IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

8 hours ago, Miska said:

You can configure an ALSA inputs as inputs to HQPE. This way you can use for example either ADC or digital inputs (S/PDIF or AES/EBU) as sources for HQPE.

See readme.txt documentation for "input" element in the configuration file. Some of the configuration aspects are still missing from the web interface and need to be done manually by editing the configuration file.

Sorry I don't quite understand this. I'm a Windows/Citrix guy, but trying to learn Linux :)

What is the difference from an input stream comming from an ADC-card or a S/PDIF source, compared to the digital stream from a software mediaplayer (in this case SqueezeLite)? Isn't both send through the ALSA, being the central soundmixer in Linux...

I would like to look in the HQPE readme.txt file for more information but it seems that this file is embedded in the HQPE package. This means I have to have a proper Linux installation up and running before I can get the file. I haven't any available yet!!!
Any chance you could dump a copy of this file on the ftp-share?

Regards
Martin Roerup

7 minutes ago, mroerup said:

What is the difference from an input stream comming from an ADC-card or a S/PDIF source, compared to the digital stream from a software mediaplayer (in this case SqueezeLite)? Isn't both send through the ALSA, being the central soundmixer in Linux...

ALSA is the audio API between applications and audio hardware. It is not audio mixer or such, for that purpose many Linux distributions run PulseAudio, but that is something I specifically don't use, but instead access the audio hardware directly as possible. Same on Windows too, bypassing the operating system mixer and accessing the audio devices directly.

When application plays audio to the ALSA hardware device, it goes straight to the kernel's audio hardware driver and out of the computer. For audio inputs to HQPlayer, it's the inverse, HQPlayer gets the audio input straight from hardware driver.

The OS audio mixers/engines are generally horribly crappy and best avoided as much as possible. Those work OK for things like playing "bling! you've got new email!" type sounds, but nothing else. They are not developed for quality, but for convenience and low resource usage. Plus they completely lack support for advanced things like DSD.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

9 hours ago, bibo01 said:

For proper work with SqueezeLite one would need a special developed plugin.

As a matter of fact, I am working at it with a developer friend of mine and George from Sound Galleries.

Hi bibo01.

This sounds really interesting :D How far is this project? I would like to hear more...
The UPnP/DLNA to LMS bridge plugin (squeeze2upnp) might work but is a little bit disappoining...when I'm shooting at DSD256/DSD512.

Regards
Martin Roerup

1 minute ago, mroerup said:

Hi bibo01.

This sounds really interesting :D How far is this project? I would like to hear more...
The UPnP/DLNA to LMS bridge plugin (squeeze2upnp) might work but is a little bit disappoining...when I'm shooting at DSD256/DSD512.

Regards
Martin Roerup

We are setting it up. Once its ready to roll, with my developer's friend willingness, we will be looking for beta tester over here too.

2 hours ago, shadowlight said:

I will have to read the document but any help in how we can leverage Chromecast Audio to send the stream to HQPlayer?  I recently picked one up so was wondering.

You can utilize suitable input device with Toslink input and connect the Chromecast Audio dongle to it. Then configure that device as an input to HQPlayer. You can then switch to that input using Input-page of the web interface.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

You can utilize suitable input device with Toslink input and connect the Chromecast Audio dongle to it. Then configure that device as an input to HQPlayer. You can then switch to that input using Input-page of the web interface.

Thank you.  I will have to try that sometime this week.

On 11/18/2017 at 7:20 PM, shadowlight said:

Slightly related but bit OT.

I want to create image of my existing HQPe setup which in total is using about 12gb of disk space, but the disk that I have it installed is 256GB.  If I use "dd" to clone I will end up with 256GB image file.  The question is how do I go about creating the image file so I can install it on either a 16GB or 32GB USB/microsd card.

The goal is to make the image available minus the licensing information.

@hifi25nl, @Miska,

Gents, any help?  Right now to get around the issue I plan to install Debian and Ubuntu on two 4gb partition and take an image of that.

No plans to make any money, just trying to contribute.

37 minutes ago, shadowlight said:

Gents, any help?  Right now to get around the issue I plan to install Debian and Ubuntu on two 4gb partition and take an image of that.

I think only clean way to do that is to use same methods that are used to create the OS distribution images. You can at least get started with debootstrap:

https://wiki.debian.org/Debootstrap

On Maemo/MeeGo/Tizen we had various tools and the CI system building the images from set of packages.

Anyone get this error on ubuntu Xenial?

Successfully activated service 'org.gtk.vfs.Daemon'
Rygel-Message: rygel-acl.vala:143: No ACL fallback policy found. Using “allow”
Rygel-Message: Rygel v0.34.0 starting…
RygelCore-Message: New plugin “org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.hqplayerd” available

(rygel:3024): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_str_has_prefix: assertion 'str != NULL' failed

(rygel:3024): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_str_has_prefix: assertion 'str != NULL' failed

On 11/30/2017 at 5:46 PM, shadowlight said:

I will check it out.

Once you have for example a rootstrap as tarball, you can create an empty file, attach it to a loop device, create partitions on it, format the partitions and extract the tarball. This way you don't need to actually boot and install anything on it, potentially polluting the empty space (which would make it compress badly later on) and adding unnecessary information like log files.

Sometimes tricky part can be initrd which in many distributions is built to be hardware specific...

I tried to build up from scratch using shadowlight's procedure, with latest mpris and hqplayerd b10 code, still getting same message, hopefully can get some clue here, hqplayerd can communicate well with remote naa, but can never find the upnp device.

Signalyst HQPlayer Embedded v4.0.0b10
Copyright (C) 1998-2017 Jussi Laako / Signalyst. All rights reserved.

wzhu@hqplayerd:~$ exec /usr/bin/rygel &
[3] 2644
wzhu@hqplayerd:~$ Activating service name='org.gtk.vfs.Daemon'
Rygel-Message: rygel-acl.vala:143: No ACL fallback policy found. Using "allow"
Rygel-Message: Rygel v0.28.3 starting…
RygelCore-Message: New plugin 'org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.hqplayerd' available

(rygel:2644): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_str_has_prefix: assertion 'str != NULL' failed

(rygel:2644): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_str_has_prefix: assertion 'str != NULL' failed

1 hour ago, 2a3set said:

I tried to build up from scratch using shadowlight's procedure, with latest mpris and hqplayerd b10 code, still getting same message, hopefully can get some clue here, hqplayerd can communicate well with remote naa, but can never find the upnp device.

wzhu@hqplayerd:~$ Activating service name='org.gtk.vfs.Daemon'

Are you sure that MPRIS is the only plugin enabled in Rygel  config?

What are you trying to use as a Control Point?

1 hour ago, 2a3set said:

RygelCore-Message: New plugin 'org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.hqplayerd' available

Depending on Rygel version, you may need also following in the rygel.conf:

[org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.hqplayerd]
enabled=true

Shouldn't be needed with the version shipped on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, but IIRC is needed on the version shipped on Debian 9 (Stretch).

1 hour ago, 2a3set said:

I also get these, but Rygel works regardless of the error messages.

My Jriver 22 kept crashing on Linux and OSX with hqplayerd, so gave up.

Using MusicLife on iphone now, working well with Minimserver on PCM side, not sure how to do DSD (DSF/DFF) as I cannot get anything out (tried with or without minimstreamer, actually streamer works better to pre-convert from flac to wav).

** (process:24512): WARNING **: clPlayerDaemon::OnOpenURI(http://192.168.111.11:9790/minimserver/*/DSD/Jazz/Noran*20Jones*20-*20Come*20Away*20With*20Me/01*20-*20Norah*20Jones*20-*20Don*27t*20Know*20Why.dff): clPlaylist::GetTrackLength(): trackn > last

Adding some logs,

& 2017/12/08 10:27:06 Play next URI: http://192.168.111.11:9790/minimserver/*/DSD/Jazz/Noran*20Jones*20-*20Come*20Away*20With*20Me/01*20-*20Norah*20Jones*20-*20Don*27t*20Know*20Why.dff
# 2017/12/08 10:27:06 clReadDSD::OpenURI(): clDSDIFF::Open(): clDSDIFFFormChunk::Read(): clStreamReaderHTTP::Read(): read max loop
# 2017/12/08 10:27:06 Adding URI to the playlist transport failed
! 2017/12/08 10:27:06 clPlayerDaemon::OnOpenURI(): clPlaylist::GetTrackLength(): trackn > last
& 2017/12/08 10:27:06 Playlist clear
& 2017/12/08 10:27:06 Play
! 2017/12/08 10:27:06 clPlayerDaemon::OnPlay(): clHQPlayerEngine::Play(): clPlaylist::SetTrack(): uiTrack > last track
  2017/12/08 10:27:08 Stop request (tail)

On 12/8/2017 at 6:38 PM, 2a3set said:

# 2017/12/08 10:27:06 clReadDSD::OpenURI(): clDSDIFF::Open(): clDSDIFFFormChunk::Read(): clStreamReaderHTTP::Read(): read max loop

This error happens when hqplayerd cannot receive data properly from the server and bails out to avoid getting stuck waiting forever.