IGNORED

HQ Player I have a confession

rapp

Hi All

Am thinking of getting HQ Player (I have used Pure Music for a long time). My confession is that having just read through the manual, I didn't really follow it very well. It's obviously immensely powerful software. And judging from the manual it's not meant to be set-and-forget. Are there folks out there, like me, who aren't really versed in this stuff who successfully use HQplayer? Is there a friendlier manual out there somewhere to help users like me get the most out of the software?

Many thanks

Steven

Hi All

Am thinking of getting HQ Player (I have used Pure Music for a long time). My confession is that having just read through the manual, I didn't really follow it very well. It's obviously immensely powerful software. And judging from the manual it's not meant to be set-and-forget. Are there folks out there, like me, who aren't really versed in this stuff who successfully use HQplayer? Is there a friendlier manual out there somewhere to help users like me get the most out of the software?

Many thanks

Steven

There's a bit of a learning curve and then it can be set and forget. Depends on you.

I played with some different choices of filters and modulators and it quickly became apparent what i prefered. Now I just stick with that.

Some users change filters acc'd to the type of music; that is too fiddly for me - I just use what "generall sounds best to me" and forget about it. I occasionally experiment, especially if a new filter is added. But for me it is basically set and forget.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

There's a bit of a learning curve and then it can be set and forget. Depends on you.

I played with some different choices of filters and modulators and it quickly became apparent what i prefered. Now I just stick with that.

Some users change filters acc'd to the type of music; that is too fiddly for me - I just use what "generall sounds best to me" and forget about it. I occasionally experiment, especially if a new filter is added. But for me it is basically set and forget.

+1 Don't be discouraged in your efforts to listen through HQplayer. Give us some info and we can help...dac model, type of music files (meaning format and sample rates), etc.

+1

It took me a few hours of reading the manual (which I rarely do), research on sampling rates and DoP, and finally, experimentation to achieve the results that people rave about. Earlier versions didn't have the sweeping progress indicator, and I initially thought the software just didn't work.

It was all worth the effort. There is no other software on earth that does what HQPlayer does.

This may be a bit off topic, but given the significant addition of new filters in version 1.15, is there an updated discussion anywhere of the various filter and upsampling settings?

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

I think you can try it for free for awhile. After loading up trial, throwing some music into window.....I just drop and drag. It played fine, even upsampled to my dacs limit. Interface is all windows with pull down menus. I don't understand much of the processing alternatives but it sounds great without any fiddling.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

+1 Don't be discouraged in your efforts to listen through HQplayer. Give us some info and we can help...dac model, type of music files (meaning format and sample rates), etc.

Music files stored on Glyph HDD (1.6 TB of AIFF in iTunes library)

17” MacBook Pro, El Capitan, 256 GB SSD, 8GB memory

McIntosh DAC (D-150)

Please let me know whatever else you need.

One other thing – HQplayer only gives Mac users 30 mins to try out their software. To me this is absurd.

All Best

S

Hi All

Many thanks

Steven

I would say it is set and forget for the most part. You'll have to decide what filters sound better with your system, or whether upsampling everything to DSD is better than PCM->PCM for example. But once you've chosen what it is you like I would say you're done.

The manual is complex because the software is complex. There's a quick guide somewhere and that's what I would recommend.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

I would say it is set and forget for the most part. You'll have to decide what filters sound better with your system, or whether upsampling everything to DSD is better than PCM->PCM for example. But once you've chosen what it is you like I would say you're done.

The manual is complex because the software is complex. There's a quick guide somewhere and that's what I would recommend.

A few more points...

HQPlayer works VERY reliably with Roon. So you can get the best library software together with the best upsampling player out there, and control it all seamlessly through the Roon remote. It just works.

Roon's current version (v1.3) includes upsampling as well, but in my system it does not match the quality of HQPlayer.

Finally, HQPlayer support NAA, which is a robust way to send data to your DAC over the network. If you use a microRendu or similar, you can have your computer elsewhere and send upsampled music to your DAC over the network.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Music files stored on Glyph HDD (1.6 TB of AIFF in iTunes library)

17” MacBook Pro, El Capitan, 256 GB SSD, 8GB memory

McIntosh DAC (D-150)

Please let me know whatever else you need.

One other thing – HQplayer only gives Mac users 30 mins to try out their software. To me this is absurd.

All Best

S

Try these settings and set AUTO for everything on main screen. Then when a PCM track plays it will choose 353k for 44k based stuff and 384k for 48k based stuff. Same with DSD if upsampling PCM (5.6Mhz for 44k based stuff and 6.1Mhz for 48k based stuff). If you don't want HQP to bother upsampling DSD-based stuff then go to DSF/DFF settings and check DirectSDM. Otherwise DSD will upsample to these higher rates too (which is fine to try but may be cpu eaters).

D150.png

All Best

S

No, it's not because there is no apparent limit on the number of times you can run it (much better than the 30 day limit on Windows, which caused me to pay for a license before I was ready to do so).

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Hi All

Many thanks

Steven

There is a kick start guide here on CA.

You have PM.

352k of course, not 353. I hate that the editor times out, even when no response is sent.

Apologies for thread jacking but I have always wondered - my DAC has clocks from the 22.X/24.X family so it can accept only up to 20/192 signal. I can change the clocks to go up but that will be on the very expensive side because the only comparable clocks are the Pulsar clocks. Is it worth it? I have a pretty powerful computer that can handle the most difficult setting on HQplayer but is it worth it to go up in sampling rate, what would I gain? TIA

A few more points...

HQPlayer works VERY reliably with Roon. So you can get the best library software together with the best upsampling player out there, and control it all seamlessly through the Roon remote. It just works.

Roon's current version (v1.3) includes upsampling as well, but in my system it does not match the quality of HQPlayer.

Finally, HQPlayer support NAA, which is a robust way to send data to your DAC over the network. If you use a microRendu or similar, you can have your computer elsewhere and send upsampled music to your DAC over the network.

+1 for all of these points. I run Roon and HQP together on a very basic MacMini (i5, 1.4GHz, 4gig memory) and then use HQP's NAA mode to stream to a uRendu over ethernet. The ADSM7 modulator suits my ear and I can even get poly-sinc-xtr to work with the -2s variant selected. Sounds fantastic and its set and forget. I use Roon as the front end.

It's a killer combo and you will love it!

Nikko

• 1 year later...

Hi, I'm sure this has been asked before, but I fail to find the answer...can someone familiar with Linux tell me how to install NAA on a debian system?  It's a clean install, so please let me know (with instructions) what prerequisites I'll need as well such as libasound etc.  Thank you so much!  I can't use one of the premade images because I am trying to reuse one of my old Wandboard Quads.  Thanks!

3 hours ago, Hammer said:

Hi, I'm sure this has been asked before, but I fail to find the answer...can someone familiar with Linux tell me how to install NAA on a debian system?  It's a clean install, so please let me know (with instructions) what prerequisites I'll need as well such as libasound etc.  Thank you so much!  I can't use one of the premade images because I am trying to reuse one of my old Wandboard Quads. 

It should be pretty straightforward, you first "dpkg -i" the networkaudiod package and then "apt install -f" the dependencies and complete the package install/configuration.

Then you can use standard "systemctl" to deal with the networkaudiod service.

I assume you are trying to use standard Debian 9 (Stretch) on Wandboard, which IIRC should work fine.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

2 hours ago, Miska said:

It should be pretty straightforward, you first "dpkg -i" the networkaudiod package and then "apt install -f" the dependencies and complete the package install/configuration.

Then you can use standard "systemctl" to deal with the networkaudiod service.

I assume you are trying to use standard Debian 9 (Stretch) on Wandboard, which IIRC should work fine.

Hi, I found this, but it says it's for ubuntu.  Can I do the same on Debian?  Yes, I am using Stretch

sudo apt-get install libasound2 libasound2-data libasound2-plugins alsa-utils

wget https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/linux/xenial/networkaudiod_3.5.2-36_amd64.deb

sudo dpkg -I networkaudiod_3.5.2-36_amd64.deb

sudo reboot

7 hours ago, Hammer said:

Hi, I found this, but it says it's for ubuntu.  Can I do the same on Debian?  Yes, I am using Stretch

sudo apt-get install libasound2 libasound2-data libasound2-plugins alsa-utils

wget https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/linux/xenial/networkaudiod_3.5.2-36_amd64.deb

sudo dpkg -I networkaudiod_3.5.2-36_amd64.deb

sudo reboot

You can skip the first step. Then you need to update the URL pointing to the Stretch package and there's also newer version of the networkaudiod. Then you install it same way with "sudo dpkg -i xxx" where xxx is the package name. You will get some errors about missing dependencies, then do "sudo apt install -f" and it will pull and install the missing dependencies and finish configuration of the package. Then you can reboot.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

On 2/6/2017 at 10:27 AM, rapp said:

ne other thing – HQplayer only gives Mac users 30 mins to try out their software. To me this is absurd.

then it quits... you just have to reopen it where you were, till the next 30 mins... you can do that forever if you want :)

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13