IGNORED

Sonore - Product Request Thread

Yes, the SPDIF is of course an option. Problem is that SPDIF on the Devialet amps is not quite as good as the AES/EBU input. They are using RCA connectors, not BNC, for example. I was afraid I wouldn't get full benefit from the quality of the SSR.

It might have been great with the SPDIF from the Signature Series Rendu. We sell a Cardas BNC to RCA SPDIF cable. Anyway, you didn't try it so the world will never know.

I didn't go through the whole thread so I apologize if this was already asked.

Are there any rumors on microrendu upgrade i.e. will there be a newer version any time soon?

Vinnie Rossi LIO (AVC/Tubestage, AMP Module with built in HPF 100Hz 24dB/octave, DAC 2.0), Harbeth P3ESR, Rythmik F8

Win10 i7-7700 -> Roon -> HQPlayer DSD512- > LIO 100Hz HPF -> Harbeth P3ESR

->LIO  -> miniDSP <100Hz -> Rythmik F8  

I didn't go through the whole thread so I apologize if this was already asked.

Are there any rumors on microrendu upgrade i.e. will there be a newer version any time soon?

Do you have any suggestion what such an upgrade should have ?

If you wait until next Black Friday, you can have a black one [emoji3]

(But you will have to purchase it in a bundle with something else).

Do you have any suggestion what such an upgrade should have ?

No per se, but it is hard to imagine nothing new comes out in audio world.

Vinnie Rossi LIO (AVC/Tubestage, AMP Module with built in HPF 100Hz 24dB/octave, DAC 2.0), Harbeth P3ESR, Rythmik F8

No per se, but it is hard to imagine nothing new comes out in audio world.

I think the MicroRendu does exactly what it shall do. If you add other hardware options to it like other digital interfaces, it will more be a new product than an upgrade. And other interfaces may have other restrictions as well.

Maybe you could have a version with no USB power. Or a switch for Vbus, but will it benefit enough for such an upgrade or downgrade ?

Or add an EMO interface on the network, or have dual network for bridging, or an extra USB input for a USB SSD ?

You can get some of this on the new i7 SonicTransporter, so I can't imagine what an upgrade could be.

Just buy one before price go up [emoji3]

But the sw may have upgrades, as it had before.

Question for Sonore & John Swenson: I'm happy with my microRendu + LPS-1 sources for my Schiit DACs, but I'm wondering why not have a microRendu version with a S/PDIF coax output rather than USB for the many high-quality DACs that can take that input. Not enough of a market? Something else, more on the technical side? Inquiring minds and all that...

Question for Sonore & John Swenson: I'm happy with my microRendu + LPS-1 sources for my Schiit DACs, but I'm wondering why not have a microRendu version with a S/PDIF coax output rather than USB for the many high-quality DACs that can take that input. Not enough of a market? Something else, more on the technical side? Inquiring minds and all that...

The short answer is that it would cost a lot more money and would require a larger case.

One issue is drivers, USB audio out is built in to the kernel, S/PDIF is not, it would require custom driver development (which adds to the cost).

Another issue is clocking, the USB subsystem runs at the same frequency as the main iMX6 processor, but S/PDIF requires an audio sample frequency generation system, which can be done with the PLLs in the processor, but that does not produce a really good clock. Doing a REALLY good clock for S/PDIF is WAY more expensive and complicated.

So yep, it could be done, but the cost would be a lot more than you probably expect (to do it REALLY well, I'm simply not going to do a so-so product).

John S.

Crow founding John ?

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Not every company is interested in crowd funding.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Earnmyturns, no need for crowd funding. It seems to me that the Sonore Signature Rendu is exactly what you are looking for. Am I missing something? I believe John had his hand in its design as well.

Not exactly. Need to use LPS-1 power. And probably the SonicOrbiter OS, so it would have RAAT and all those other nice features.

Maybe dual or triple network plugs. (Act like a switch to your SonicTransporter, and Internet). AES/EBU also. Maybe some indicator for sample rate.

Isn't this a product that has been discontinued?

Quite expensive as well. I was hoping if you could sell around 1000 pieces, the price could be under $999 [emoji3]

If we could find enough people commit to purchase, maybe John can have a prototype ready for CES 2018.

Edit:

Seems something going on here:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonore-product-request-thread-31583/

The short answer is that it would cost a lot more money and would require a larger case.

One issue is drivers, USB audio out is built in to the kernel, S/PDIF is not, it would require custom driver development (which adds to the cost).

Another issue is clocking, the USB subsystem runs at the same frequency as the main iMX6 processor, but S/PDIF requires an audio sample frequency generation system, which can be done with the PLLs in the processor, but that does not produce a really good clock. Doing a REALLY good clock for S/PDIF is WAY more expensive and complicated.

So yep, it could be done, but the cost would be a lot more than you probably expect (to do it REALLY well, I'm simply not going to do a so-so product).

John S.

I run a Devialet amp, which sounds best fed via AES/EBU. However, my solution is simple, I use the mR, and run this via USB to a Mutec MC3+USB. This both converts to the preferred AES/EBU and adds the benefit of decent re-clocking. I tried many different 'front end' solutions for the Devialet last year, and I reckon the mR+Mutec combo is unbeatable below £5k, and perhaps very close to the £7K Aurender N10. (with much better functionality than the N10, unless you love the Conductor app) This does lead to a question though. In this set-up, I am 'converting' to USB simply to convert again to AES/EBU. (other DAC users could use the Mutec to run 75ohm S/PDIF) The question is, how much of an improvement could be obtained by skipping the 'unnecessary' USB stage? Looking at the current market, the new dCS Network Bridge offers Ethernet to AES/EBU, although this is over five times the cost of the mR, and indeed not far off twice the price of a mR+LPS-1+Mutec combination. Does the dCS's inherent design offer the chance it might ultimately be better though?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

I think the MicroRendu does exactly what it shall do...

I am not complaining, I don't even have one, but was considering it. Why upgrade? I found this:

None of the above. There is a lot more the microRendu is capable of doing so we are looking at new features. We are also looking at producing a matching USB to i2s or USB to SPDIF converter.

By matching you mean a complementary new product on separate case? I think a modular approach with plug in cards in a single chassis would be great...

None of the above. There is a lot more the microRendu is capable of doing so we are looking at new features. We are also looking at producing a matching USB to i2s or USB to SPDIF converter.

By matching you mean a complementary new product on separate case? I think a modular approach with plug in cards in a single chassis would be great...

I'd vote for a new product in a separate box/case.

Also, isn't the mRendu already small (too small) to be plugged in with a new card?

Let every eye ear negotiate for itself and trust no agent. (Shakespeare)

The things that we love tell us what we are. (Aquinas)

I think if you look at John Swenson's answer to why the mR doesn't have SPDIF, you will get an answer for why it will probably be a product in a separate case.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I run a Devialet amp, which sounds best fed via AES/EBU. However, my solution is simple, I use the mR, and run this via USB to a Mutec MC3+USB.

I know this hobby goes against common sense, but interposing a bulky, expensive, multifunction Mutec between a teeny microRendu and a DAC is one step too far for me (not to mention my wife who is already a bit tired of all the audio gear disfiguring our living room. She loves the sound, though ;)). I hypothesize that John S. could design a USB>S/PDIF coax converter with an excellent clock that works beautifully with the microRendu and is much smaller and cheaper than the Mutec. Both powered by the same LPS-1. Dreaming, I know...

I think if you look at John Swenson's answer to why the mR doesn't have SPDIF, you will get an answer for why it will probably be a product in a separate case.

Which again would require another LPS-1.

And another USB cable.

Which lead to why not just purchase the Mutec

I was hoping in one case.

Is there any possibility there will be a future Ethernet to AES/EBU converter designed by John ?

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Going from SPDIF to AES/EBU just means adding more parts to the signal path on both ends. Those parts change the voltage level and impedance and do nothing to make playback sound better. The connectors and cables have to be 110 ohms which the connectors are not and most of the cables are not. Also, some gear has AES/EBU inputs and they are just converting back to SPDIF internally.

Warning...I'm going to be blunt here: Adding other digital outputs to the microRendu seems like a waste of our time. There are so many USB to digital converts on the market that it's two steps forward and three steps backwards. We are a small company and we need to focus on moving forward.

Jesus - not sure what you want to accomplish with this thread.

You're clearly not ready to share your product roadmap, and it appears that you don't like any of the product enhancements proposed here.

Maybe if you gave us some parameters under which to propose enhancements? Or better yet, share what you can about your plans.

Or just tell us to wait for some period of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Jesus - not sure what you want to accomplish with this thread.

You're clearly not ready to share your product roadmap, and it appears that you don't like any of the product enhancements proposed here.

Maybe if you gave us some parameters under which to propose enhancements? Or better yet, share what you can about your plans.

Or just tell us to wait for some period of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

First of all...I would like to think that this is your thread not mine. Second, I would also like to think that everyone benefits from understanding why we do or don't do certain things. There are some things I don't want to talk about, but so far no one has asked about them;) I gave my point of view...I don't see a SPDIF or AES/EBU output as an enhancement. We made a SPDIF BNC and i2s HDMI output and everyone said we should make a USB output. Now people are interested in SPDIF BNC and i2s HDMI again...go figure. If we are going to invest in another run of the SSR I'm not going to reinvent the wheel and add AES/EBU for the reasons mentioned above and also so we can continue to work on things we are interested in doing next.