IGNORED

BRIO by OraStream

With this post, I’m taking the opportunity to introduce BRIO, a new music library management, streaming server and remote access system being offered by OraStream. (Full disclosure, I was a beta tester for BRIO, but received no compensation for that or for posting here, and in fact have paid for a subscription at my own expense.)

BRIO answers the question of how to listen to your owned music library, streaming at native resolution, from remote locations or on your own home wifi network without purchasing any extraordinary hardware. And it combines that with access to the Naxos catalog as streaming content, also at full native resolution. To clarify, BRIO lets you listen to your own music library and to available streamed music services at 16/44 up to 24/192 hi res quality (with some hardware limitations; see the PDF attached to this post for all the details).

And BRIO does all this without MQA, which I am sure many here will find a relief. Instead, it relies on adaptive streaming to get the music to your endpoint losslessly.

BRIO has three levels of service:

1) The Standard Plan, which is free of charge, turns your desktop PC or Mac into a home music server that allows you to access music stored there remotely using a web browser on another PC or Mac. It also gives you access to connected streaming services, which as noted above currently equals just Naxos. Connected streaming services are not free; as the old commercials would say, "streaming sold separately."

2) The Mobile Plan, which cost $15 Singapore per year (currently that’s US$10.50/year), lets you use an iOS or Android app to access your home music server and connected streaming services. You can do this using wifi or 4G/LTE cell data.

3) The Cloud Plan, which costs $150 Singapore per year (currently that's US$105.00/year), allows you to load up to 500 GB of music files to a cloud server rather than relying on your home computer as the server. Otherwise it includes all the Standard and Mobile Plan features.

I’m using the Mobile Plan right now. The one weakness of the Standard and Mobile Plans is that you have to have port-forwarding on a UpNP-enabled router and leave your home server running the BRIO desktop application 24/7 (no sleep mode) whenever you want to access your music library remotely. So, you face issues of excess wear-and-tear, as well as reliability issues arising from power outages, internet outages, and OS updates that occur while you are out of the home and could knock your computer offline, disrupting your remote listening access.

The 500 GB Cloud Plan is designed to resolve all these concerns, at least for those willing to pay 10X the Mobile Plan price and who have 500 GB or less of music files in their library. I have not asked OraStream whether they are considering allowing users to purchase larger chunks of the Cloud. If you travel frequently, however, the ability to conveniently and reliably access your music at full native resolution (up to 24/192) could be worth the expense.

Regarding streaming services associated with BRIO, right now they are limited to Naxos’ offerings. That might be irrelevant for those committed to, e.g., TIDAL or QOBUZ, who don’t want to add another service. It’s not such a bad thing for those like me who miss Naxos’ ClassicsOnline; even after they reduced the catalogue to just Naxos recordings, I find that it’s nice to get that possibility back.

The User Interface right now is utilitarian but effective. You can find your library (which you can import from iTunes or designate by drive/folder) easily, and sort the music by track, artist, album or genre. After that, you’re working with nested lists, with album artwork, to find what you’re looking for. It’s no Roon, but it works. OraStream’s next project is to improve BRIO’s use of metadata and to create a more user-friendly UI, which they’re committing to getting done over the next few months.

So, there you have it. I might have left out some pertinent details; I refer you to OraStream with any questions you may have. It's to my knowledge a novel approach that I think has the primary benefit of letting you hear your owned music library with no lossy compression, as well as the possibility for streaming Naxos’ online music catalogue. See the attached PDF for OraStream’s Product Brief on BRIO. It’s worth checking out.

One final note. Undoubtedly, one or more users of this forum will immediately point out some other service they think delivers everything BRIO does, or most of it, or does it better, or whatever. I stipulate that YOU WIN. Take it up with OraStream and please don't shoot the (uncompensated) messenger.

BRIO by OraStream - Product Brief.pdf

• 1 month later...
On 2017-02-18 at 3:12 AM, jiminlogansquare said:

With this post, I’m taking the opportunity to introduce BRIO, a new music library management, streaming server and remote access system being offered by OraStream. (Full disclosure, I was a beta tester for BRIO, but received no compensation for that or for posting here, and in fact have paid for a subscription at my own expense.)

BRIO answers the question of how to listen to your owned music library, streaming at native resolution, from remote locations or on your own home wifi network without purchasing any extraordinary hardware. And it combines that with access to the Naxos catalog as streaming content, also at full native resolution. To clarify, BRIO lets you listen to your own music library and to available streamed music services at 16/44 up to 24/192 hi res quality (with some hardware limitations; see the PDF attached to this post for all the details).

And BRIO does all this without MQA, which I am sure many here will find a relief. Instead, it relies on adaptive streaming to get the music to your endpoint losslessly.

BRIO has three levels of service:

1) The Standard Plan, which is free of charge, turns your desktop PC or Mac into a home music server that allows you to access music stored there remotely using a web browser on another PC or Mac. It also gives you access to connected streaming services, which as noted above currently equals just Naxos. Connected streaming services are not free; as the old commercials would say, "streaming sold separately."

2) The Mobile Plan, which cost $15 Singapore per year (currently that’s US$10.50/year), lets you use an iOS or Android app to access your home music server and connected streaming services. You can do this using wifi or 4G/LTE cell data.

3) The Cloud Plan, which costs $150 Singapore per year (currently that's US$105.00/year), allows you to load up to 500 GB of music files to a cloud server rather than relying on your home computer as the server. Otherwise it includes all the Standard and Mobile Plan features.

I’m using the Mobile Plan right now. The one weakness of the Standard and Mobile Plans is that you have to have port-forwarding on a UpNP-enabled router and leave your home server running the BRIO desktop application 24/7 (no sleep mode) whenever you want to access your music library remotely. So, you face issues of excess wear-and-tear, as well as reliability issues arising from power outages, internet outages, and OS updates that occur while you are out of the home and could knock your computer offline, disrupting your remote listening access.

The 500 GB Cloud Plan is designed to resolve all these concerns, at least for those willing to pay 10X the Mobile Plan price and who have 500 GB or less of music files in their library. I have not asked OraStream whether they are considering allowing users to purchase larger chunks of the Cloud. If you travel frequently, however, the ability to conveniently and reliably access your music at full native resolution (up to 24/192) could be worth the expense.

Regarding streaming services associated with BRIO, right now they are limited to Naxos’ offerings. That might be irrelevant for those committed to, e.g., TIDAL or QOBUZ, who don’t want to add another service. It’s not such a bad thing for those like me who miss Naxos’ ClassicsOnline; even after they reduced the catalogue to just Naxos recordings, I find that it’s nice to get that possibility back.

The User Interface right now is utilitarian but effective. You can find your library (which you can import from iTunes or designate by drive/folder) easily, and sort the music by track, artist, album or genre. After that, you’re working with nested lists, with album artwork, to find what you’re looking for. It’s no Roon, but it works. OraStream’s next project is to improve BRIO’s use of metadata and to create a more user-friendly UI, which they’re committing to getting done over the next few months.

So, there you have it. I might have left out some pertinent details; I refer you to OraStream with any questions you may have. It's to my knowledge a novel approach that I think has the primary benefit of letting you hear your owned music library with no lossy compression, as well as the possibility for streaming Naxos’ online music catalogue. See the attached PDF for OraStream’s Product Brief on BRIO. It’s worth checking out.

One final note. Undoubtedly, one or more users of this forum will immediately point out some other service they think delivers everything BRIO does, or most of it, or does it better, or whatever. I stipulate that YOU WIN. Take it up with OraStream and please don't shoot the (uncompensated) messenger.

BRIO by OraStream - Product Brief.pdf

What it does better, than for example Jriver21 on PC, which i control via android Jremote? It will stream Tidal 24/96? As Bubble upnp streams MQA only 16/44 - or i miss some point?

It is my understanding that the using the cloud offering alone, while allowing you to turn off the server, will subject you to adaptive bit-rate streaming, and that the only way to play your files at full, native resolution is to leave the PC/Mac server on at home.  Is this true?  Thanks!

Edit: Also, of note, according to the PR, this is the company behind the technology which will apparently be used for Neil Young/Pono's new streaming service, Xstream.

5 hours ago, oneway23 said:

It is my understanding that the using the cloud offering alone, while allowing you to turn off the server, will subject you to adaptive bit-rate streaming, and that the only way to play your files at full, native resolution is to leave the PC/Mac server on at home.  Is this true?  Thanks!

Edit: Also, of note, according to the PR, this is the company behind the technology which will apparently be used for Neil Young/Pono's new streaming service, Xstream.

All remote streaming, either by BRIO desktop (on PC/MAC) or through the cloud offering, is adaptive bit-rate streaming. This allows the user to access personal music files in full, native resolution. The codec used for adaptive bit-rate streaming is MPEG-4 SLS which is bit-for-bit identical scalable lossless encoding: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4_SLS

When BRIO desktop is used for local playback, music files are decoded at full, native resolution locally.

OraStream will also be used for Xstream, Neil Young's music streaming service.

12 hours ago, Amigoz said:

What it does better, than for example Jriver21 on PC, which i control via android Jremote? It will stream Tidal 24/96? As Bubble upnp streams MQA only 16/44 - or i miss some point?

Users will already have a music library/player either in software, such as JRiver Media Centre or ROON, or in hardware. BRIO doesn't add more in terms of those basic functionality (other than that BRIO desktop is completely free-to-use). Hence, for users that find there is little utility (in the convenience) of access or remote control of the music library at full native resolution (from another location), there will be less of a need for BRIO.

We prepared this list of FAQs with the press release. It is re-produced here for users who may be interested to learn more.

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. Why did OraStream develop BRIO?

OraStream developed BRIO so as to make OraStream's adaptive server technology directly accessible by consumers.

The raison d'etre for OraStream is to restore lossless fidelity to digital music. BRIO brings this possibility directly to consumers.

2. What does BRIO do?

BRIO turns desktop PCs into personal music servers that allow consumers to access music stored remotely at native resolution using web browsers and mobile apps.

3. Who can use BRIO?

BRIO is available worldwide as a free-license for personal use on PCs and web browsers. All personal use of BRIO server and remote use via web browsers is free.

Access using BRIO on mobile devices costs S$15 per year (about $10.40 per annum).

4. Does BRIO benefit consumers in other ways?

(a) Aside from remote access, BRIO is a music library and high-res audio player. For music consumers seeking third-party audio players (generally available via paid-licenses), BRIO offers a free-to-use alternative.

(b) BRIO can give users access to connected streaming services. Users can conveniently subscribe to use connected streaming services in BRIO.

5. Where do I download BRIO?

(a) For 32-bit OS machines:

http://cdn.orastream.com/installers/BRIO_Setup_1.0.0_x86.exe (WIN)

(b) For 64-bit OS machines:

Win (64-bit) - http://cdn.orastream.com/installers/BRIO_Setup_1.0.0_x64.exe

Mac (64-bit only) - http://cdn.orastream.com/installers/BRIO_Setup_1.0.0.dmg

6. How to set up BRIO for remote access and streaming?

To allow BRIO to be remotely accessed anytime:

(a)    Your PC running BRIO needs to be “ON" (select “Never” under SLEEP settings), and

(b)   Your router’s UPnP setting needs to be “Enabled” (select “Enabled” under UPnP settings)

8 hours ago, OraStream said:

All remote streaming, either by BRIO desktop (on PC/MAC) or through the cloud offering, is adaptive bit-rate streaming. This allows the user to access personal music files in full, native resolution. The codec used for adaptive bit-rate streaming is MPEG-4 SLS which is bit-for-bit identical scalable lossless encoding: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4_SLS

When BRIO desktop is used for local playback, music files are decoded at full, native resolution locally.

OraStream will also be used for Xstream, Neil Young's music streaming service.

I appreciate your prompt response, thank you!

This is somewhat unfortunate news.  We seem to be in yet another situation where the meaning of the word "loseless" is seemingly being used for some positive PR amongst the "audiophile" set in the hopes of establishing a market, while its meaning appears to be slightly confused and/or obscured.  

In reading the link you provided, Wikipedia states that MPEG-4 SLS is capable of, "reaching lossless quality at data rates comparable to those of current pure lossless audio codecs."  

If the input on my server end is .FLAC and the output is not, this is not "full, native resolution", it is transcoding.

This is not the same as MQA, in my view, simply because MQA is being used as a "value-add" in existing streaming products, and I can choose whether or not to avail myself of those files.  MQA is not re-encoding my personal collection.

In this case, if I'm understanding correctly, regardless of how I choose to access my personal files, I would be paying for cloud storage of .FLAC files for you to serve them back to me at less than what I've uploaded.  Would there be any scenario or setting where no transcoding is taking place?  If not, Google Music will currently serve back up to 50,000 of your personal files in 320kbps for free.  That's fine, because it's free.  If I'm paying for that storage, it's not unreasonable to expect to get back what I've uploaded, and to also expect to be able to pull original copies of those files down from the cloud at any time.     

37 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

I appreciate your prompt response, thank you!

This is somewhat unfortunate news.  We seem to be in yet another situation where the meaning of the word "loseless" is seemingly being used for some positive PR amongst the "audiophile" set in the hopes of establishing a market, while its meaning appears to be slightly confused and/or obscured.  

In reading the link you provided, Wikipedia states that MPEG-4 SLS is capable of, "reaching lossless quality at data rates comparable to those of current pure lossless audio codecs."  

If the input on my server end is .FLAC and the output is not, this is not "full, native resolution", it is transcoding.

This is not the same as MQA, in my view, simply because MQA is being used as a "value-add" in existing streaming products, and I can choose whether or not to avail myself of those files.  MQA is not re-encoding my personal collection.

In this case, if I'm understanding correctly, regardless of how I choose to access my personal files, I would be paying for cloud storage of .FLAC files for you to serve them back to me at less than what I've uploaded.  Would there be any scenario or setting where no transcoding is taking place?  If not, Google Music will currently serve back up to 50,000 of your personal files in 320kbps for free.  That's fine, because it's free.  If I'm paying for that storage, it's not unreasonable to expect to get back what I've uploaded, and to also expect to be able to pull original copies of those files down from the cloud at any time.     

Thanks for your comments.

The OraStream system takes in 16/44 up to 24/192 lossless files (FLAC, WAV, ALAC, or AIFF format) and encodes them in MPEG-4 SLS. As MPEG-4 SLS are bit-for-bit lossless files (like FLAC), they can be served back to users in FLAC, WAV, ALAC or AIFF formats. This is exactly how lossless downloads are delivered by OraStream.

A quality-adaptive streaming server can also make use of the fine-grain layers (0.4 kbps bit-rate increments) in an MPEG-4 SLS audio bitstream to truncate/stream audio frames, responding in real-time to the quality of the (player) network. When the network is fast enough, the audio frames are streamed in full, i.e., all data in each audio frame is delivered to achieve full native resolution losssless bit-rates. When the network slows down (congestion, weak reception zones, etc.,), the bitstream is truncated and streaming data scales down from lossless bit-rates to avoid audio buffering, interruptions, etc., for improved QoS.

In doing so, OraStream delivers the best possible musical fidelity (i.e., the most music information that will fit in the consumer's bandwidth "pipe") at any given moment in time.  If bandwidth increases, the quality of the musical experience will increase continuously and proportionately.  Users need not choose between relatively low-quality music and higher quality or resolution music (which users may not be able to take advantage of because of inherent bandwidth limitations).  OraStream delivers the best musical experience possible in light of bandwidth (and source) limitations. As technology advances and bandwidth increases, OraStream scales seamlessly and correspondingly. 

OraStream's MPEG-4 SLS streaming operates in two modes: in the cloud, content is pre-encoded and stored in SLS for streaming; in the PC, content is received and encoded in real-time for streaming. This means that in BRIO, FLAC files are received and encoded on the PC in real-time and streamed to the remote (player) location.  

My co-founder and I do not see the technology as one for audiophiles or an elite group of music consumers - if so, BRIO desktop (server) wouldn't be free-for-personal-use. Current streaming technology dictates that the user choose either low 96 kbps fidelity "music", high 320 kbps fidelity, 16/44 FLAC or 24/48 (pre-unfolding) MQA. Streaming becomes one of multi-quality, step-functions based on bandwidth and price-points. With OraStream, streaming is continuous. That's why we see it as a next-generation solution to better address the challenges of digital music streaming for consumers.

http://www.orastream.com/pono/demo.html

46 minutes ago, OraStream said:

Thanks for your comments.

The OraStream system takes in 16/44 up to 24/192 lossless files (FLAC, WAV, ALAC, or AIFF format) and encodes them in MPEG-4 SLS. As MPEG-4 SLS are bit-for-bit lossless files (like FLAC), they can be served back to users in FLAC, WAV, ALAC or AIFF formats. This is exactly how lossless downloads are delivered by OraStream.

A quality-adaptive streaming server can also make use of the fine-grain layers (0.4 kbps bit-rate increments) in an MPEG-4 SLS audio bitstream to truncate/stream audio frames, responding in real-time to the quality of the (player) network. When the network is fast enough, the audio frames are streamed in full, i.e., all data in each audio frame is delivered to achieve full native resolution losssless bit-rates. When the network slows down (congestion, weak reception zones, etc.,), the bitstream is truncated and streaming data scales down from lossless bit-rates to avoid audio buffering, interruptions, etc., for improved QoS.

In doing so, OraStream delivers the best possible musical fidelity (i.e., the most music information that will fit in the consumer's bandwidth "pipe") at any given moment in time.  If bandwidth increases, the quality of the musical experience will increase continuously and proportionately.  Users need not choose between relatively low-quality music and higher quality or resolution music (which users may not be able to take advantage of because of inherent bandwidth limitations).  OraStream delivers the best musical experience possible in light of bandwidth (and source) limitations. As technology advances and bandwidth increases, OraStream scales seamlessly and correspondingly. 

OraStream's MPEG-4 SLS streaming operates in two modes: in the cloud, content is pre-encoded and stored in SLS for streaming; in the PC, content is received and encoded in real-time for streaming. This means that in BRIO, FLAC files are received and encoded on the PC in real-time and streamed to the remote (player) location.  

My co-founder and I do not see the technology as one for audiophiles or an elite group of music consumers - if so, BRIO desktop (server) wouldn't be free-for-personal-use. Current streaming technology dictates that the user choose either low 96 kbps fidelity "music", high 320 kbps fidelity, 16/44 FLAC or 24/48 (pre-unfolding) MQA. Streaming becomes one of multi-quality, step-functions based on bandwidth and price-points. With OraStream, streaming is continuous. That's why we see it as a next-generation solution to better address the challenges of digital music streaming for consumers.

http://www.orastream.com/pono/demo.html

I genuinely appreciate your detailed and thorough response.

I have to say, when you mention that you don't see your technology for audiophiles or an elite group of music fans, I'm not entirely sure what you're seeking here, in that case.  Who is this for, exactly?

While I appreciate your insight and your efforts to broaden your scope, Tidal's continuing financial difficulties (I am a subscriber) illustrate that the average consumer is currently not seeing the value in CD-quality streaming, much less high resolution. The people that you would need to truly reach mass market penetration are, unfortunately, largely content listening to their music from Youtube.

I will refrain from comment beyond this, as it's not my intention to derail your pitch or assail your organization or its intent, in any way.  I just can't but help thinking that the current approach is a bit of a "fence-sitter" mentality, which is hoping to appease all, but, doesn't really attempt to make much of an effort to cater to the types of folks on forums such as this one or Hoffman's, who are undoubtedly going to carry word forward as you attempt to gain traction in your initial roll out.

Taking a look at how the Roon guys and, to a lesser extent, the Bluesound folks, have positioned themselves, would be instructive, in my humble opinion.

Regardless, I greatly appreciate your continued involvement here and your willingness to engage openly and honestly.  I hope to continue to see you carry your message here and also elsewhere.  I wish you nothing but the absolute best going forward.  More options benefit us all.

Cheers!

1 hour ago, oneway23 said:

I genuinely appreciate your detailed and thorough response.

I have to say, when you mention that you don't see your technology for audiophiles or an elite group of music fans, I'm not entirely sure what you're seeking here, in that case.  Who is this for, exactly?

While I appreciate your insight and your efforts to broaden your scope, Tidal's continuing financial difficulties (I am a subscriber) illustrate that the average consumer is currently not seeing the value in CD-quality streaming, much less high resolution. The people that you would need to truly reach mass market penetration are, unfortunately, largely content listening to their music from Youtube.

I will refrain from comment beyond this, as it's not my intention to derail your pitch or assail your organization or its intent, in any way.  I just can't but help thinking that the current approach is a bit of a "fence-sitter" mentality, which is hoping to appease all, but, doesn't really attempt to make much of an effort to cater to the types of folks on forums such as this one or Hoffman's, who are undoubtedly going to carry word forward as you attempt to gain traction in your initial roll out.

Taking a look at how the Roon guys and, to a lesser extent, the Bluesound folks, have positioned themselves, would be instructive, in my humble opinion.

Regardless, I greatly appreciate your continued involvement here and your willingness to engage openly and honestly.  I hope to continue to see you carry your message here and also elsewhere.  I wish you nothing but the absolute best going forward.  More options benefit us all.

Cheers!

Funny - I see it very differently; i.e., for me, OraStream is actually the best of all possible worlds.

If you have the bandwidth, you get full, lossless quality.  If you don't, the encoder / streamer scales back (granularly) to stream at the bandwidth available.

How could you get a better result than that?

PS - I think the software needs some work (have trouble logging in on one of my machines, takes up more resources on my server than I'd like, etc.), but I think the concept is brilliant.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

34 minutes ago, jhwalker said:

Funny - I see it very differently; i.e., for me, OraStream is actually the best of all possible worlds.

If you have the bandwidth, you get full, lossless quality.  If you don't, the encoder / streamer scales back (granularly) to stream at the bandwidth available.

How could you get a better result than that?

PS - I think the software needs some work (have trouble logging in on one of my machines, takes up more resources on my server than I'd like, etc.), but I think the concept is brilliant.

I do agree with you, to a point.  Personally, I am currently really enjoying MQA and all it offers.  I'm trying to look at this from a broader perspective for the benefit of both OraStream and all our wonderful users here, for a change, as opposed to simply focusing on my own enjoyment - all the rest be damned - such is my usual stance on things.  By the way, I still don't presume to speak for anyone else here.  I want to make that clear!

I guess I'm drawing on the recent discussions around here concerning MQA/loseless/defining loseless, etc., which have been, eh, rather....spirited?  Sure!  Rather spirited...Yup!

Anyway, tired of hearing myself blabber on, as I'm sure others are.  Let's here some other thoughts...Keep 'em coming!

I think the biggest or most obvious benefit of BRIO is its ability to stream and listen to one's own files while on the go/away from home -- with the OraStream adaptive rate stream providing the same native bit rates that you paid for rather than some downsampled version (such as the free Google service). The mobile subscription to BRIO is so inexpensive that it might as well be free.

But two features not fully discussed above are that (1) BRIO can integrate streaming music services such as Naxos, which can be listened to at home or on the go (also using the OraStream adaptive rate system) and (2) the BRIO mobile app allows your phone (or other portable device) to work as a streaming music player when on the go, and as a remote control for your PC or Mac-based audio system while at home. The remote control function works with all BRIO sources -- i.e., your locally saved music library as well as any integrated streaming service, like Naxos, you may have subscribed to.

Obviously, if you don't give a hoot for the Naxos label (or not enough to pay ~ US$6.00/month for their streaming service), that would add little value for you; but count me a fan of Naxos. Given that, for users like me the dual-functionality of the BRIO mobile app -- music player while away from home and remote control while at home - is actually among its most interesting selling points. 

On 15/04/2017 at 0:56 AM, oneway23 said:

I do agree with you, to a point.  Personally, I am currently really enjoying MQA and all it offers.  I'm trying to look at this from a broader perspective for the benefit of both OraStream and all our wonderful users here, for a change, as opposed to simply focusing on my own enjoyment - all the rest be damned - such is my usual stance on things.  By the way, I still don't presume to speak for anyone else here.  I want to make that clear!

I guess I'm drawing on the recent discussions around here concerning MQA/loseless/defining loseless, etc., which have been, eh, rather....spirited?  Sure!  Rather spirited...Yup!

Anyway, tired of hearing myself blabber on, as I'm sure others are.  Let's here some other thoughts...Keep 'em coming!

I've added a couple of technical resources about MPEG-4 SLS and OraStream's adaptive audio streaming here if there is interest to find out more.  

@OraStream

1. Do you see a way of use this technology together with Ronn ? 

2. Or is it more likely they should add their own cloud service ?

3. I use Jottacloud. Can I connect this cloud service to your produkt ? Or is it only your cloud service I'm allowed to use ?

4. Can your technology allow me to connect to my private server at home when im away ?

5. And if no. 4 is yes, can it be done by OpenVPN ?

2 hours ago, R1200CL said:

@OraStream

1. Do you see a way of use this technology together with Ronn ? 

2. Or is it more likely they should add their own cloud service ?

3. I use Jottacloud. Can I connect this cloud service to your produkt ? Or is it only your cloud service I'm allowed to use ?

4. Can your technology allow me to connect to my private server at home when im away ?

5. And if no. 4 is yes, can it be done by OpenVPN ?

1. As it is, BRIO can't be used with Roon.

2. I don't have knowledge about Roon's development plan

3. There is no need to use a cloud service in BRIO. When you install BRIO desktop app, it turns the PC/MAC into a server that streams your music library (on the PC/MAC) to another PC or mobile device. Your music library stays in your PC/MAC and is not uploaded to a cloud service. 

4. Yes, that is what the technology does.

5. I do not know if OpenVPN supports port forwarding. You can check in Settings > Brio Desktop > look at Remote and Local Address; if the Remote address is different from Local Address, your home network router has enabled port forwarding. In this case, the BRIO server at home will be able to stream to a remote device (outside the home).

For more information, please visit this link.

• 4 years later...

I just signed up for OraStream and I have high hopes for this solution. I hope someone can clarify something for me: I'm not interested in serving music from a device in my home. I want to upload all my files to Brio and then stream them from the Cloud both at home and on my phone. In this use case, do I have to have a Brio desktop running at home at all times for this strictly Cloud use case? If yes, can someone explain why?

• 3 months later...

" do I have to have a Brio desktop running at home at all times for this strictly Cloud use case? If yes, can someone explain why?"

No, you do not have to have a BRIO desktop running at home to stream uploaded files from cloud library at home and on your phone. Streaming from the cloud library is via CloudFront CDN so you have the best chance of getting streaming in full bit-perfect lossless audio quality. With your BRIO account, take advantage of the 25 GB free cloud storage to upload possibly about 50 favourite CDs and see if the improved access you get from putting your personal music online is works for you. 

Read this to learn about using BRIO's web uploader for batch-uploads to cloud storage: https://brio.orastream.com/pdf/Makes_Music_Sound_Better-2.pdf