IGNORED

MQA and Respect for Intellectual Property

Great job Chris: you killed the technical analysis thread and have a four-star sidetrack on the music industry going on here instead. Maybe you can make up for it with some more of your vapid, poorly-edited 'reviewer' posts that nobody takes seriously to further this worthless exercise in self-importance.

Somewhat harsh. Surely all those that post in a thread dictate its course.

Great job Chris: you killed the technical analysis thread and have a four-star sidetrack on the music industry going on here instead. Maybe you can make up for it with some more of your vapid, poorly-edited 'reviewer' posts that nobody takes seriously to further this worthless exercise in self-importance.

Hi Scintilla - You're certainly entitled to your opinion. Even though it's a personal attack I won't remove it. It says more about you and your thought processes than it does me.

If you really think this way, I'd love to know more. If my posts are vapid, poorly-edited, and not taken serious by anyone, it would help me to know some specifics. Can you point to some of the posts?

Keep in mind that there are 1.5 million of you guys reading CA. I don't think you speak for everyone or have your finger on the pulse enough to make the statement that "nobody takes [you] serious" but I'm sure there are many who don't take me serious. I can live with that.

I'm unsure what you mean by ''reviewer' posts." can you elaborate?

You may not realize this, but CA isn't for me or about me. I have zero interest in being important. I'm here for the readers and contributors, they aren't here for me.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I never accused you of being a criminal. Please use facts rather than emotional arguments.

Well, "some members of the CA Community are using this site to discuss breaking into / hacking / cracking the MQA Ltd product(s) that are protected by international copyrights and patents" comes awfully close. While you didn't mention me by name, everybody assumed it was me you had in mind, and I'm not aware of any others who'd make likely suspects.

Hi Guys - I've removed a total of five posts. They were posts with hex codes. Much of this is beyond my technical skill level, but I saw no reason for hex codes to be shared publicly. Reverse engineering may be OK, but publishing the information doesn't feel right to me.

In addition, I believe @mansr has an ulterior motive to do more than reverse engineer MQA. I'm basing this opinion on the following post. If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it and apologize.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/mqa-spectrum-plots-31199/index5.html#post623340

mansr1.png

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hi Guys - I've removed a total of five posts. They were posts with hex codes. Much of this is beyond my technical skill level, but I saw no reason for hex codes to be shared publicly. Reverse engineering may be OK, but publishing the information doesn't feel right to me.

Very well, no more hex codes it is. Do note that those word-like codes are very commonly found as a joke in all kinds of software. Here's a list of a few more: HexOddities - Main - Wiki - 0xDECAFBAD

In addition, I believe @mansr has an ulterior motive to do more than reverse engineer MQA. I'm basing this opinion on the following post. If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it and apologize.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/mqa-spectrum-plots-31199/index5.html#post623340

mansr1.png

You're reading way too much into the word "cracked." I'm only trying to figure out how it actually works. I suppose I should be flattered that you think I'd be able to accomplish anything more than that.

Very well, no more hex codes it is. Do note that those word-like codes are very commonly found as a joke in all kinds of software. Here's a list of a few more: HexOddities - Main - Wiki - 0xDECAFBAD

You're reading way too much into the word "cracked." I'm only trying to figure out how it actually works. I suppose I should be flattered that you think I'd be able to accomplish anything more than that.

Thanks Mansr.

Chris, a few things to keep in mind:

(1) The MQA patent claims expressly exclude pure software implementations. So even if someone were reverse-engineering MQA for the purpose of writing MQA decoding software, that would be perfectly legal.

https://www.google.com/patents/US9548055

(2) If the hex codes were captured values of MQA data streams rather than the software object code, it is perfectly legal to publish those too. Software copyright covers the code itself, including the headers that enable a compiler to link other software to it (API), but does not cover the algorithms (functionality) implemented by the software such as the raw data received or transmitted by the software.

Copyright is much more limited in its coverage than patents because copyrights are automatic, while patents require an examination for inventiveness.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

It should also be noted that a patent application is not an enforceable document unless/until it issues as a patent and only then to the issued patent's claim scope (guess what, scope changes during prosecution). Applications provide notice to infringers and willful infringement of a subsequently issued patent can provide treble damages, but the claim scope is what matters.

image.thumb.jpeg.a4a84e289e35c7e49a6d3042fc9b2a99.jpeg

It should also be noted that a patent application is not an enforceable document unless/until it issues as a patent...

The link I provided above is to the issued US patent.

Whether patents are granted in Europe, Japan and China remains to be seen.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

• 4 weeks later...