IGNORED

Is this track 44.1 uprezed to 176.4 ?

Below is output from spek. This is a 176.4 purchase from acoustic sounds that looks to me to

be 44.1 uprezed. Can anyone comment on what they see here ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32819[/ATTACH]

I'm going to take a stab at this: it looks to me like a DSD file that was converted to 24 bit, 176.4 KHz. The spectrogram shows the high frequency noise of Delta-Sigma modulation.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

I'm going to take a stab at this: it looks to me like a DSD file that was converted to 24 bit, 176.4 KHz. The spectrogram shows the high frequency noise of Delta-Sigma modulation.

Thank you for the DSD suggestion. I can get close to the spectrogram I posted in #1 if I do the following conversions:

44.1 -> DSD64 -> DSD128 -> 176.4

01 I Can See Clearly Now_28M_56M_176k.wav.png

Any chance the spectrogram in #1 comes from an analog -> DSD128 -> 176.4 conversion ? The cutoff at 22k is puzzling to me for such a conversion.

I agree, the most likely signal chain is 44.1 -> DSD -> 176.4. It's definitely been put through a 22kHz lowpass, but their are tools that will do that even when running at higher sample rates (e.g. AUI). The only way to know for certain that it has been through a 44.1kHz stage is if you see aliasing around 22 kHz, which I don't see here, so that's inconclusive. An analog source is an interesting idea. Analog tape doesn't drop off that abruptly, but I have downloaded recordings sourced from analog that I thought sounded better when I lowpassed them, reducing the hiss and distortion associated with tape at high frequencies, so maybe a transfer engineer followed that logic and did analog -> DSD (with 22kHz lowpass), followed by the conversion to 176.4.

As to the noise from DSD, it's much higher for DSD64 than DSD128, so I would not expect to see a difference between DSD64 -> DSD128 -> 176 compared to DSD64 -> 176.

I suggest you write Acoustic Sounds with your specific concerns and details (in brief). My experience with them is that they take such enquiries seriously, even going to the label and asking about the source of the file.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Below is output from spek. This is a 176.4 purchase from acoustic sounds that looks to me to

Looks like DSD converted to PCM.

Don't pay attention to visible range of musical spectrum. It depend on recording/mixing/mastering.

Upper spectrum (20+ kHz) we can see tone. It may be as recording equipment issue as processing issue.

Since 70+ kHz noise suppressed by filter of DSD demodulator, probably.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

Looks like playback of a 44.1 kHz source with the analogue output captured at DSD64, then converted to PCM. Why anyone would do this is beyond me, yet they do.

Looks like playback of a 44.1 kHz source with the analogue output captured at DSD64, then converted to PCM. Why anyone would do this is beyond me, yet they do.

2xHD take a 24/96 PCM file, convert it to analog and pass it through a tube preamp while converting it to DSD, and this qualifies to be sold on NativeDSD, go figure...

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

2xHD take a 24/96 PCM file, convert it to analog and pass it through a tube preamp while converting it to DSD

Sound art. Enhancer. It is not quality (low distortions, fidelity) matter.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

• 3 weeks later...