IGNORED

Audio Phil's Audiophile Optimizer on Windows Server 2016

Using HySolid and JPlay combination is a great addition to the exceptional sound quality that AudioPhil's AudiophileOptimizer already produces on Windows Server 2016. Which in my estimation outshines Windows Server 2012 R2 for audio sound qualities.

AudiophileOptimizer 2.20 beta 4 with Windows Server 2016 Core is just wonderful to sit and listen to what computer audio as a transport has achieved.

Step-by-step configuration for HySolid/JPlay on Windows Server 2016 Core mode.

Configuring HySolid to work with JPlay on Windows Server 2016 Core

· Uninstall Fidelizer

· Enable remote access to access Audio-PC from another computer

1. From the Windows 2016 Core computer:

netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="Remote Service Management" new enable=yes

2. From the remote GUI computer (Windows 10 or Windows Server 2012 R2):

3. Open a Command Prompt and enter the following command to access the Netsh CLI on a remote machine:

netsh -r hostname -u domain\admin -p password
(
hostname
= Windows 2016 computer name;
password
= password to login to Windows 2016 computer)

4. From the remote GUI computer (Windows 10 or Windows Server 2012 R2 open the Services applet

5. Select connect to another computer

6. Type in the IP address of the Windows 2016 core server

7. Go to the service for Hysolid and Hysolidm

8. Stop both services

9. Change the logon

10. Type:

.\
user_name
(
user_name
is the logged on account name on the Windows 2016 computer, very important that you type the .\ or the service will not start)

11. Type password and confirm

12. Do for both services (Hysolid and Hysolidm)

13. Start the services

14. Go to the Windows 2016 Core computer

15. Check that the HySolid service has the correct logon information from the services applet in Task Manager

16. Run AO and optimize as you normally would

17. Configure JPlay to use KS

18. Configure HySolid on the iPad/iPhone

19. Play and enjoy music

20. Install and configure ProcessLAsso (if you use it)

21. Install and configure Fidelizer

22. Play and enjoy music

Music Server: Streacom ST-FC5WS-Evo chassis, ASUS H87M-E, modified with PPA Studio MoBo Clock Upgrade, Intel Core I7-4770t, 16 GB G.SKILL F3-10666CL7D, SOtM tX-USBexp, sCLK-EX, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0 (Final), JPlay, Fidelizer 8.x, Windows Server 2019 Core mode

Digital to Analog Converter: Mutec MC-3+ USB, B.M.C. UltraDAC

Amplifier:Sanders Magtech Monoblocks; Loudspeakers: Magneplanar 3.6R, Vandersteen 2Wq Subwoffers

Music player: Roon

Hi,

I use Audiophile Optimizer (minimal server mode) with Fidelizer and MinimServer on windows 2012 R2 as a NAS storage for my SOTM SMS-200. Do you think there is an added value to upgrade this NAS from Windows server 2012 r2 to Windows Server 2016? Will I get an improvement regarding the sound? Thanks in advance,

Hi Nouchka,

Me and many others found the sound quality improvement from Windows Server 2016 remarkable enough to be satisfied that switching was worth the effort.

I run it in core mode and gain the benefits from not having any unnecessary GUI applicable services running, I always ran in core mode when I was on the 2012 R2 platform.

I am confident you will be very happy with the upgrade.

Music Server: Streacom ST-FC5WS-Evo chassis, ASUS H87M-E, modified with PPA Studio MoBo Clock Upgrade, Intel Core I7-4770t, 16 GB G.SKILL F3-10666CL7D, SOtM tX-USBexp, sCLK-EX, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0 (Final), JPlay, Fidelizer 8.x, Windows Server 2019 Core mode

Digital to Analog Converter: Mutec MC-3+ USB, B.M.C. UltraDAC

Amplifier:Sanders Magtech Monoblocks; Loudspeakers: Magneplanar 3.6R, Vandersteen 2Wq Subwoffers

Music player: Roon

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I've just installed WS 2016 Standard (Desktop Experience) with AO 2.2 only to find that mode switching is no longer supported (https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsserver/2017/04/05/switching-between-windows-server-2016-server-core-and-desktop-experience/).  The only reason I would switch back to GUI mode in 2012 was to check for updates and run disk cleanup.  I've found some command line options for running updates in 2016 which I haven't used, but there are limitations.  Even if one is inclined not to apply updates, there is still the issue of updating after install.  If anyone has experience here, could you please comment on your approach to installing updates with WS 2016 core mode, either monthly or after the install.

Thanks all.

• 1 year later...

Hi!
I`m trying to get HQPlayer and AO to work in Server2016 core.

If I install server 2016 desktop experience, all it takes is enabling windows audio service, installing c++ redistributable and HqPlayer and everything works.

If I install 2016 core mode, through powershell, I can`t seem to even find windows audio, let alone run it.

And I keep getting opengl32.dll missing when I try to run HqPlayer.

Can someone help me please, I`m on this for a week now with no luck

1 hour ago, ig983 said:

Hi!
I`m trying to get HQPlayer and AO to work in Server2016 core.

If I install server 2016 desktop experience, all it takes is enabling windows audio service, installing c++ redistributable and HqPlayer and everything works.

If I install 2016 core mode, through powershell, I can`t seem to even find windows audio, let alone run it.

And I keep getting opengl32.dll missing when I try to run HqPlayer.

Can someone help me please, I`m on this for a week now with no luck

Good luck with this.  I have the same issue but couldn't get any help, mainly because WS2016 isn't supported by HQPlayer.

Colin

19 hours ago, frederick184 said:

Good luck with this.  I have the same issue but couldn't get any help, mainly because WS2016 isn't supported by HQPlayer.

Colin

It looks to me we just need to start audiosrv service that for some reason isn`t in the services list.

One issue at a time :)

14 hours ago, frederick184 said:

Thanks.  Let me know how you make out with this.

Colin

Apparently 2016 core has audio features left out.

No luck with any support.

Even Microsoft won`t respond.

I`m back to 2012 r2 core.

Happy listening :)

I have two PC running Windows Server 2016 Core, both have the latest AO 2.20 and fidelizer 8.2.  One PC is running HQPlayer 3.23.0 and another PC is running NAA and Roon Bridge at the same time.  So I can use my Ipad to select which zone I want to play.  I can either play from Roon Server(on QNAP NAS) to Roon Bridge PC or Roon Server to HQPlayer then back to NAA.  It's very easy just turn on two PC and take my ipad to select music, then Voila, here comes the music.  

17 hours ago, TubeMan said:

Yoe need to run AO before you can get " audiosrv service"  to work.

ether AO- WASAPI to get wasapi support

or

AO and install kernel support /Y

Really? Thanks a lot!
I remember the AO pdf file saying that you have to have everything up and running before installing AO

I'll give it a try