IGNORED

Mytek customer support unimpressive

• 4 weeks later...

Mytek was very gracious and offered me a similar DAC as a replacement with no charges. Further to their credit, it turns out there was nothing wrong with my DAC which they tested extensively and found nothing wrong with. The new DAC didn't solve my problem, pointing to a problem somewhere else in my signal chain which I found and fixed. It was an unstable rotary dial on my vintage MacIntosh preamp, which created crawling and dropped signal similar to a faulty digital connection, thence my never suspecting it could be an analog issue away from the DAC.

So I apologize to Mytek for all the trouble created as their hardware is absolutely not at fault, and I thank them and Michal for graciously offering a new replacement unit even though he proved my unit to be functioning on his bench testing.

Thank you Mytek!!!

• 6 months later...

Agree. Their pre-purchase support is just awful. I ordered the new Brooklyn Amp, paid the amount and have yet to hear from them on shipment dates! Sent them 3 emails over the past 2 weeks and it would seem to have fallen into a black hole!

Compared to their other (similar equipment) competitor, Mytek falls very short in service. Beginning to regret ordering the kit from them. 

I've seen no mention anywhere that Mytek has shipped the Brooklyn AMP to anyone.

Have they been collecting customer's pre-paid orders since mid-year? 

I've encountered similar indifference to my inquiries about the amp I have ordered.

Qobuz via Aurender N10 > Devialet Expert Pro > Audio Physic Avantera

It may well seem they are collecting pre-paid orders. Their web page clearly states the product is "currently shipping". Only on that basis did I place an order and paid for it. The least one would expect is an indication on when it will be shipped. Going incommunicado only serves to tarnish their image. 

Customer support aside, it's the way Mytek generally have been handling what is obviously a problem with manufacturing the AMP that I find extremely disappointing. I ordered and paid for the AMP many weeks ago, very much relying on the "in stock" and "shipping now" info on their webpage. Last time I heard from Mytek they said there were delays in production but that the AMP would ship "next week". That was three weeks ago. And the webpage still claims it's in stock and "shipping now". That's no way to treat existing or potential customers. hadn't I been so intrigued by this little power amplifier and Mytek's claims about it I would have demanded my money back a long time ago. It will not be long before I do anyway.

I bought a Mytek Brooklyn, and there was some confusion over its delivery.

I left a message and quickly got a return call.  I explained the problem, and

it was noted that I live in Brooklyn.  I was asked about the nearest subway

stop and a person from Mytek showed up with my DAC under arm.  I thought

that was excellent service.

Too bad I live a few thousand miles from Brooklyn, with no subway stop.

The Computer Audiophile forwarded a Mytek press release during last weekend's RMAF that stated the Brooklyn AMP "is now shipping in quantity."

We'll see.

Qobuz via Aurender N10 > Devialet Expert Pro > Audio Physic Avantera

7 hours ago, Veovis said:

Well, as I said I too had a "good reply" over three weeks ago but still no cigar. Regardless how this finally turns out I'll probably never bother with Mytek again and will advice others against it too.

Not long ago, I purchased a Mytek product via a web purchase.  There were delays and missteps in the overall fulfillment, and the product ended up in my hands after a longer time than Michal of Mytek or myself would have expected.  During the course of things, Michal and I traded e-mails and there were a couple of phone calls that Michal initiated.  Through it all Michal bent over backward in his attention to my specific situation, and he and his company absorbed costs that, while likely reasonable costs as part of running a professional company, were never quibbled over by Michal and Mytek...and what Michal took on and covered exceeded my expectations.

If you are looking for quick gratification, go where it makes sense to you.  But if are looking for exceedingly high quality equipment, that is designed by one of the best designers/engineers currently in the business, equipment you will use and maybe even treasure for a good while, Michal and Mytek have that down.

Talking of inventory issues! There only needs to be a shortage of even the simplest component that holds up the whole production. Your order placed with Mytek depends on their supplier, supplying, well sometimes supplier's promises are all fluff with no substance. To add salt in the wound, the supplier ultimately delivers the promised parts, three weeks late, a 0.01 uF capacitor by the thousands, and the order was for 0.001 uF. Or the first run boards don't work, a semiconductor is out of spec compared to the sample and the boards are already assembled, get out the rework stamp, again. It's not easy to trace a problem, engineering might take a 'while' to find the real cause. Who pays? Well was the order clear enough, now the lawyers get involved, more headaches. QA issues! 

Manufacturing audio like a DAC is complex with hundreds of parts and hundreds of supplier's promises with the headaches that belong with that. Assembling a DAC, provided all the parts 'work' and are ready to fit, doesn't take that long, it's then tested, packed and gone to the customer.

Just seeing the cartons on the trucks in the loading bays is the ultimate goal, but getting to that stage is a battle that's seems unwinnable.

Customers will receive their orders. Eventually.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

1 hour ago, bubbamike said:

Very good reviews have probably led to an unexpected amount of orders that they were  not prepared to have to deal with. A small company with inventory issues is nothing new in audio. Hopefully they will fulfill the orders and the equipment will meet expectations.

I'm aware that Mytek is a small business and that things may go wrong. No problem. It's the fact that they list a product as in stock and shipping now before even having produced a single AMP that's the problem. I think they deserve critisism for that and they have noone but themselves to blame for it. If you need to know how many units to build, you take preorders and are open about it. If you sell a product and take immediate payment without having units to ship you put "awaiting stock" or something on the webpage. Simple as that, small company or big.

I know Michal and Co are nice people that otherwise do a good job. I defended them earlier in this thread.:)

edit: Where have you read reviews? I haven't seen any at all.

Inventory, under-stock, etc. may well seem as reasons or explanations, but what is missing is simply, communications, i.e. communicating with the customer. Being truthful is all that is required, e.g. just provide a brief statement and indicative date.

Serious audiophiles, as much as they may be disappointed, are generally a reasonable bunch and may stomach a delay or hiccup if communicated to. However, adopting a 'radio' silence' approach is not the way to go!

I’ve commented on my not so great RMA experience in the Brooklyn thread... but I did and still do attribute it to Mytek being a stretched thin operation. Remember that last weekend was RMAF and I did see Michal at the booth.

I do wish they would be more communicative and friendlier though. Other vendors offer tours and even advice to non customers out of their enthusiasm for audio and wanting to share.... while not unhappy per se, my next DAC will likely take into consideration the ability to get answers, even if I end up asking questions to which I may already know the answers, as a proxy for customer responsiveness. 

4 minutes ago, bubbamike said:

Stereophile, Hifi News etc.

I (and others in the later part of this thread) have been talking about the Brooklyn AMP, not the DAC (which I already have in my system). Haven't heard about anyone getting the AMP and no reviews that I can find. You sure?

2 hours ago, Veovis said:

I (and others in the later part of this thread) have been talking about the Brooklyn AMP, not the DAC (which I already have in my system). Haven't heard about anyone getting the AMP and no reviews that I can find. You sure?

Apparently my mistake, but I don't think I'm the only one here with that same issue. Apologies.

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another week has gone by and another email chaser left unanswered. All I received thus far is an open ticket from UPS stating it has been opened upon Mytek's request and no delivery date provided. Communications, the lack of it remains a sore point. A bitter lesson for me is not to pay in advance of delivery! Quite silly of me.

• 6 months later...

Should’ve checked this thread before pulling the trigger on a Brooklyn DAC+, paid in full, in advance. Complete and utter radio silence despite multiple e mails to multiple Mytek accounts. 

Have asked for a refund, by e mail! Will wait to see if that escapes the Mytek e mail purgatory!

This is truly unprecedented for me. I have shipped a lot of gear to Singapore over the years, and it’s never ever been this bad.