IGNORED

XLD sounds better than DBPAmp

mfaoro

I converted a 24/96 WAV file to FLAC using both DBpoweramp and XLD.

I had FLAC compression at 0. Every other setting was left at defaults.

I shared the file with a friend with a very resolving system (much like my own).

We both felt that The XLD file sounded better. Had more life to it.

Are there settings in DBPoweramp that I really should play with? That bring it closer to XLD sonically.

Thanks,

Michael

Edit: this is on a Mac

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

FRONT END: Analog: Radikal Linn LP12 > Linn Urika 2 phono stage. Sound: Linn Klimax Organik DSM > Linn Duo amp >Maggie 3.7i  Wires + Power: Transparent: Reference Speaker, XL Power Conditioner + XL Power Cords. Furutech NFC Rhodium outlet on 10 gauge dedicated circuit with isolated ground Isolation: HRS SXR stand, M3X2 Bases. 

Connected to back end by: Transparent Ethernet 

BACK END: Digital: Internet > OpticalModule > EtherREGEN < AD Queen Squarewave Clock < Roon Nucleus + (internal 7TB SSD music library) Isolation: Salamander Archetype rack, HRS M3X2 base the under Nucleus, ER,Stillpoints under all others Power: Paul Hynes SR7T > Clock, Nucleus. SR7T > ER & OpticalModule, SR4 > Switch. Furutech NFC Rhodium outlet on 10 gauge dedicated circuit with isolated ground 

I converted a 24/96 WAV file to FLAC using both DBpoweramp and XLD.

I had FLAC compression at 0. Every other setting was left at defaults.

I shared the file with a friend with a very resolving system (much like my own).

We both felt that The XLD file sounded better. Had more life to it.

Are there settings in DBPoweramp that I really should play with? That bring it closer to XLD sonically.

Thanks,

Michael

Edit: this is on a Mac

If the XLD rip sounds better than the DBPoweramp rip, why not just use XLD?

It's not a rip. A file conversion from WAV to FLAC.

On a dumb level: because I just paid for DBPoweramp :).

Being more realistic, it's because:

DBpoweramp is much more stable.

And...

DBPoweramp has a much better batching feature set.

Michael

FRONT END: Analog: Radikal Linn LP12 > Linn Urika 2 phono stage. Sound: Linn Klimax Organik DSM > Linn Duo amp >Maggie 3.7i  Wires + Power: Transparent: Reference Speaker, XL Power Conditioner + XL Power Cords. Furutech NFC Rhodium outlet on 10 gauge dedicated circuit with isolated ground Isolation: HRS SXR stand, M3X2 Bases. 

BACK END: Digital: Internet > OpticalModule > EtherREGEN < AD Queen Squarewave Clock < Roon Nucleus + (internal 7TB SSD music library) Isolation: Salamander Archetype rack, HRS M3X2 base the under Nucleus, ER,Stillpoints under all others Power: Paul Hynes SR7T > Clock, Nucleus. SR7T > ER & OpticalModule, SR4 > Switch. Furutech NFC Rhodium outlet on 10 gauge dedicated circuit with isolated ground 

The real question that should be asked is: how can the output FLAC file from one converter sound better than another one? This suggests that the two programs do not convert so that the resulting files are identical. Not really understanding how this conversion process works leaves me to think there must be some variability involved.

Normally I would expect a wave file to perhaps have the slight edge, but resulting FLAC files made from the same WAVE file should sound alike, how can they not? If they do not sound alike, perhaps there is something else going on in the playback chain that is influencing the playback results.

I am a DBPA user and have faith in the reliability the program exhibits and think there must be more to this.

And I know nothing about XLD so perhaps I will endeavor to learn a little and see what results I can get.

It's not a rip. A file conversion from WAV to FLAC.

On a dumb level: because I just paid for DBPoweramp :).

Being more realistic, it's because:

DBpoweramp is much more stable.

And...

DBPoweramp has a much better batching feature set.

Michael

I use DBPowerAmap and know the support is first rate...without anything other than good will in the suggestion, why not pose that question to them. Perhaps there is something that could be learned by all. If you do, please let us know how it turns out/

I use DBPowerAmap and know the support is first rate...without anything other than good will in the suggestion, why not pose that question to them. Perhaps there is something that could be learned by all. If you do, please let us know how it turns out/

Good suggestion. If anyone responds I will post it here.

If the XLD rip sounds better than the DBPoweramp rip, why not just use XLD?

There no difference between rip CD to FLAC or WAV to FLAC.

Rip CD (if errors present) can cause: sillences, clicks, skips. It is more obvious distortions, than "sound worse".

For exact checking need convert FLACs by both converters to WAVs and made binary comparison.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

XLD compares its results with AccurateRip database when converting and/or ripping and its results I have compared them with cd rips using EAC. It is 100% accurate.

For DBpoweramp, it has been reported that the conversion is not 100% accurate, it does some manipulation. Binary comparison has already been done and finding reported here in CA. With search, you can find the post

For DBpoweramp, it has been reported that the conversion is not 100% accurate, it does some manipulation. Binary comparison has already been done and finding reported here in CA. With search, you can find the post

But you can use AccurateRip together with dBpoweramp?

Anyway, at least to my understanding a flac to wav or vice versa conversation has nothing to do with AccurateRip.

But you can use AccurateRip together with dBpoweramp?

Anyway, at least to my understanding a flac to wav or vice versa conversation has nothing to do with AccurateRip.

This I do not know.

However, when XLD is requested to make a conversion, it treats the folder as a CD and checks with accuraterip the ripping accuracy , that way you know if your file has any problems.

On windows, there are programs that corrects the errors of a file, based on the accuraterip database.

DBpoweramp uses a different method and maybe that is the reason you heard the differences.

Στάλθηκε από το X9007 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

This is the CD ripper. You are talking about file conversion and maybe during the file conversion the DBpoweramp makes something different than XLD , which XLD is using accuraterip to every conversion, except DSD to PCM

This is correct, it is from the ripper. In my opinion, this is where AccurateRip is needed.

To my understanding, a conversation from WAV to FLAC and back to WAV will no destroy any music data.

All programs should use the same flac executable, which you can get here: https://xiph.org/flac/

XLD compares its results with AccurateRip database when converting and/or ripping and its results I have compared them with cd rips using EAC. It is 100% accurate.

1. WAV to FLAC conversion don't related to the database.

2. The database don't guarantee 100% binary identity of ripped audio file to studio source file that used for creaing of CD.

The database filled by uncertified sources. Even if data from all sources for one CD is similar, it is not guarantee 100% identity of the studio file.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

1. WAV to FLAC conversion don't related to the database.

2. The database don't guarantee 100% binary identity of ripped audio file to studio source file that used for creaing of CD.

The database filled by uncertified sources. Even if data from all sources for one CD is similar, it is not guarantee 100% identity of the studio file.

1) XLD is treating each conversion as a CD rip. That is why it has an option {open folder as CD} so as make this verification, even though there are wave files .

2) we do not want verification with the studio Master, we want verification with the CD that has been used to make the ripping.

1) XLD is treating each conversion as a CD rip. That is why it has an option {open folder as CD} so as make this verification, even though there are wave files .

2) we do not want verification with the studio Master, we want verification with the CD that has been used to make the ripping.

XLD will only verify a file if you click on the "Verify" button after opening a folder as a disc. It is not automatically verified and it is not verified during a format conversion. Any verification will result in a log report.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

I don't meant studio master. Studio master may be as high resolution file as analog tape.

I told about binary comparing with audio file that was recorded on CD without modifications.

For proper comparing need to know, what was recorded on CD exactly. Any other comparing (with other ripping, as example) have no sense, in my opinion.

CDs and CD drives provide builtin serious abilities for control of data integrity. There error flags for each byte may be checked. Also multiple re-reading with statistical processing may be applied. And other tricks.

What about the database for rare CDs?

And are you sure that checksum for ripped file calculated for pure audio content without metadata? The metadata may be differerent for different ripping seances.

This is the CD ripper. You are talking about file conversion and maybe during the file conversion the DBpoweramp makes something different than XLD , which XLD is using accuraterip to every conversion, except DSD to PCM

This is not true. XLD does not use AccurateRip for file conversions.

You *can* use "Open folder as a disc" to compare existing files against AccurateRip to confirm an existing rip, but AccurateRip is not consulted during file conversions - as EuroChamp points out, it is not needed nor beneficial during conversions.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

If I were investigating this issue -- an issue that seems to come up in one form or another at least weekly on this forum -- the first thing I'd want to know is whether the XLD FLAC and the DBPA FLAC are in fact identical. The easiest way to determine this is to use foobar2000 with its "Bit-compare" component. Load the two files and compare them. Then load the original WAV and compare it to each of the FLACs just to get the complete "belt and suspenders" picture.

foobar2000: Download foobar2000

"Bit-compare" component: foobar2000: Components Repository - Binary Comparator

If I were investigating this issue -- an issue that seems to come up in one form or another at least weekly on this forum -- the first thing I'd want to know is whether the XLD FLAC and the DBPA FLAC are in fact identical. The easiest way to determine this is to use foobar2000 with its "Bit-compare" component. Load the two files and compare them. Then load the original WAV and compare it to each of the FLACs just to get the complete "belt and suspenders" picture.

foobar2000: Download foobar2000

"Bit-compare" component: foobar2000: Components Repository - Binary Comparator

Thanks for this.

I did a test with a 24/192 5.1 WAV, converted to FLAC (0 compression) via both XLD and DBPoweramp, both running on macOS 10.12.4, beta 4 (foobar2000 running in Windows 10 VM). No differences in decoded data found.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Want to try something interesting? FLAC the XLD file at compression 8 and the DPBA file at compression 0; now try the bit-comparison again.

Do you want say, what unpacking results of these 2 files are different? May be there need apply offset by time (by samples)?