IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

3 hours ago, shadowlight said:

@Miska what does the error message "

2018/10/13 23:06:09 clHQPlayerEngine::Execute(): clStreamReaderHTTP::Read(): read max loop" mean?

Got that while streaming from Audirvana to HQPe.

Sender is sending too small pieces at once or very slowly. It is sanity check that HQPlayer doesn't end up burning a lot of CPU time busy-looping on the network receive function, so it gives up trying to get enough data fast enough.

Is that A+ on macOS? Because I have never seen that before on A+ context.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

7 hours ago, Miska said:

Sender is sending too small pieces at once or very slowly. It is sanity check that HQPlayer doesn't end up burning a lot of CPU time busy-looping on the network receive function, so it gives up trying to get enough data fast enough.

Is that A+ on macOS? Because I have never seen that before on A+ context.

A+ under Windows.

2 hours ago, shadowlight said:

A+ under Windows.

That is probably then some "feature" of the new Windows version. I have not tried that myself, only the macOS version that has been around for a while. Is that happening frequently? Is it related to a streaming service like Tidal or local file playback?

1 minute ago, Miska said:

That is probably then some "feature" of the new Windows version. I have not tried that myself, only the macOS version that has been around for a while. Is that happening frequently? Is it related to a streaming service like Tidal or local file playback?

Streaming of Qobuz.  It happened twice last night.  I will try local files later today.

Hi Jussi @Miska

We discussed a few months ago the possibility of seeing the current HQPe volume on the ‘’main’ page.

I see more features being added to this main page. Are you still planning to show this current volume? Maybe even a volume adjuster?

Roon can show the exact dB of HQPe but BubbleUPnP and mConnect and Audirvana don’t - these only show a volume %.

I thought maybe the ‘’main’ page can show the current volume in dB like Roon does? 

If one could adjust from this page that would be a great bonus but even just a display of current would be great.

Love all the HQPe updates you are releasing.

Many thanks

8 hours ago, arglebargle said:

@Miska could you give a brief explanation of  narrow vs wide SDM-SDM conversion setting?

Especially when converting down from higher SDM rate to a lower one, some small amount of bandwidth limiting happens. With "narrow" the ultrasonic response rolls of gently a bit more than with "wide". I couldn't decide to stick with just either one of the two designs, they have their sides. So I decided to make both available and give option to choose. I had hard time figuring out how to call this, but you sort of select between two remodulator frequency response curves.

P.S. Remember to check out the new help pages... ;)

1 hour ago, shadowlight said:

@Miska if I had option to pickup a new system and the cpu choice was e5-2643v2 v/s i7-6700, which one would you recommend?  I am leaning towards the Xeon due to slight faster CPU speed with 2 additional cores + 25MB Cache, but wanted to get your opinion on it. 

That is a really hard question. But I would possibly go for the Xeon, although it is quite old Ivy Bridge generation....

53 minutes ago, Miska said:

That is a really hard question. But I would possibly go for the Xeon, although it is quite old Ivy Bridge generation....

Thank you.  I picked up a Dell R620 server with 2x2643v2.  Let's see how well it handles 44.1k to 48kx512DSD on it's own ?.  The server will reside outside of the listening room connected via gigabit switch connection and wireless on the NAA side.

Edit: If it does not work out well, I can always use it as a VMWare server.

1 hour ago, shadowlight said:

Is it possible to use multiple nVidia cards (K2000 in my case) and do you get additional benefits with it?

Yes and no, at the moment I don't have code that would explicitly use multiple cards (possible, but just not there yet). But the Nvidia framework could be still doing something about it... Nobody has reported back what happens, and I don't have any machine yet with more than one card.

28 minutes ago, Miska said:

Yes and no, at the moment I don't have code that would explicitly use multiple cards (possible, but just not there yet). But the Nvidia framework could be still doing something about it... Nobody has reported back what happens, and I don't have any machine yet with more than one card.

I will give it a shot in about 2 weeks when I will have a chance to install Ubuntu on the system.  I am using Debian right now.

I am planning to buy a new 8th generation Intel NUC to try HQPlayer Embedded and would like to get some answers first.

1. My DAC, Mytek Brooklyn, is limited to DSD256 so I'm not going for DSD512. Would the quad-core i5 be adequate? Or would an i7 always out-perform the i5 in SQ?

2. I see that people go for 19v in their power supplies while the technical spec says that 12-19v are supported. Would 15v or even 12v do the job? Or again, would the higher voltage out-perform the lower ones?

3. When I click to download the HQPe image, I get a list including :  "images", "stretch" and "Xenial". Which one should I get?

Thanks in advance.

Clarence

9 hours ago, clang said:

I am planning to buy a new 8th generation Intel NUC to try HQPlayer Embedded and would like to get some answers first.

1. My DAC, Mytek Brooklyn, is limited to DSD256 so I'm not going for DSD512. Would the quad-core i5 be adequate? Or would an i7 always out-perform the i5 in SQ?

Although I don't have any 8th gen NUCs yet, for -2s filters to DSD256, quad-core i5 should be just fine. With i7 you get usually around 10% performance gain at matching clock speeds. So the clock frequency difference plus 10%. Usually not a big difference.

9 hours ago, clang said:

2. I see that people go for 19v in their power supplies while the technical spec says that 12-19v are supported. Would 15v or even 12v do the job? Or again, would the higher voltage out-perform the lower ones?

I have not tried, since NUC ships with 19V PSU... But I would expect it to work according to specs.

9 hours ago, clang said:

3. When I click to download the HQPe image, I get a list including :  "images", "stretch" and "Xenial". Which one should I get?

Bootable images are under "images". "bionic" is packages for Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver, "xenial" is packages for Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus (now outdated) and "stretch" is packages for Debian 9 "Stretch". Then there are "fcXX" for corresponding Fedora releases (only fc25 and fc28 maintained at the moment).