IGNORED

Help: Aries Mini + Emotiva DC-1 OR Cambridge CXN

I'll be streaming over ethernet from a Win10/JRMC PC running 24/7 in another room. The amp & speakers aren't an issue. The controller will be an iPad Air. All that's needed are streamer & DAC. I've narrowed it down to one of the following:

1. Aries Mini > Wired4Sound Recovery > Emotiva DC-1 > (Amp/Speakers)

or

2. Cambridge Audio CXN (streamer, dac, pre) > (Amp/Speakers)

#2 is cleaner and, as an added bonus, it's $200 less. Any thoughts?

Win10 Sweetwater recording studio PC running JRMC > Soundcraft Ui24r 24-track digital mixer > JBL LSR308 via Magomi Balanced XLR cable pair

Both are good units from companies with no-nonsense approach to audio. I own the Emotiva Stealth DC-1.

Your question about the reclocker has already been answered by Emotiva engineers in the Emotiva forums. You won't need one because Emotiva implements their own on board.

If you want a set and forget solution go with the Cambridge. Given the all in one nature and basically the same price I would go with the Cambridge due to the integration. But I'm not one to play equipment roulette. If you like to swap components out every couple of years there is then the Aries / Emotiva combo.

A third option, and I think the most flexible, is to get a silent mini pc like the Byte Plus Intel Z8300 based system for $170, add JRiver and JRemote. While more flexible you'll have a bit more setup.

I think any of these options, properly setup, will give you really good results.

Both are good units from companies with no-nonsense approach to audio. I own the Emotiva Stealth DC-1.

Your question about the reclocker has already been answered by Emotiva engineers in the Emotiva forums. You won't need one because Emotiva implements their own on board.

If you want a set and forget solution go with the Cambridge. Given the all in one nature and basically the same price I would go with the Cambridge due to the integration. But I'm not one to play equipment roulette. If you like to swap components out every couple of years there is then the Aries / Emotiva combo.

A third option, and I think the most flexible, is to get a silent mini pc like the Byte Plus Intel Z8300 based system for $170, add JRiver and JRemote. While more flexible you'll have a bit more setup.

I think any of these options, properly setup, will give you really good results.

Thank you for your response.

I too am not one who enjoys audio gear musical chairs. I prefer as you've said "setting & forgetting" so I can just enjoy the music, which frankly is something I've yet to experience in computer audio. The experience is degraded if I can't simply turn the thing on and hear music within 10 seconds, or have to split my concentration between the music and wondering if the sound is as good as the last configuration.

If the Cambridge CXN functions smoothly, has playlist functionality anywhere near as good as JRiver's, and outputs an excellent analog signal, I've found the perfect solution for me. Lack of any of these is a deal breaker which means either going with the Aries Mini/DC-1 option or continuing the relatively non-enjoyment of a computer/JRiver/DAC rig (shoot me now).

Win10 Sweetwater recording studio PC running JRMC > Soundcraft Ui24r 24-track digital mixer > JBL LSR308 via Magomi Balanced XLR cable pair

I've liked other Cambridge products I've had hands on and interested in your observations on the CXN. Hopefully it's the straightest path for you. I understand just wanting to set and forget.

When Logitech abandoned the Squeezebox lineup it left a nice hole for Cambridge to fill up.

My 2.0 setup is a low voltage computer with JRiver for managing my local music library. I use both a remote laptop and also have a 46 inch monitor and wireless KB/Track-pad for it. This is because I use other services like Netflix and Amazon Prime music. This way I get to apply room correction and the like also. But it's certainly more work but the only way to guarantee the best audio output.

Oppo also has their Sonica DAC coming out soon and is streamer enabled.

Hi All,

Just to throw the proverbial spanner; I've demo'd the CXN & whilst it's set & forget I found the sound very "in your face" & fatiguing but that's just me!

I've ended up buying x2 Aries Minis & ive gradually improved sound by installing internal SSD's, REGEN USB & recently Aurelic LPS.

I've not used the internal DAC on the Mini but I've heard it's not too bad.

Just my 2 cents

Cheers

Matthew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man Cave: 2CH: VPI Aries Scout + Hana SL MC Cart > Gold Note PH-10 / PS Audio PW Transport / Innous ZEN Mini Mk 3 (ROON Core) + LPSU > PS Audio DirectStream Jnr > Ayre KX-5 > Rogue Audio M-180 Monoblocks > Dynaudio Focus 380's HT: Sony 4K BD > Sony VW60 > Integra DRX3.1 > Dynaudio X24 Centre + Monitor Audio rears. Family Room: 2CH: Matrix Mini-i 3Pro > Bel Canto Pre3 > Bel Canto REf500s 2CH AMP HT: Sony UHD BD > Denon X4000 > Dynaudio Emit 20 + X22 Centre + in-ceiling B&W's.

Cables & Misc: Man Cave: PAD Musaeus & Antipodes Komako XLR's / Bills Pinnacle Speak Cables / Audio Principe & Voodoo Power Cords + Isotek Aquarius Power Conditioner Family Room: Audio Principe XLR's, Speaker & Power Cables / Elijah USB cables.

Tubes: 12AX7/ECC83: NOS Telefunken 1963, Mullard CV492, Brimar + Stock Elecktra Harmonix. 12AU7/ECC82: NOS Valvo E80CC's, 1963 RCA "Conn" Organs Long Plate Clear tops, RCA Blackplates, Tungstrum + Stock Electra Harmonix.  KT120: Tsung-Tol

Hi All,

Just to throw the proverbial spanner; I've demo'd the CXN & whilst it's set & forget I found the sound very "in your face" & fatiguing but that's just me!

I've ended up buying x2 Aries Minis & ive gradually improved sound by installing internal SSD's, REGEN USB & recently Aurelic LPS.

I've not used the internal DAC on the Mini but I've heard it's not too bad.

Just my 2 cents

Cheers

Matthew

What amp & speakers was the CXN connected to, or did you demo it in your home with your own gear?

It was a home demo.

It was by no means bad, I just found it a bit "in your face" but that's me.

I also think that more the money you can buy a good DAC + an Aries Mini which in my opinion will best the CXN & you can improve it more by adding LPSU, internal SSD etc.

Cheers

Matthew

Man Cave: 2CH: VPI Aries Scout + Hana SL MC Cart > Gold Note PH-10 / PS Audio PW Transport / Innous ZEN Mini Mk 3 (ROON Core) + LPSU > PS Audio DirectStream Jnr > Ayre KX-5 > Rogue Audio M-180 Monoblocks > Dynaudio Focus 380's HT: Sony 4K BD > Sony VW60 > Integra DRX3.1 > Dynaudio X24 Centre + Monitor Audio rears. Family Room: 2CH: Matrix Mini-i 3Pro > Bel Canto Pre3 > Bel Canto REf500s 2CH AMP HT: Sony UHD BD > Denon X4000 > Dynaudio Emit 20 + X22 Centre + in-ceiling B&W's.

Cables & Misc: Man Cave: PAD Musaeus & Antipodes Komako XLR's / Bills Pinnacle Speak Cables / Audio Principe & Voodoo Power Cords + Isotek Aquarius Power Conditioner Family Room: Audio Principe XLR's, Speaker & Power Cables / Elijah USB cables.

Tubes: 12AX7/ECC83: NOS Telefunken 1963, Mullard CV492, Brimar + Stock Elecktra Harmonix. 12AU7/ECC82: NOS Valvo E80CC's, 1963 RCA "Conn" Organs Long Plate Clear tops, RCA Blackplates, Tungstrum + Stock Electra Harmonix.  KT120: Tsung-Tol

It was a home demo.

It was by no means bad, I just found it a bit "in your face" but that's me.

I also think that more the money you can buy a good DAC + an Aries Mini which in my opinion will best the CXN & you can improve it more by adding LPSU, internal SSD etc.

Cheers

Matthew

I've been wondering about that, but this config is about finding the right balance between sq and ergonomics so that my anti-technology wife may get some enjoyment from it. If there were a clearly audible boost in SQ from the Aries Mini + Emotiva DC-1 (as DAC & preamp) combo, I would be willing to forgo the ease of operation from the CXN. However, if that isn't the case, "In your face" might not be a bad pairing to my B&W's. I know it ultimately comes down to personal taste, still, I believe it's a question worth asking this group. One never knows when a consensus either contrary to, or a modification of, my proposal will materialize. I would be inclined to place a lot of weight therein - personal taste be damned.

I've been wondering about that, but this config is about finding the right balance between sq and ergonomics so that my anti-technology wife may get some enjoyment from it.

I purchased my wife a Bluetooth receiver for the stereo system to pair with her iPhone. She's been one happy camper ever since.

Each to their own as you say & I went down that road too with a Technophobe wife but then she didn't want to learn how to use the CXN so I thought, life's too short, I want the best "sound for pound" & ended up with the Aries Mini. I don't know how good the Emotiva DAC is but their gear always reviews well.

In terms of my "in your face comment", from memory the CXN does have a fixed or variable volume, I used fixed as I believe its better with digital volume attenuation so it is flexible. I really did want it to work for me!

Good luck

Matt

Food for thought?

http://oppodigital.com/sonica-dac/sonica-dac-Overview.aspx?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=sdac_launch&utm_source=email

Not sure when this is to launch but maybe your solution?

Cheers

Matthew