IGNORED

How much should I pay for these old looking set of Acoustic Research speakers?

Hello,

I recently got a new computer and realized that they did not have any speakers in them. I have set of apple ear pods that i usually use but sometime i don't feel like wearing them so I went looking of a set of second hand speakers.

I stumbled this set of Acoustic Research speakers somewhere and they look like a decent set of headphones, but i'm not sure if i should get them because they are pretty old. I'm not sure what model it is either do any of you recognize it? I also read somewhere that Acoustic Research made high end equipment but was told that it was 12 years old so i'm not too sure how much long it will last. Some others that i have asked have said that it looked like it was 30 years old which make me a bit more pessimistic.

the seller said: "Speakers are in good condition but do have a few small marks. All speaker drivers are working well. Connected to a phone the speakers sound great."

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

What is the model/sku of these speakers?

How much should this set of they worth?

How much longer should they last?

Should i get them?

Are they even good?

So many questions, i know, sorry about that. I'm not really an audiophile so my what seems like a nice set of speakers may not actually be nice. Please let me know if they are not.

Thankyou

Hello,

I recently got a new computer and realized that they did not have any speakers in them. I have set of apple ear pods that i usually use but sometime i don't feel like wearing them so I went looking of a set of second hand speakers.

I stumbled this set of Acoustic Research speakers somewhere and they look like a decent set of headphones, but i'm not sure if i should get them because they are pretty old. I'm not sure what model it is either do any of you recognize it? I also read somewhere that Acoustic Research made high end equipment but was told that it was 12 years old so i'm not too sure how much long it will last. Some others that i have asked have said that it looked like it was 30 years old which make me a bit more pessimistic.

the seller said: "Speakers are in good condition but do have a few small marks. All speaker drivers are working well. Connected to a phone the speakers sound great."

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33234[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33235[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33233[/ATTACH]

Should i get them?

Are they even good?

So many questions, i know, sorry about that. I'm not really an audiophile so my what seems like a nice set of speakers may not actually be nice. Please let me know if they are not.

Thankyou

I guess you actually have not hear them, and you cannot do it until you have bought them, so if you don't like them you will not have any way to get your money back.

I won't (but this only my opinion) buy the speakers, not because they're old (old gear can sound really good), but because I refuse "blind purchases" in general.

I don't know what actually do you expect from computer dedicated speakers and what is the budget you have to expend in them.

For this pair, I would not pay more than $ 50-60, to be true.

VenturaRV

Hello,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33234[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33235[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33233[/ATTACH]

Should i get them?

Are they even good?

Thankyou

Do you want speakers or do you want music? Bump your budget up to $300 and get something you will enjoy for many years like the Klipsch Powered Monitors.

New computer + new sound system (this is an entire system, speakers, amps, dacs. everything you need) = happy camper. Just plug in via USB and you are done.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01A7J534G/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

I guess you actually have not hear them, and you cannot do it until you have bought them, so if you don't like them you will not have any way to get your money back.

I won't (but this only my opinion) buy the speakers, not because they're old (old gear can sound really good), but because I refuse "blind purchases" in general.

I don't know what actually do you expect from computer dedicated speakers and what is the budget you have to expend in them.

For this pair, I would not pay more than $ 50-60, to be true.

VenturaRV

My budget for these speakers would be around $50 for these speakers(They are going on auction starting and 25) and i'm not very sure what i am looking for, but i would like them to be around the same quality as my apple ear pods. Will they be?

My budget for these speakers would be around $50 for these speakers(They are going on auction starting and 25) and i'm not very sure what i am looking for, but i would like them to be around the same quality as my apple ear pods. Will they be?

This is the problem.

You (and me) actually don't, and cannot, know if their sound worth its price, so a "blind purchase".

A starting $25 point in the auction seems to me high, and it can easily grow up or even surpass your budget.

To be honest, if I were you, I'd renounce to them. You're taking the risk of waste your money in a deceptive purchase.

I do really think you'll better consider seriously Witchdoctor advice.

VenturaRV

As to there age, the fact that everything is plastic these days, and the front panel appears to be metal says 2 things.

i) These are old, old, old.

ii) Old items were made better than anything equivalent now. However just because they were better made doesn't mean they are better sonically than newer ones, but it's hopeful for sure.

A buy it now at $25 would be fine I think, but these are not the classic 'AR' speakers of old, these are old, branded computer speakers.

As to there age, the fact that everything is plastic these days, and the front panel appears to be metal says 2 things.

i) These are old, old, old.

ii) Old items were made better than anything equivalent now. However just because they were better made doesn't mean they are better sonically than newer ones, but it's hopeful for sure.

A buy it now at $25 would be fine I think, but these are not the classic 'AR' speakers of old, these are old, branded computer speakers.

The front panel is not actually metal, its some "thick polymer material". Does that change your age evaluation?

The front panel is not actually metal, its some "thick polymer material". Does that change your age evaluation?

A little research on the Internet date these speakers to 1986 -> 1989. The model was released in 1986. And AR was no longer 'Teledyne' in 1989":

n 1967, Acoustic Research was bought by Teledyne, Inc., and for the next 22 years it continued development and operations in Cambridge as Teledyne Acoustic Research. Technological breakthroughs in this period included the high-current amplifier. When purchased by Teledyne, AR was the world's second largest supplier of branded loudspeakers. Although Acoustic Research had continued in product development, by 1989 AR had dropped to fifth place worldwide, and Teledyne sold the company to their major competitor, Jensen Electronics. In 1996, Jensen, including AR, was sold to Recoton Audio Corporation.

Posts on various forums around 2006 still talk lovingly about them, though they often needed new foam surrounds for the 4" bass driver back then. Basically they are oldies, but good in their day.