInput(): clHQPlayerEngine::Play(): Transport == NULL

It appears ALSA should support the device per:

https://alsa.opensrc.org/Edirol_UA-1EX

Any ideas?

The input you are trying to select is one that is for making your Linux box appear like a USB DAC, IOW device mode.

You need to manually edit the configuration file to have correct <input> element(s) for your audio interface. The ones that are there already serve as good example. You can remove the script part though. You get pretty much started by just putting correct card id to the "CARD=xxx" item where xxx is the short name you can find from "arecord -l" output.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

51 minutes ago, Miska said:

The input you are trying to select is one that is for making your Linux box appear like a USB DAC, IOW device mode.

You need to manually edit the configuration file to have correct <input> element(s) for your audio interface. The ones that are there already serve as good example. You can remove the script part though. You get pretty much started by just putting correct card id to the "CARD=xxx" item where xxx is the short name you can find from "arecord -l" output.

Pardon my ignorance, which configuration file would that be?

2 hours ago, gvl said:

I got it going, thanks. Question about HQPE license, is it permanently bound to hardware? What if hardware dies, does it mean I need to buy another license or it can be reassigned on a case by case basis?

For named licenses you get through my web site, you can get reassigned some reasonable (about 1 - 2) times per year. So should be OK for most normal cases.

If you get license with hardware, then the hardware vendor handles this.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

For named licenses you get through my web site, you can get reassigned some reasonable (about 1 - 2) times per year. So should be OK for most normal cases.

If you get license with hardware, then the hardware vendor handles this.

Got it, thanks. Stupid question, did anyone manage to successfully run HQPE on VirtualBox or the like on a Windows host out to a USB DAC?

Hi Jussi @Miska

When I run "top" command in Debian, and I see hqplayerd CPU usage ~280%.

This is quad core (NUC7i7DNHE, i7-8650U).

Does that 280% number for hqplayerd mean average CPU core loading is 280/4 = 70% each physical core?

And is that 70% average CPU core loading generally safe, for stable HQPe performance?

This is up-sampling to DSD512 poly-sinc-short-mp-2s in fanless Akasa case...

1957940129_ScreenShot2018-11-30at8_00_55pm.thumb.png.2f1185646c86efa93957be91f3aec7d7.png

2033515140_ScreenShot2018-11-30at8_08_27pm.thumb.png.b0185e7d9b92d7e5c67de95b2a61488f.png

3 minutes ago, diecaster said:

Each core of the cpu has up to 100% to give to the total usage.  280% of a 4 core cpu could be any combination of usage that adds up to 280%. 

Try this command to see what each core is doing:

mpstat -P ALL 5

Cool thanks, so average is indeed 280/4 = 70%?

Will run that command when I get home and report back

20 minutes ago, diecaster said:

Some implementations of “top” will show more cpu info if you type “1” while top is running.

Typed 1 and observed for a couple minutes. Max was 73%.

CPU temps look good in the Akasa Plato X7D case. It's been running for a couple hours while I was away. So it looks like I did a half decent job putting it into the fanless case.

If someone is happy with the poly-sinc-short-2s filter (sounds great) the NUC7i7DNHE can do DSD512 nicely!  This is running Roon Server on the same machine too.

I have to admit I'm surprised. Didn't think this model NUC would do it and quite safely too (I think... will wait for Jussi to confirm these look like safe numbers for reliable performance).

New test with Raspberry Pi 3 B+ with DietPi and NAA, using the wireless interface.

I have set the Buffer Time parameter to 50 ms and 100 ms. In both cases, the sound was fine with no artifacts. I also powered the Raspberry Pi 3B+ from a USB power bank instead of AC supply.

As in previous tests, the stream was DSD128, with poly-sinc-xtr-mp-2s filter and ASDM7 modulator.

Another stupid question, how hard of a requirement is the SSE4.2 support for HQPE? Is it only needed for specific filters or HQ won't run at all? I have a E6500-based vintage small factor PC laying around, it should technically be beefy enough to run PCM filters but it doesn't have SSE4.2.

On 12/1/2018 at 5:42 PM, guiltyboxswapper said:

@Miska is an older version of HQPlayer NAA compatible with the latest version of HQPlayer Embedded?  Ideally I need to obtain an deb package for NAA that's compatible on Jessie (!).  

Jessie is quite outdated, why not use Stretch instead which is current -stable release?

But yes, there's backwards compatibility to older NAA versions, so it should work. I don't really test old versions anymore, but possibly I have not broken the compatibility either.