IGNORED

Genelec user experience

Hi, I'm considering going with a Genelec system to replace my Gallo speakers and mono amps. I was wondering if anyone has intimate knowledge of the various parts of the Genelec line.

The "home" speakers, or the G-line vs the studio monitors. I am comparing the G5 to the 8350. There is basically no price difference, but the 8350 gives you a digital input with Autocal room correction capability vs only analog inputs for the G5. Is there any reason to consider the G-series vs the studio series which is more capable and priced essentially the same? What am I missing? I don't see any reason to go with home line vs the studio line.

Also, does anyone have any comment about the relative sound qualities of the various sizes. For the two way models from 5", 6.5" and 8" drivers, other than the expected improvement in impact and bass extension, can anyone comment on if the midrange and treble qualities are superior for some models over the others? Or are the mid and upper portions of the frequency range fairly consistent across these models?

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

Hi, I'm considering going with a Genelec system to replace my Gallo speakers and mono amps. I was wondering if anyone has intimate knowledge of the various parts of the Genelec line.

The "home" speakers, or the G-line vs the studio monitors. I am comparing the G5 to the 8350. There is basically no price difference, but the 8350 gives you a digital input with Autocal room correction capability vs only analog inputs for the G5. Is there any reason to consider the G-series vs the studio series which is more capable and priced essentially the same? What am I missing? I don't see any reason to go with home line vs the studio line.

Also, does anyone have any comment about the relative sound qualities of the various sizes. For the two way models from 5", 6.5" and 8" drivers, other than the expected improvement in impact and bass extension, can anyone comment on if the midrange and treble qualities are superior for some models over the others? Or are the mid and upper portions of the frequency range fairly consistent across these models?

Great questions and in a nutshell the Genelec's have a lot of advantages over any passive speaker system. There is very little difference in SQ between the pro line and HT line. The HT line offer RCA connections and also come in white. I think they offer subwoofers in their home line not offered i their pro line. If you want RCA connectors on a pro speaker just get an adapter, NP. The size of the drivers determine the available SPL and the low frequency extension. If you want a stereo pair in a large room with no sub get the bigger drivers. If you are doing a HT setup with multiple speakers and a sub smaller drivers will be fine. If you have a Guitar Center near you or Sam Ash you can go in for an audition, you will be stunned at the SQ and SPL's coming from such a small enclosure. I would go with the pro line and get the adapters if you want to use RCA cables if it is less $$$. If no diffeence get which ever version is more convenient. and then get the home version of the subwoofer (less $$$ and good SQ).

DigiPete is the resident expert or fanboy of Genelecs here. Search his name and go to his blog. There are many others with Genelecs, hopefully they'll chime in. witchdoctor gave you a nice start.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

I loved you Gallo speakers - fabulous sweet and extended tweeter!!

You need to get serious performance from the Genelecs, in order to match and improve on the Gallo's.

What is your motivation for change?

In case you consider alternatives, and if you can audition Kii Three, it would be interesting to get a comparison Kii vs Genelec since they share some of the same principles...

You are making me cry. I am selling my Gallo speakers simply due to life circumstances. I have my first child on the way and the Gallo speakers just aren't kid friendly. They have that exposed woofer and surround at toddler fist level, and the base is very unstable. I thought about ways to childproof them but it just doesn't make a lot of sense to keep them. I am concerned because I think the ref3.5 is simply a fabulous speaker and I don't want to downgrade. I am considering genelec largely because I like the active principles and room correction capability. Furthermore I would like to get rid of my monoblock amps. The Genelecs I am considering have full grills over the drivers, can be mounted on the wall or perhaps to a piece of furniture, up and out of the way of small children. You are right tho, it is killing me to sell them. I am wondering if I am setting myself up for disappointment by considering a powered monitor.

The Kii three is what I would buy if I could afford it. They are $14k and that is in a different league than I am playing in right now. I may consider the Genelec 8351, but that even is stretching my budget.

I loved you Gallo speakers - fabulous sweet and extended tweeter!!

You need to get serious performance from the Genelecs, in order to match and improve on the Gallo's.

What is your motivation for change?

In case you consider alternatives, and if you can audition Kii Three, it would be interesting to get a comparison Kii vs Genelec since they share some of the same principles...

You are making me cry. I am selling my Gallo speakers simply due to life circumstances. I have my first child on the way and the Gallo speakers just aren't kid friendly. They have that exposed woofer and surround at toddler fist level, and the base is very unstable. I thought about ways to childproof them but it just doesn't make a lot of sense to keep them. I am concerned because I think the ref3.5 is simply a fabulous speaker and I don't want to downgrade. I am considering genelec largely because I like the active principles and room correction capability. Furthermore I would like to get rid of my monoblock amps. The Genelecs I am considering have full grills over the drivers, can be mounted on the wall or perhaps to a piece of furniture, up and out of the way of small children. You are right tho, it is killing me to sell them. I am wondering if I am setting myself up for disappointment by considering a powered monitor.

The Kii three is what I would buy if I could afford it. They are $14k and that is in a different league than I am playing in right now. I may consider the Genelec 8351, but that even is stretching my budget.

I had the same concern when I went through toddler phase with my family. You can get a plastic toddler fence at Walmart and place it around your speakers, worked for me :)

There are many types and they can be adjusted very easily, here is an example

https://www.amazon.com/Regalo-192-Inch-Super-Wide-White/dp/B003VNKLIY/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1485218672&sr=8-1&keywords=toddler+fence

Funny, I just replaced my gallos for the same reason. I kept seeing my daughter being crushed by them. It was a bit sad as they had never sounded better as I had just ripped my CDs and purchased an Yggy and a microrendu. I replaced them with Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S, which I love.

I've tried a few pro speakers and most sound a tad dry and overly analytical, you have Adam's so you may know what I mean but I think the ATC SCM20 Pro are great value for $5K at Vintage King, not particularly toddler proof though...maybe some sturdier floor standers would be the best option, B&W 802N's can be had for around 5K secondhand.

Funny, I just replaced my gallos for the same reason. I kept seeing my daughter being crushed by them. It was a bit sad as they had never sounded better as I had just ripped my CDs and purchased an Yggy and a microrendu. I replaced them with Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S, which I love.

How do you like the Spatial Audios compared to the Gallos you had? Just looking at them, how are they more childproof than the Gallos? It looks like they could still be pulled forward fairly easily, did you tether them to the wall?

How do you like the Spatial Audios compared to the Gallos you had? Just looking at them, how are they more childproof than the Gallos? It looks like they could still be pulled forward fairly easily, did you tether them to the wall?

In terms of stability, there is really no comparison. No kid is going to pull over the M3s. Keeping her hands out of the backside of the baflle might be an issue but we haven't gotten there yet. I liked the Gallos very much but I am very happy with the M3s. The only thing that I miss about the Gallos is that the sweet spot was quite a bit bigger. The bass is very powerful and tight on the M3s and the midrange has excellent tone. The highs were probably better on the Gallos but the trade-off seems worth it. I like the fact that 12 years later (or whatever it is) that you can still buy an excellent speaker for under $3000.

I think the grills would actually make them easier for a kid to pull over. I'm sure you could build some sort of outrigger or put them on the mapleshade stands to make them more stable. As it is, a kid could easily pull them down or, worse, move them out of position.

I am super happy with my Genelec 8260.

However, I realised that if you want to improve the SQ, you cannot act on the DAC which is a key component.

The Genelec one is ok, but it could become the limitation of your system once you have improved all the rest.

Same for the amps, but I think the DAC is key if you want your system to not sound too digital.

Hope it helps

Frank

Frank

I am super happy with my Genelec 8260.

However, I realised that if you want to improve the SQ, you cannot act on the DAC which is a key component.

The Genelec one is ok, but it could become the limitation of your system once you have improved all the rest.

Same for the amps, but I think the DAC is key if you want your system to not sound too digital.

Hope it helps

Frank

The dac inside the Genelecs is something I accept as part of the package. Given that the crossovers are done in DSP and combined with the room calibration capability, I took it as a given that the DA conversion must be done very well. I have taken it for granted that the advantages you gain from amplifier matching the drivers and avoiding the passive crossovers would more than overcome the differences in DA conversion. When you say the Genelec one is ok, are you referring to the units inside your speakers?

My main hesitation with the Genelecs is that they might come across as a little too brutally honest and loose some of the intimacy and smoothness with some types of music. Have you experienced this at all with your system? Thanks in advance for your response.

I think the grills would actually make them easier for a kid to pull over. I'm sure you could build some sort of outrigger or put them on the mapleshade stands to make them more stable. As it is, a kid could easily pull them down or, worse, move them out of position.

My plan was some sort of aftermarket base (like the Mapleshade) along with some outrigger and then the grills if I could find a set to buy (unfortunately Gallo seems to be essentially out of business so getting new ones is out.) But, it is a moot point now. They are sold and I have to box them up! I have had them for 5 years now, I am getting a bit nostaligic about it. Oh well...

The dac inside the Genelecs is something I accept as part of the package. Given that the crossovers are done in DSP and combined with the room calibration capability, I took it as a given that the DA conversion must be done very well. I have taken it for granted that the advantages you gain from amplifier matching the drivers and avoiding the passive crossovers would more than overcome the differences in DA conversion. When you say the Genelec one is ok, are you referring to the units inside your speakers?

My main hesitation with the Genelecs is that they might come across as a little too brutally honest and loose some of the intimacy and smoothness with some types of music. Have you experienced this at all with your system? Thanks in advance for your response.

They can be brutally honest so I use a tube preamp with mine .

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Hi Kelly

Yes I was referring to inner DAC/amps.

And yes, the Genelec are "brutally honest”. It is what I like: very dynamic, very accurate... I am missing vocabulary to explain but let say they sound very close to a real musical instrument.

I have improved SQ, making more analog the voices and increasing the image with the Gustard + PSU in Mac Mini and A+.

But now I have reached the limit of improvements. Because whatever I try changing the readers or the AES/EBU converter or the cables I do not ear the difference. This is why I say that they are good, but after a certain step your reach the limit of resolution of the package.

BTW: I have found the Genelec demo in Munich High End far more digital than my system.

Frank

Frank

I wholly recommend the SAM™ Coaxial Studio Monitors to serious audiophiles.

They offer more bang for the buck than anything else I have found.

On top of everything, the 8351 and 8260 offer unprecedented imaging through the use of the MDC™ driver (Minimum Diffraction Coaxial).

Read this short blog for a more in depth analysis of why you get true high-end at upper mid-fi prices.Genelec - What is the rave about?

I've had my Genelec 8260 5.1 surround rig for 5 years, so I know most of the quirks and benefits of SAMs and going 100% digital.

Feel free to ask specific questions.

All the best

Peter

PS. If you are used to a true audiophile system, you will not find the SAM series analytical, just precise and acoustically invisible.

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

I either own or owned several studio monitors (Klein + Hummel O110, Klein + Hummel O300, Genelec 8040, Manger MSMc1, Genelec 8351). Since about 1990 my main speakers are Apogee Duetta Signature (refurbished in 2015).

Here's my opinion:

In your situation I would pick something like the Genelec 8040, 8050 or what you suggested in your original post, the Genelec 8350. These are all more or less in the same price range and have a good price/quality ratio.

Those which are significantly more expensive (Genelec 8351 and Manger MSMc1) are better, but it's really not a different world. The difference between a Genelec 8040 and the 8351 or the Manger MSMc1 is much (I mean really much) smaller than between the 8351 and the Apogees.

My main point is not about the Apogees, it's rather: I don't consider the Manger or the 8351 to be top speakers (though both are good and nice speakers, but neither caused any goosebumps)

Why not buy one of the cheaper Genelecs (I really like the 8040, still have them) and postpone any real top speaker. When the kids are six or seven, they shouldn't be too dangerous for the speakers anymore ;-)

Thanks to all that have responded so far that I haven't acknowledged. For now I have an old set of Vandersteen 2c's (like 20+ years old) and they sound pretty darn good.

It sounds like the main complaint that some have about Genelecs is a slight loss of "intimacy" (for lack of a better term) on the top end. Some reviewers report that warmth of vocals and the sizzle of cymbals can be a bit lost. The written review I am thinking of is the 6moons review and one owner has confirmed this to some extent. My inclination would be to attribute it to superior resolution simply being less flattering, but another alternative has been offered in that it may show the limitations of the internal D/A conversion. Or it could be related to how good the digital front end to which the system is connected.

What do any of the other Genelec users have to say about this?

100% DIGITAL WITH EXTENSION POSSIBILITIES

I run my 8351a speakers using a digital AES-converter. This is a minimalist setup with great sound, only limited by your acoustics. Remember, always use AES digital input into the SAM speakers to avoid extra conversion issues.

Serious audiophiles want more, however, from a system than what a 3-way box can give you. And then we are talking about a bass system. A bass system should (look up Earl Geddes on Google) consist of at least 2 subwoofers (7370a), preferably 4. The thing is, I believe Genelec has one of the better plug and play systems for adding extra bass to an audiophile system, given the GLM's DSP capabilities. So you could buy a pair of 8351a and add subs to the system at a later stage. I consider doing this. I believe an 8351a based 2.2, 2.3 or 2.4 system would compete with much more expensive setups, but now we are talking about serious audiophilia which will consume some space in your home.

The sub comment was just meant to illustrate the flexibility of Genelec's SAM digital module based systems if the user wants to push the limits of great sounding hifi systems.