IGNORED

How To Connect iPad Directly To DAC For Streaming?

Sometime back I created a discussion on having suddenly lost my ability to stream a internet music program from my iPad to my DAC via an Apple Airport Express. This system had worked perfectly for a number of years. After a fair bit of troubleshooting, it came down to the Airport Express having failed. At least, that is all I can see as a possibility as the problem continued with multiple DAC's.

It was suggested that I connect the iPad directly to the DAC to test it.This is actually a better solution for me, in the end, as the iPad (when used for this purpose) is all of about 3 feet from the DAC. Based on this, I purchased an Apple camera connection kit for my iPad, attached the connector to the iPad, then connected it via USB cable to the DAC. Now I get an error on the iPad saying

cannot use device

USB-SPDIF - The connected device is not supported

Shouldn't this have worked?

JC

Sorry, to the OP. I have no solution to his problem. Having said that...

Is there no other option besides a corded solution to do what the old Airport Express did? I go from my Airport Express to a W4S Remedy Reclocker to my DAC while I watch Digital Concert Hall on my iPad and this gives very good SQ and visuals that are synced. I have one of the original AE's, so I know it won't last forever.

So...Is there no other product out there that does what the AE did?

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

Sometime back I created a discussion on having suddenly lost my ability to stream a internet music program from my iPad to my DAC via an Apple Airport Express. This system had worked perfectly for a number of years. After a fair bit of troubleshooting, it came down to the Airport Express having failed. At least, that is all I can see as a possibility as the problem continued with multiple DAC's.

It was suggested that I connect the iPad directly to the DAC to test it.This is actually a better solution for me, in the end, as the iPad (when used for this purpose) is all of about 3 feet from the DAC. Based on this, I purchased an Apple camera connection kit for my iPad, attached the connector to the iPad, then connected it via USB cable to the DAC. Now I get an error on the iPad saying

cannot use device

Shouldn't this have worked?

JC

Which adapter did you use? There is more than one available. This one should work:

Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter - Apple

Which adapter did you use? There is more than one available. This one should work:

Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter - Apple

I do not believe that is the one I purchased, the one I have is:

Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/217499379.html

If you are certain the one you are recommending will work, I don't mind spending the $40.00. Are you? Also, neither my DAC, nor my Ipad 2 are USB 3.0 compatible. Isn't that an issue?

JC

It might be a USB power issue. Often an iPad will not work with a DAC through the camera connection kit without using a powered USB hub in between. Try connecting the DAC to a powered hub and the IPad via CCK to the same hub. This is what is must do with all of my DACs.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Sorry, I'm not sure if I quite understand. If I connect the iPad via CCK directly to a powered USB hub, how does the signal it is sending get to the DAC? And how do I connect the DAC to the hub?

JC

I do not believe that is the one I purchased, the one I have is:

Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/217499379.html

If you are certain the one you are recommending will work, I don't mind spending the $40.00. Are you? Also, neither my DAC, nor my Ipad 2 are USB 3.0 compatible. Isn't that an issue?

JC

Oh you have the earlier ipad with 30 pin connection so my suggestion won't work.

Sorry, I'm not sure if I quite understand. If I connect the iPad via CCK directly to a powered USB hub, how does the signal it is sending get to the DAC? And how do I connect the DAC to the hub?

JC

You need an extension with a male USB end to connect to the CCK and another male end to the USB hub. In most configurations I have, this requires a mini-USB male end to connect to what is usually the sole mini-USB connector on a powered hub. You then use another cable to go from one of the regular USB ports on the hub to your DAC. Some DACs have mini-USB female input connectors, so if that is the case you would need a male regular USB from the hub to male mini-USB to the DAC for that segment. If your DAC has a regular USB input then a regular USB cable with male at both ends would be required. I would send a pic, but I am not home at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

My amp has a built in DAC, it uses USB B connection so I just connect my iPad direct into that from the 30 pin iPad connection using the lead that came with the iPad for charging it and a USB lead with female end and USB B on the other. Works perfectly.

Is the camera kit an official apple one, if not that can throw errors up too.

Otherwise try the official charge lead directly to the USB input on the DAC.

It may also be possible that your DAC requires a driver to operate, which cannot be installed on the IPad but normally would be installed on a PC or Mac. As for my photo above, I have four DACs/DAC-amp combos in a couple of locations hooked up this way because they required more power than my direct iPad/iPod config permits. This is the only way they will work, otherwise I get an iOS error message.

Sorry, to the OP. I have no solution to his problem. Having said that...

Is there no other option besides a corded solution to do what the old Airport Express did? I go from my Airport Express to a W4S Remedy Reclocker to my DAC while I watch Digital Concert Hall on my iPad and this gives very good SQ and visuals that are synced. I have one of the original AE's, so I know it won't last forever.

So...Is there no other product out there that does what the AE did?

I believe Arcam makes a combination DAC/Airplay streamer. Also Sonore Microrendu can act as Airplay streamer. There are other options as well, I think.

I've tried connecting things as described, and still et an error on the iPad saying

cannot use device

Any further help is appreciated. Having to listen on my iPad's speaker is close to driving me insane!

JC

TubeLover,

Perhaps you need to update the operating system on your iPad? That's what I had to do to get the adapter mentioned in post #4 above to work with my iPad Air. Check the fine print on the adapter you've been trying to use to see if it has an operating system requirement.

I've tried connecting things as described, and still et an error on the iPad saying

cannot use device

Any further help is appreciated. Having to listen on my iPad's speaker is close to driving me insane!

JC

If you are connecting the iPad to a USB DAC, how come the error message is 'USB-SPDIF The connected device is not supported', ie what does a USB connection to a DAC have to do with S/PDIF? You still haven't said exactly what make of DAC (or USB to S/PDIF converter?) you are using, which mean we don't really have enough to go on.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > 2Qute+MCRU psu; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

If you are connecting the iPad to a USB DAC, how come the error message is 'USB-SPDIF The connected device is not supported', ie what does a USB connection to a DAC have to do with S/PDIF? You still haven't said exactly what make of DAC (or USB to S/PDIF converter?) you are using, which mean we don't really have enough to go on.

I am using the official Apple Camera connector. The DAC is a an Audio Mirror Tubadour MKII, which I don't honestly think will provide you much in the way of clues.

JC

TubeLover,

Perhaps you need to update the operating system on your iPad? That's what I had to do to get the adapter mentioned in post #4 above to work with my iPad Air. Check the fine print on the adapter you've been trying to use to see if it has an operating system requirement.

The operating system is completely up to date.

JC

It may also be possible that your DAC requires a driver to operate, which cannot be installed on the IPad but normally would be installed on a PC or Mac. As for my photo above, I have four DACs/DAC-amp combos in a couple of locations hooked up this way because they required more power than my direct iPad/iPod config permits. This is the only way they will work, otherwise I get an iOS error message.

Thanks, I suspect that you are correct. Which, unfortunately, leaves me with no options except spending a fair bit of money to address the issue.

JC