IGNORED

Best non-destructive free wav editing solution

cdfreeqs

Hey there,

I am interested to burn an Audio CD. This will be a compilation having as source, wav files. I am interested to mix some of them using custom curve crossfade or no fading effects.

I know that some burning software (like Nero for example) have a built in option called crossfade with previous track, but the result will involve a fade in/out as well.

Having this project in mind, what is your recommendation in order to preserve the native quality of the wav tracks? Saving the compiled files (was as well) could come with loss of quality? how can I check taking in consideration the fact that the resulted files will be at different duration, CD index, etc.

I've tried Nero SoundTrax but no so sure about the quality.

Thanks,

Hey there,

I am interested to burn an Audio CD. This will be a compilation having as source, wav files. I am interested to mix some of them using custom curve crossfade or no fading effects.

I know that some burning software (like Nero for example) have a built in option called crossfade with previous track, but the result will involve a fade in/out as well.

Having this project in mind, what is your recommendation in order to preserve the native quality of the wav tracks? Saving the compiled files (was as well) could come with loss of quality? how can I check taking in consideration the fact that the resulted files will be at different duration, CD index, etc.

Thanks,

What quality?

I am referring at the native quality of the wav untouched track. As far as I know, some software apps, even if we modify the track using a fade or whatever will alter the sound. Meanwhile I've read about Audacity, it looks like it preserve (using some settings the audio quality, without artifacts and so on...

I am referring at the native quality of the wav untouched track. As far as I know, some software apps, even if we modify the track using a fade or whatever will alter the sound. Meanwhile I've read about Audacity, it looks like it preserve (using some settings the audio quality, without artifacts and so on...

Audacity is quite capable and also free. You do need to be careful with the settings, or it might resample your audio or add unwanted dither when saving the files. That said, it can probably do what you want.

Hey there,

Thanks,

If say exactly, any modification of audio stuff (including fade in/out) is lossy.

In case of the fading: if rounding will provided properly or touched faded parts only, it is no problem - untouched part of the audio stuff will as before.

But how it works in a software, developers know only.

As rule, files have different size by reason of changing metadata. But it is not audio content issue.

You can check all it in a binary comparer of files.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

Oh, that's good to know, Thank you. How about if I combine 2 audio wav files without fading or making any sound modification, changing only the way track 2 will begin, pointing that using a new index and after that saving these new files like we have in the above shown example; the process will produce a lossy result?

If source files have integer format (16 bit, 24 bit, 32 bit, etc.) summ is lossless operation (if all done properly).

At your picture files is overlapped.

As I understand, overlapping area is faded out (for upper file) and in (for lower one).

The area will lossy.

I.e. in output file only the overlapping area will lossy (if all done properly).

However, losses in the overlapping area is too unsignificant.

Main matter here how processed file in the used editor. It may be checked via binary comparing input and output audio content.

As example, I use 64-bit float point format into my audio converter.

But if convert integer format to integer format (16 bit to 16 bit) in mode without resampling and other processing (WAV > FLAC > WAV), we will get binary identical content at input and output. It achieved via proper rounding at transformation of resolution.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

As I understand, overlapping area is faded out (for upper file) and in (for lower one).

The top track it is faded out, but not by me, this is the original file. The bottom track is untouched.

I understand now and I am able to see the whole picture thanks to your posts.

Best regards,