IGNORED

Server build based on Kaby Lake for HQPlayer and possibly Roon

mirekti

I plan on building a PC which will be used as a source for my DAC. Initially I planned on doing a fully fanless PC, but due to the HQPlayer's processing requirements I will have to go with Nvidia Pascal which has a fan. Hopefully there is some version which comes with a "silent" fan.

So, I basically made a list of components, but I am not sure if all this will work together and if someone could check the list and/or add any suggestion I would appreciate it. Here we go:

1. Case: Streacom FC5WS EVO

This is a fanless case which supports CPUs with 65W TDP

2. Power supply: HDPLEX HiFi 300W DC-ATX + Dell 330w da330pm111

3. Motherboard: GA-Z270MX-Gaming 5

This board has USB DAC-UP 2 feature which is suppose to have less noise. Not quite sure I understand it, though.

3. CPU: Intel 7th i7-7700T

Has TDP of 35W which could be useful given the size of the case

4. RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR Platinum Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 memory kit (CMD32GX4M2B3000C15)

I randomly selected this one on Amazon. Would you suggest anything else?

5. HD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E1T0B/AM)

Also, randomly selected on Amazon. Should I go with M.2 disk instead?

6. Graphic: One of the Pascal series, either 1060, 1070 or 1080.

I would certainly want to have the one which is most silent.

As the case is fanless would it make sense to remove the fans and add heat sinks or this wouldn't work?

Also, the case specification reads: Riser Card Required. Could someone send me a link what exactly this is?

And this would be it. Am I missing anything here?

Thanks and cheers!!!

Vinnie Rossi LIO (AVC/Tubestage, AMP Module with built in HPF 100Hz 24dB/octave, DAC 2.0), Harbeth P3ESR, Rythmik F8

Win10 i7-7700 -> Roon -> HQPlayer DSD512- > LIO 100Hz HPF -> Harbeth P3ESR

->LIO  -> miniDSP <100Hz -> Rythmik F8  

...I figured out what the riser card was: https://www.amazon.com/PCIE-Micro-Express-Flexible-Extension/dp/B00D79EV0G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1487363784&sr=8-2&keywords=riser+card+pcie

I guess I could use this one or I need to be careful what to order?

Vinnie Rossi LIO (AVC/Tubestage, AMP Module with built in HPF 100Hz 24dB/octave, DAC 2.0), Harbeth P3ESR, Rythmik F8

I plan on building a PC which will be used as a source for my DAC. Initially I planned on doing a fully fanless PC, but due to the HQPlayer's processing requirements I will have to go with Nvidia Pascal which has a fan. Hopefully there is some version which comes with a "silent" fan.

So, I basically made a list of components, but I am not sure if all this will work together and if someone could check the list and/or add any suggestion I would appreciate it. Here we go:

This board has USB DAC-UP 2 feature which is suppose to have less noise. Not quite sure I understand it, though.

4. RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR Platinum Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 memory kit (CMD32GX4M2B3000C15)

As the case is fanless would it make sense to remove the fans and add heat sinks or this wouldn't work?

Also, the case specification reads: Riser Card Required. Could someone send me a link what exactly this is?

Thanks and cheers!!!

If you'll be using USB out for the audio signal builders generally prefer not to use the on-board USB and install a separate USB card (Paul Pang, SoTA, JCAT etc). On board can have a lot of electrical noise.

Why a gaming board and a separate video card? Will this be a dual-purpose rig? If not consider using on board graphics, or run it in a headless mode, controlled from another computer through Remote Desktop or a similar program. A gaming board might not be ideal for an audio PC, some will say it's got too much going on for audio.

Why gaming RAM. Some builders use a slower RAM, or down clock theirs, in the belief it adds less "noise" to the audio output as well.

It looks ok, but I need something slim to fit as it won't fit otherwise.

Maybe latest version 1.3 of Roon does what HQPlayer also does ?

I am not sure it would do it as good as HQPlayer.

If you'll be using USB out for the audio signal builders generally prefer not to use the on-board USB and install a separate USB card (Paul Pang, SoTA, JCAT etc). On board can have a lot of electrical noise.

The idea is to eventually go to some NAA enabled end point like microrendu or sms-200, but for now it will be onboard USB audio.

There will be no room for any other PCI card once the graphic card is in.

Why a gaming board and a separate video card? Will this be a dual-purpose rig? If not consider using on board graphics, or run it in a headless mode, controlled from another computer through Remote Desktop or a similar program. A gaming board might not be ideal for an audio PC, some will say it's got too much going on for audio.

This was the only MBO that had USB "optimized" for DAC, at least that's what they claim.

The graphic card is added to help out the CPU load and keep its temperature low. It will be used as media center as well, but no gaming.

Why gaming RAM. Some builders use a slower RAM, or down clock theirs, in the belief it adds less "noise" to the audio output as well.

That's good information. As written above, I randomly picked this RAM. What RAM would you suggest?

You might want to look into what HQPlayer is all about before you make these suggestions.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Thanks and cheers!!!

I am not sure if a single build warrants, or will garner much notice for the obvious reasons. There is already a thread about HQP with Roon. I'd suggest posting there, or see if Chris could move this there.

Forrest:

Your comment seems irrelevant. Where's your helpful post?

I think the comment is totally relevant. The OP wants to use Roon and HQPlayer and will need horsepower to run HQP's filters and modulators. If you know HQP you know why he is looking at the GPU, etc. and why he wants HQP upsampling and not Roon's.

For the OP... The hardware selections look fine. Make sure the GPU will fit in your case. They all have a fan, too. I don't think there is any way around that. And you may need a bigger power supply.

You will need to consider the O/S. If you know Linux it may be the best sounding. If you stick with Win 10 Pro you may want to consider one of the optimizer programs like Fidelizer or Audiophile Optimizer. There's also a DIY / community optimization thread on CA.

Ultimately your idea for the NAA is the way to go. It's the best sound that I've achieved from my system. The optimizers help calm the software but the electrical noise in the computer takes a lot to get rid of. Just make sure that the NAA you select will play nice with your DAC.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Your comment seems irrelevant.

Other than tell the OP his post isn't necessary, or that it should be moved, where's your helpful post?

Actually, it was you that gave poor advice and I was making that clear to other readers who, like you I assume, may not understand the requirements. The the program specifically off loads to video GPUs and the developer recommends faster RAM for some uses.

Forrest:

Hmm....

I wonder if there is that much difference between HQPlayer and Roon when it come to upsampling.

In my system I prefer using Roon, but I'm only using PCM. So I could remove my PC from the chain.

I don't know if the comparison between Roon an HQPlayer has been addressed in any other thread ?

I know Roon will implement 512 DSD, but if they will add filters similar or equal to HQPlayer I don't know, but it seems like a logical way to proceed.

There are some other new nice functions as well in Roon 1.3.

Mirekti:

Have you tried Roon yet ?

Actually, it was you that gave poor advice and I was making that clear to other readers who, like you I assume, may not understand the requirements. The the program specifically off loads to video GPUs and the developer recommends faster RAM for some uses.

I'll say it again. Your contribution here was worthless.

I'll say it again. Your contribution here was worthless.

Actually it was not. I seem to have irked you. Maybe now you will think twice about offering advice on something you know little about.

Forrest:

Gentlemen, please.

Thank you for the advice. Few more comments/questions from my side.

Power supply: Per CoolMaster's Power Supply Calcluator the system will use 285W with 90%TDP (using GTX 1070). Given the fact this PC wont be used for gaming, but music and video only I assume this will be ok. Dell's brick is 330W and HDPLEX 300W Hi-Fi DC-ATX can sustain 400W peaks.

I am only not sure how will the brick behave working close to it's limits, is there any more powerful one?

Graphic card will be set in its silent mode i.e. no OC. The issue is, nothing bigger would fit the F5 case.

Also, i7-7700T has configurable TDP to 25W @1.9Ghz so this might help as well, but not sure how much impact to HQPlayer and system in general will have 1.9GHz vs 2.9GHz

I am open for other MBO and RAM suggestions in case my choice was poor. Like, is it better to go 4x8Gb or 2x16?

For example, I micro ITX could be a better choice, and something with dual Ethernet ports (one dedicated to NAA in future), but wasn't able to find it with Z270 chipset.

I don't know if the comparison between Roon an HQPlayer has been addressed in any other thread ?

A quote from here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=631754

HQP upsampling is way better than Roon PCM-->DSD conversion (not even close) to my ears. Processing speed was showing 1.8 to 2.1x in Roon, with HQP doing the upsampling, the processing speed in Roon is showing 1023x-1074x(!).

PS: I have not tried Roon yet. My plan is to set the PC up and then have enough time to evaluate Roon in the trial period.

Gentlemen, please.

Thank you for the advice. Few more comments/questions from my side.

Power supply: Per CoolMaster's Power Supply Calcluator the system will use 285W with 90%TDP (using GTX 1070). Given the fact this PC wont be used for gaming, but music and video only I assume this will be ok. Dell's brick is 330W and HDPLEX 300W Hi-Fi DC-ATX can sustain 400W peaks.

I am only not sure how will the brick behave working close to it's limits, is there any more powerful one?

Graphic card will be set in its silent mode i.e. no OC. The issue is, nothing bigger would fit the F5 case.

Also, i7-7700T has configurable TDP to 25W @1.9Ghz so this might help as well, but not sure how much impact to HQPlayer and system in general will have 1.9GHz vs 2.9GHz

I am open for other MBO and RAM suggestions in case my choice was poor. Like, is it better to go 4x8Gb or 2x16?

For example, I micro ITX could be a better choice, and something with dual Ethernet ports (one dedicated to NAA in future), but wasn't able to find it with Z270 chipset.

Some suggestions.

For the power supply it is NOT just how much power it supplies but how quite it is. And by that I mean by its electrical noise. There is a site that rates them but at the moment I can not recall. Here is the link to the SeaSonic that was, at the time, the top choice.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151097

If possible I would stay away from the brick.

On the i7 7700T. I am concerned it will have the processing power to do ALL what HQP has to offer. NOT the chip its self but that you are using the T version and then might under-clock it. The K version will work very well and the 77000 should be fine. I know this changes the TDP.

I would not use the T version. Go with the standard 7700 if you can not use the K version.

For RAM do not go with 4x8 over 2x16. But as of now 16GB is plenty for both HQP and Roon together. It is more about the processing speed. And you can always add more RAM later. So go with 2x8GB for now.

I would also try and find a board with dual Ethernet ports and both USB2 and USB3.

Look, I wish we ALL, that includes me, would stop picking the case first and then trying to fit, cram, everything into it. We should pick all the other pieces and THEN find the case that works. Even if that case is ugly or what have you. You should put the case aside for now and find ALL the right parts for the job. Then find a case. There are a LOT of cases to choose from out there.

As for Roon vs HQP. It is not a contest. HQP is MUCH MORE powerful. IF you are trying to get the BEST sound then go with HQP but use Roon as the GUI with HQP.

I am sure in some systems one might not hear the difference. But if you have a really good system and you can not hear a difference then it is something other then HQP vs Roon with up-sampling.

I hope that helps and good luck.

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

Here is the best ever rated ATX power supply from JohnnyGuru. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151160&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&ignorebbr=1&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

At $200, it rated a 10 out of 10 in this review.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=487

I'm running a 1600 watt EVGA titanium $450 and love it, but now that the Seasonic is available, I'd try one of those.

Get an LPS1 to power a hard disk, and you are done.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Here is the best ever rated ATX power supply from JohnnyGuru. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151160&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&ignorebbr=1&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

At $200, it rated a 10 out of 10 in this review.

Seasonic Prime 850W Review

I'm running a 1600 watt EVGA titanium $450 and love it, but now that the Seasonic is available, I'd try one of those.

Get an LPS1 to power a hard disk, and you are done.

+1

Yep Larry, yu da man! That is the site I could not recall and Larry is the one that turned me on to it.

I with Larrys help, more Larry less me, built our own purpose built audio only PC last June. At first we planed on using the 400W Seasonic but the the EVGA came across and we went with that. Again great advise by Larry.

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

Wait a few weeks. AMD Ryzen chips will be out soon and could be ideal for HQP. The lineup includes a 8c/16t chip with a 65w TDP. That could be run fanless, and if leaked benchmarks are anywhere close to true, would be plenty powerful to do any HQP upsampling sans GPU (if performance matches leaked tests, the 65 TDP Ryzen 1700 will be considerably more capable than the Intel 7700k when it comes to HQP, and the 7700k is plenty fast enough already).

In regards to the GPU, the ones you listed are too hot to passively cool, but even if a passive 1050 is released (I expect there will be), you won't be able to use a passively cooled one. Your case is the heatsink for your CPU, the graphics card will dump heat into the case. You'd need a blower type cooler that exhausts the heat. You might be fine with that though, because HQP doesn't tax the GPU that much, so it wouldn't have to spin up very much.

But, as I said, I'd wait and see how Ryzen pans out, GPU may be unnecessary.

The OP says he ultimately wants to use a NAA. Don't get me wrong, I'm far from an expert, I always thought the PC in that case can be as noisy as can be (electricly) without infuancing the sound from the NAA.

This is correct. The main purpose is to use it as a music server and eventually go with NAA.

Then why not go that route at once. It will save you tweeking the pc (I've red audiophile USB cards, better sounding operating systems, fancy power supplies). Put the saved money in a microrendu, sms200 or even a raspberry pi 3 (To me the case makes sence though, if you want to put it in sight and need passive cooling. Almost any mb will do, pick one with double lan ports, it can even be a micro atx or mini itx to save space. Power it by a pico psu and switching power supply. If you want to clean up the whole signal path later you can always upgrade the switching for a linear.

Then why not go that route at once...

Well, the NAA end device I am awaiting is planned to be a part of Vinnie Rossi's LIO integrated amp, but the module is not developed yet and not sure when it's going to be ready (if at all).

So at this moment, I am trying to skip MR and sMS-200 and going with USB only audio.

Having NAA as a module in LIO means it will be powered by "clean" power so I can remove two items from the chain external NAA and external linear power for that NAA.

If you check my original post, all goes in that direction: small DC ATX module for the case, brick power supply, but "good" processor and GPU so the PC can handle HQPlayer and possibly Roon for GUI interface.

While waiting for the NAA module, I though I could get away with relatively good USB source on the motherboard (if such exists).

Anyhow, the main goal was to build a server based on Kaby Lake (now I'll wait to see what AMD will offer) which is capable of handling HQPlayer and Roon, yet keep the "small" form factor and put it in the living room.I hope this makes more sense now.

Mirekti:

Maybe you find this interesting in how to plan things.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-optimized-core-kit-previously-reported-as-roon-os/14175/113?u=r1200cl

And this

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-optimized-core-kit-previously-reported-as-roon-os/14175/191?u=r1200cl

About Roon trail.

Those people are very nice when it comes to support, and trail.

I think if you ask for a extended period or splitting your trial up or whatever, you will be heard.

So what I'm saying, don't let your build stop you from testing Roon upfront.

Well, the NAA end device I am awaiting is planned to be a part of Vinnie Rossi's LIO integrated amp, but the module is not developed yet and not sure when it's going to be ready (if at all).

So at this moment, I am trying to skip MR and sMS-200 and going with USB only audio.

Having NAA as a module in LIO means it will be powered by "clean" power so I can remove two items from the chain external NAA and external linear power for that NAA.

For around $1k you could be enjoying a microRendu and Uptone LPS1 giving ROON a really good shake out with your system, off grid!

For me it's a no brainer - the black hole and never ending obsession (not to mention expense) over computer components, OS maintenance / tweaking, etc. versus listening to music and relaxing ... also bear in mind that dedicated components like microRendu and LPS1 are far, far easier to resell and upgrade. But then I've spent too many years working in technology and like music / HiFi as an escape from that.

YMMV