IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

2 hours ago, acatala said:

Linux and macOS boxes use DoP when streaming DSD to a DAC. Is there a upper limit when using DoP (DSD128, DSD256, DSD512, etc.) or on the other hand does it depend on the DAC device?

I answer my self this question: It depends on the DAC device.

22 hours ago, Miska said:

But overall, this discussion shows exactly why I want to keep doing my HQPlayer OS images. I don't mind other people doing different way either. I just personally feel that I know what I'm doing after having been working on embedded systems for a long time.

We know you know what you are doing :)

My HQPE runs with SSD and RAM and my NAA runs on SSD and RAM too and no fan.

If I am using your kernel on my own install vs your complete image? the power states, ACPI and everything else is the same "as your bootable image" correct? I know packages may differ and so on but the power states etc will remain the same?

56 minutes ago, acatala said:

Linux and macOS boxes use DoP when streaming DSD to a DAC.

I don't know about Macs but Linux have ALSA generic drivers and I was under the impression if the DAC supports PCM and DSD it will stream DSD directly to the DAC not DoP

If I am mistaken let me know 

10 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Are there complexities in adding a similar capability to Embedded in one way shape or form?

Yes, many, because Embedded needs some storage for storing it's settings and library data...

It loads extremely fast.  I pulled out the USB and everything functioned as expected.  SQ is great at first listen.

To me it sounds exactly the same, but it takes about 5x longer to boot up. But I don't mind if people are happy. There's also always the HQPlayer Embedded image which boots in normal way (and also contains NAA).

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Hi @Miska, just in case you missed it among other posts, I couldn't get the USB input to work with UpBoard running HQPe.

Am I doing something wrong, like does it need a special cable? Or a typical micro-B cable that works with USB 3.0 drives should be fine? Have you got it working?

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30983-hqplayer-linux-desktop-and-hqplayer-embedded/?do=findComment&comment=897954

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30983-hqplayer-linux-desktop-and-hqplayer-embedded/?do=findComment&comment=897960

17 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Hi @Miska, just in case you missed it among other posts, I couldn't get the USB input to work with UpBoard running HQPe.

Am I doing something wrong, like does it need a special cable? Or a typical micro-B cable that works with USB 3.0 drives should be fine? Have you got it working?

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30983-hqplayer-linux-desktop-and-hqplayer-embedded/?do=findComment&comment=897954

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30983-hqplayer-linux-desktop-and-hqplayer-embedded/?do=findComment&comment=897960

Those logs look correct and the input starts. Are you then playing something to the USB device?

27 minutes ago, Miska said:

Those logs look correct and the input starts. Are you then playing something to the USB device?

My Mac doesn't see the UpBoard - should I see it in my sound cards as if I had a USB DAC connected to the Mac?

Let me just check with you that I have the connections right.

So the UpBoard is connected to my Mac via micro-B USB3.0 cable. 

I looked in the UpBoard BIOS settings and there's 3 options for the USB 3.0 OTG connector : PCI and ACPI.  There's also Auto. Which is the correct option? For the log output I showed above it was for PCI, so I guess if the log looks ok then PCI is fine.

I was using a USB3.0 extension cable though with the short micro-B cable. I'll try and take the extension out of the chain and try again.

When I select USB 44.kHz on the HQPe Input page, the browser takes a while for it to complete it's selection (the Chrome anticlockise circle keeps spinning). It takes 2 minutes for the page to load. Is that normal? And I need to hit the "select" button a few times to see any activity. The first couple of times I hit the select button I don't see anything happening.

1337229235_ScreenShot2018-11-22at10_44_13am.thumb.png.72a8037c6a3971091979cfd11ac42477.png

Now I have no extension cable, just a short direct connection between UpBoard micro-B input to Mac.

Still have this log:

2018/11/21 23:48:32 Set transport (5): USB @44.1k
  2018/11/21 23:48:32 	found matching input: USB @44.1k
  2018/11/21 23:48:32 	run input switch script: start-uac-gadget.sh 44100 (0)
  2018/11/21 23:48:32 Audio transport: rate=44100 channels=2 format=pcm buffer=100
  2018/11/21 23:48:32 Set channels: 2 (2)
  2018/11/21 23:48:32 ALSA input device: hw:CARD=UAC2Gadget,DEV=0
  2018/11/21 23:48:32 ALSA input access mode: 3
  2018/11/21 23:48:32 ALSA input PCM format: S32_LE
  2018/11/21 23:48:32 ALSA input PCM bits: 32
  2018/11/21 23:48:32 ALSA input PCM physical width: 32
  2018/11/21 23:48:32 ALSA input PCM rates: 44100 - 44100
  2018/11/21 23:48:32 ALSA input DSD not supported
  2018/11/21 23:48:32 ALSA input rate available: 44100
+ 2018/11/21 23:48:32 ALSA input backend initialized
  2018/11/21 23:48:32 Set sampling rate: 44100 (44100)
& 2018/11/21 23:48:32 Play
+ 2018/11/21 23:48:32 Playback engine running
  2018/11/21 23:48:32 Rate or blocksize change triggered

My Mac still doesn't see UpBoard or USB DAC (DAC is ALSA connected to UpBoard HQPe):

680864001_ScreenShot2018-11-22at10_49_19am.thumb.png.0885d91bc77bcbb8bf1f171c5fda775d.png

12 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

My Mac doesn't see the UpBoard - should I see it in my sound cards as if I had a USB DAC connected to the Mac?

Yes, it should appear once you start the input from HQPlayer.

12 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

So the UpBoard is connected to my Mac via micro-B USB3.0 cable.

That is correct, although I use USB2 cable, so it doesn't have the side extension on the micro connector USB3 has. But shouldn't make a difference.

15 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

I looked in the UpBoard BIOS settings and there's 3 options for the USB 3.0 OTG connector : PCI and ACPI.  There's also Auto. Which is the correct option? For the log output I showed above it was for PCI, so I guess if the log looks ok then PCI is fine.

There is one important setting that switches the port from host (OTG) mode to device mode... IIRC, it defaults to host mode.

See under "Chipset" menu, "South Bridge" and there set:

USB OTG Support: PCI mode

Default DRD Config: DeviceMode

DRD Access method: Sideband

5 minutes ago, Miska said:

Default DRD Config: DeviceMode

You were right, it was on HostMode as default.

After changing that, on Windows on my Macbook, I saw a message "setting up USB gadget" 

So something was happening in Windows to recognise the UpBoard for a short moment. 

But I don't see anything showing Windows sound outputs. And playing YouTube, I don't hear anything. We're getting closer though

1221695051_Screenshot(7).thumb.png.d8592b3df6f850c89bcc43751ff3a722.png

679183779_Screenshot(6).thumb.png.e4a71af477eb541f997b3bde36d24fff.png

2 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

After changing that, on Windows on my Macbook, I saw a message "setting up USB gadget" 

So something was happening in Windows to recognise the UpBoard for a short moment. 

But I don't see anything showing Windows sound outputs. And playing YouTube, I don't hear anything. We're getting closer though

It is known that the UAC2 driver Microsoft finally implemented into Windows is quite bad.

Does it do something more sensible with Mac?

9 minutes ago, Miska said:

It is known that the UAC2 driver Microsoft finally implemented into Windows is quite bad.

Does it do something more sensible with Mac?

Yes, Mac now shows the USB option "playback inactive" and there was sound with YouTube!

There was with the first YouTube video but the next video I started, the video won't start and there is no sound. Once I change Mac sound output to my monitor's soundcard, the video starts and sound starts.

Switching back to my UpBoard soundcard doesn't work.

A little buggy but I know this is experimental though. At least I got some sound.

42026353_ScreenShot2018-11-22at11_14_18am.thumb.png.a76e0cd24fa407e0f0923fa36dc5ac34.png

Having difficulty going to the HQPe config page when this input is selected. The browser keeps searching. It takes a few minutes for the Config page to come up.

Not a complaint - just feedback.

So the first time I select [email protected] I get this:

2018/11/22 00:36:55 Close previous transport
& 2018/11/22 00:36:55 Set transport (5): USB @44.1k
  2018/11/22 00:36:55 	found matching input: USB @44.1k
  2018/11/22 00:36:55 	run input switch script: start-uac-gadget.sh 44100 (256)
  2018/11/22 00:36:55 Audio transport: rate=44100 channels=2 format=pcm buffer=100
  2018/11/22 00:36:55 Set channels: 2 (2)
  2018/11/22 00:36:55 ALSA input device: hw:CARD=UAC2Gadget,DEV=0
# 2018/11/22 00:36:55 ALSA snd_hctl_open() failed: No such device
# 2018/11/22 00:36:55 ALSA snd_mixer_attach() failed: No such device
# 2018/11/22 00:36:55 clReadAudio::Open(): clALSAEngine::Initialize(): snd_pcm_open(): No such device
& 2018/11/22 00:36:55 Play
# 2018/11/22 00:36:55 clPlayerDaemon::SwitchInput(): clHQPlayerEngine::Play(): Transport == NULL

When I hit "select" the 2nd time, then the soundcard actually comes up in Mac OS.

I think the problems I had before was because I kept hitting select a 3rd or 4th time.

After the reboot I get sound again for the first YouTube video. When I try to play a different video, no sound and the video won't start.

Log looks normal though.

8 hours ago, Em2016 said:

After the reboot I get sound again for the first YouTube video. When I try to play a different video, no sound and the video won't start.

Log looks normal though.

Some interaction glitch between two drivers I guess... Maybe macOS system log would tell what is going wrong. Or Linux syslog. This stuff happens below HQPlayer level, only some side effects propagate to HQPlayer.

6 minutes ago, Miska said:

Some interaction glitch between two drivers I guess... Maybe macOS system log would tell what is going wrong. Or Linux syslog. This stuff happens below HQPlayer level, only some side effects propagate to HQPlayer.

No problem. How to get the macOS system log?

Also - do you think the miniDSP TOSlink-to-USB input method into HQPe is more reliable than this UpBoard/micro-B method?

Or it could see the same/similar issue?

33 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Also - do you think the miniDSP TOSlink-to-USB input method into HQPe is more reliable than this UpBoard/micro-B method?

Or it could see the same/similar issue?

Yes, at the moment it is more reliable. It misses automatic rate switching capability though that at the moment completely works only with RME ADI-2 (since it had needed features and I implemented it to the Linux driver).

So with the miniDSP thingie (which is preconfigured in the default HQPlayer config) you need to select matching sampling rate, but other than that it works fine. I'm using it with Google's Chromecast Audio dongle.

How to get the macOS system log?

Under Applications -> Utilities there's item called Console that can be used to view these.

2 minutes ago, Miska said:

So with the miniDSP thingie (which is preconfigured in the default HQPlayer config) you need to select matching sampling rate, but other than that it works fine. I'm using it with Google's Chromecast Audio dongle.

Nice! So the steps with the miniDSP thingie are just to update to latest miniDSP firmware. And after that it's plug and play with HQPe now?

I remember there were some extra steps in the instructions for sonicTransporter input:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/43534-sgc-sonictransporter-hqplayer-4-embedded-as-audio-hub/

But for a non-sonicTransporter running HQPe, it's plug and play?

1 hour ago, Em2016 said:

Nice! So the steps with the miniDSP thingie are just to update to latest miniDSP firmware. And after that it's plug and play with HQPe now?

I remember there were some extra steps in the instructions for sonicTransporter input:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/43534-sgc-sonictransporter-hqplayer-4-embedded-as-audio-hub/

But for a non-sonicTransporter running HQPe, it's plug and play?

You need the correct firmware (there are many options). I think right one was called something like "toslink stereo".

So the step 1 is needed from the instructions.

19 minutes ago, shadowlight said:

Link to the steps that I went through to get USBStreamer working on my HPQe setup.

Thanks! That looks more involved but that’s also from July.

I’m running the latest bootable image and Jussi said it’s pre-configured now on the HQPe side?

Anyway I’ll buy USBStreamer and install the right firmware and plug it in and hope USBstreamer shows up on the Input Playlist. I’ll report back.