IGNORED

Berkeley Audio Design Adds MQA Rendering To Alpha DAC Reference Series 2

Just received this from Berkeley Audio Design:

"Berkeley Audio Design is pleased to announce the introduction of MQA Rendering planned for Q2 of 2017 as a field installable upgrade for the Alpha DAC Reference Series 2.

When used with MQA core decoding software such as TIDAL HiFi, Roon, Audirvana, etc. the Alpha DAC Reference Series 2 will provide full MQA decoding while minimizing processing noise within the DAC. This approach results in improved audio quality by splitting the MQA processing overhead between external software and the DAC, resulting in lower noise in the DAC and increased D to A conversion accuracy.

Field installation of the MQA Rendering upgrade will be a simple process of placing the DAC in Update Mode by pushing several front panel buttons while powering the DAC on and then playing a provided 44.1 kHz, 16-bit WAV file that contains the software through any of the DAC’s digital inputs.

Berkeley Audio Design is committed to providing the highest possible quality reproduction of MQA encoded recordings and we feel this approach strongly furthers that commitment."

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Exciting news! As my Reference Series 2 sits here waiting...

I'm having lots of fun listening to the TIDAL Masters albums. And so far, enjoying them more than the hi-res versions I already own. Can hardly wait to hear them after the MQA Rendering upgrade!

“We don’t like their sound … and guitar music is on the way out!”

– Decca Records, 1962

Taiko Audio Extreme | Vinnie Rossi L2i SE and L2 DAC | Omega Super Alnico Monitors | JL Audio Fathom Sub

• 6 months later...

You can finally order the upgrade from dealer or directly via site (see News section). 

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

@mansr I hope you can get a copy of this to analyze.  It will be really interesting to see what a high end DAC does for MQA rendering and compare it to existing implementations.

The News section of the Berkeley Audio site has some additional unexpected information.

The Alpha DAC Reference Series Field-Installable MQA Rendering Upgrade provides unmatched MQA Rendering capability and significantly improved audio quality with standard PCM, non-MQA recordings for any existing Alpha DAC Reference Series or Alpha DAC Reference Series 2.

A Field-Installable MQA Rendering Upgrade will also be available for the Alpha DAC Series 2 and original Alpha DAC in the fall of 2017. Check this space for further information.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The MQA piece has nothing to do with the PCM improvement, other than the update coming in the same package. In other words, the MQA code isn't making regular PCM better. 

Yes, I understand that they are independent.  I just didn't know Berkeley was going to deliver improved PCM audio quality along with the MQA update.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Received the firmware update instructions Thursday morning. After some challenges, I got it installed and proceeded to be enthralled with the much improved sonics. Run, don't walk, to get this in your Reference DAC.  

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

On 20/08/2017 at 5:29 PM, rickca said:

@mansr I hope you can get a copy of this to analyze.  It will be really interesting to see what a high end DAC does for MQA rendering and compare it to existing implementations.

Does this DAC operate as an MQA renderer (like the Mytek Brooklyn) or does it only do full decoding (like the Meridian Explorer).

31 minutes ago, mansr said:

Does this DAC operate as an MQA renderer (like the Mytek Brooklyn) or does it only do full decoding (like the Meridian Explorer).

Per the manual which you can download from their site:

MQA
When a valid MQA Core decoded signal is present on the selected digital input, MQA is displayed on the 3 digit LED display instead of the input signal sample rate and MQA rendering is performed. Momentarily pushing the MODE button on the remote control shows the MQA original sample rate on the 3 digit LED display followed by the regular mode status 

Steve Schaffer

11 hours ago, stevebythebay said:

Per the manual which you can download from their site:

MQA
When a valid MQA Core decoded signal is present on the selected digital input, MQA is displayed on the 3 digit LED display instead of the input signal sample rate and MQA rendering is performed. Momentarily pushing the MODE button on the remote control shows the MQA original sample rate on the 3 digit LED display followed by the regular mode status 

OK, this means the rendering filters it uses can be teased out of it with my test files. We just need someone with a decent recording interface (192 kHz minimum) and some spare time.

I have just installed the MQA upgrade today, easy process overall with no problems.  All I can say is wow, on CD rips/PCM the improvement is substantial and wonderful.  Agree with stevebythebay, the upgrade is well worth it.  Strangely, streaming tidal MQA from my N10 isn't working though as my dac is not displaying MQA or unfolding to higher than 48.

12 hours ago, DMelby said:

I have just installed the MQA upgrade today, easy process overall with no problems.  All I can say is wow, on CD rips/PCM the improvement is substantial and wonderful.  Agree with stevebythebay, the upgrade is well worth it.  Strangely, streaming tidal MQA from my N10 isn't working though as my dac is not displaying MQA or unfolding to higher than 48.

I believe that would be due to the Aurender N10 not yet providing MQA Core (first unfold) decoding. The Berkeley MQA upgrade only provides MQA Rendering, so it requires an MQA Core decoded stream to get fully decoded MQA. I expect that Aurender will be adding MQA Core decoding support to the N10 in time, and then you'll get full MQA when used with your newly upgraded Berkeley.

12 hours ago, audio.bill said:

I believe that would be due to the Aurender N10 not yet providing MQA Core (first unfold) decoding. The Berkeley MQA upgrade only provides MQA Rendering, so it requires an MQA Core decoded stream to get fully decoded MQA. I expect that Aurender will be adding MQA Core decoding support to the N10 in time, and then you'll get full MQA when used with your newly upgraded Berkeley.

Yes, I heard the Aurender N10 update for MQA is in the beta phase, and perhaps will be available soon.  In the meantime, PCM is amazing with the Berkeley update.