1 hour ago, lmitche said:

I look forward to hearing the results of this test.

I did'nt want you to wait too long! ?

IMG_6070.thumb.JPG.7a3cbab8214b1a04938747bab0a54a9f.JPGIMG_6071.thumb.JPG.d42f1b45b00cc4e9952bc67a01eeedba.JPG

Connected the Gopherts to the two star grounded sockets on my Naim powerstrip. The RE450 plus battery charger to a separate two socket DIY powerstrip due to space requirements. I do not have long enough Cat 6a network cables right now to reach the wall outlet so everything goes into the Peaktech 2240 via a two socket power splitter with Naim strip on one and Brooklyn alone connected to the other socket. It might look messy, but it will look better when everything is arranged! ?

How did it sound then? ?

IMG_6073.thumb.JPG.d3d943e6c22da89688364da9df445236.JPG

I instantly noticed an improved ambience and deep bass performance listening to familiar MQA album Bat For Lashes "The Bride" in 96kHz/24 bit. A bit clearer treble as well I think and heavier dynamics. Thanks for the tip Larry! It definately improved SQ for the better. I did'nt even think it would be possible yesterday! You'll never know until you'll try! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

Now when everything is connected to the Peaktech 2240 in my A setup I can swear that my B setup have improved slightly as well, even though I have snitched the Canare 4S6 starquad DC cable to the battery for my TP-Link DSG-105 network switch (to my AQVOX) and changed the star grounded Naim Powerstrip to the Hugo powerstrip. Again I have proved to myself that it is the sum of all isolations that counts! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

I would love to see you test this definitively by comparing your floating SMPS solution vs equivalent LPSes. And beyond that, with ultracaps supplies like the LPS-1.

Is there anyone in Sweden who wants to lend @Cornan some LPS's for this worthy experiment!

2 hours ago, Cornan said:

The whole point with my SMPS route is to find out if SMPS is the root to all evil as many here on CA seem to think. My conclution is that it is NOT! ... SMPS is very good indeed if you just mind to float the ground. The ALT Hi-Fi DC blocker trap filter pre my Peaktech 2240 is ment to take care of any backwash DC currents from the power strip in my own setup and from the rest of the household and my unintentionally vicious neighbours (I live in an appartment). :D

36 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I would love to see you test this definitively by comparing your floating SMPS solution vs equivalent LPSes. And beyond that, with ultracaps supplies like the LPS-1.

Is there anyone in Sweden who wants to lend @Cornan some LPS's for this worthy experiment!

Hi Rajiv! I do have plans to buy a LPS-1 for the Brooklyn injection plus Regen with the floating Gophert as a feeder supply. It will however take a while before I end up there. Too many other things I want to do first, for example my recently started vinyl project that will consume my funds for the moment. I already have the perfect power supply for the Aries Mini to compare with the Gophert. My unregulated battery supply that outputs 6A. 

🎛️  Audio System  

While in my experimental mode I decided to try a dual ground cable to my Entreq Minimus which is connected to the Aqvox switch-8 GND screw. In the back of my head I have read that a loose side-by-side wire (ie. NOT twisted pair) is optimal for grounding and by the feel of Entreqs own grounding cables that I own they are using this technique as well. Said and done!

IMG_6074.thumb.JPG.22037b9c7d8d6be7ee07b38190cd0514.JPGIMG_6075.thumb.JPG.cc2b0bdd62289d581ef1ce02f8eff781.JPG

Yeah baby! Another jump in SQ with more of that external grounding goodies I just love. I wonder if 3 loose side-by-side wires will sound even better? ?

🎛️  Audio System  

Still have'nt passed my experiential mode! ? Tried to squeeze up the voltage of my Gophert to maximum 18V for my Aries Mini instead of previous 16V. Clearly better! More refined micro details for sure.

Anyone knows if it is possible to reduce the voltage slightly for USB bus power and for the Regen Amber? I would like to see if it could improve with a lower voltage like 4-4,5V in the "other end". Just not sure if I dare to do that without knowing if it is a gamble or not!? ?

I also suddenly noticed that I now prefer the USB cables without the ground lift. Hmmm, must be something to do with that everything is connected to the Peaktech floating IT and possibly the improved network switch grounding? ?

🎛️  Audio System  

I also suddenly noticed that I now prefer the USB cables without the ground lift. Hmmm, must be something to do with that everything is connected to the Peaktech floating IT and possibly the improved network switch grounding? ?

Disregard this! After listening to a variaty of different albums I do still prefer it with the GND lift on both of my USB cables, but the difference is not as obvious are before. The GND lift still let's the music dig deeper and clear up the upper register a bit.

Music sounds awesome with or without the GND lift, but who wants to settle for a little less? Not me! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

5 hours ago, Cornan said:

While in my experimental mode I decided to try a dual ground cable to my Entreq Minimus which is connected to the Aqvox switch-8 GND screw. In the back of my head I have read that a loose side-by-side wire (ie. NOT twisted pair) is optimal for grounding and by the feel of Entreqs own grounding cables that I own they are using this technique as well. Said and done!

IMG_6074.thumb.JPG.22037b9c7d8d6be7ee07b38190cd0514.JPGIMG_6075.thumb.JPG.cc2b0bdd62289d581ef1ce02f8eff781.JPG

Yeah baby! Another jump in SQ with more of that external grounding goodies I just love. I wonder if 3 loose side-by-side wires will sound even better? ?

Yes @Cornan this works for sure, I have two loose wires from my Nimitra to the Aucharm box and made a positive impact.    I used two different chassis screws though 

13 hours ago, Cornan said:

I did'nt want you to wait too long! ?

IMG_6070.thumb.JPG.7a3cbab8214b1a04938747bab0a54a9f.JPGIMG_6071.thumb.JPG.d42f1b45b00cc4e9952bc67a01eeedba.JPG

Connected the Gopherts to the two star grounded sockets on my Naim powerstrip. The RE450 plus battery charger to a separate two socket DIY powerstrip due to space requirements. I do not have long enough Cat 6a network cables right now to reach the wall outlet so everything goes into the Peaktech 2240 via a two socket power splitter with Naim strip on one and Brooklyn alone connected to the other socket. It might look messy, but it will look better when everything is arranged! ?

How did it sound then? ?

IMG_6073.thumb.JPG.d3d943e6c22da89688364da9df445236.JPG

I instantly noticed an improved ambience and deep bass performance listening to familiar MQA album Bat For Lashes "The Bride" in 96kHz/24 bit. A bit clearer treble as well I think and heavier dynamics. Thanks for the tip Larry! It definately improved SQ for the better. I did'nt even think it would be possible yesterday! You'll never know until you'll try! ?

Nice Turntable :)

20 minutes ago, TubeMan said:

Nice Turntable :)

Thanks TubeMan! ? It is my new project. An Ariston RD40 with Enigma tonearm. It is in great condition, but I want to improve it with better damping, MC cartridge, better LP-12 springs, starquad cables, silver ground cable, new cone feets etc etc. 

🎛️  Audio System  

4 hours ago, Cornan said:

Thanks TubeMan! ? It is my new project. An Ariston RD40 with Enigma tonearm. It is in great condition, but I want to improve it with better damping, MC cartridge, better LP-12 springs, starquad cables, silver ground cable, new cone feets etc etc. 

Did not think a "Digital Boy" would listen to real sound :D:D

1 hour ago, Middy said:

Not much to see but I believe it's sounding better replacing the caps with what I think are better quality. I have 1 more to fit coming Friday from Digi-Key US For the 5600uf cap.

If anything they are newer caps so that helps I believe and 75ns diodes in the rectifier bridge seems to help. EE guys probably would have a fit at me. 

Another lesson learned with lead free though. Flood the joint with silver lead solder first then remove with wick. Reducing the iron time as it melts faster than just lead free....

Also heat the board up with a hairdryer heat gun ...Less than 80oc ish. But heat up the solder wick as well and jump in fast. Liquid flux helps...

More tips than effects of sound but when the last cap comes and 2 days listening I can judge the final result.

20170621_204526.jpg

20170621_194141.jpg

20170621_194128.jpg

20170621_170032.jpg

1 hour ago, Middy said:

Not much to see but I believe it's sounding better replacing the caps with what I think are better quality. I have 1 more to fit coming Friday from Digi-Key US For the 5600uf cap.

If anything they are newer caps so that helps I believe and 75ns diodes in the rectifier bridge seems to help. EE guys probably would have a fit at me. 

Another lesson learned with lead free though. Flood the joint with silver lead solder first then remove with wick. Reducing the iron time as it melts faster than just lead free....

Also heat the board up with a hairdryer heat gun ...Less than 80oc ish. But heat up the solder wick as well and jump in fast. Liquid flux helps...

More tips than effects of sound but when the last cap comes and 2 days listening I can judge the final result.

20170621_204526.jpg

20170621_194141.jpg

20170621_194128.jpg

20170621_170032.jpg

What is this that I'm looking at (the pics), a DYI power supply? What is it powering? 

7 minutes ago, TubeMan said:

Did not think a "Digital Boy" would listen to real sound :D:D

Well, I was´nt born yesturday (1966). I have owned about 10 different turntables over the years. Now I am back again and I will hopefully make this one too good to sell off in the end! :D

🎛️  Audio System  

I received the Aucharm grounding box today. No cable was delivered, so I did my own which I installed in my B setup.

IMG_6080.thumb.JPG.b65067c3584cd4d427762154c4ffc82c.JPG

Aucharm is connected to the D-Link DSG-105 Network switch plus the additional connection to my pocket router. I changed my DIY battery/tourmaline grounder to take care of the DC terminal ground (Not a final installation. Just to test).

IMG_6078.thumb.JPG.8e753e6f4bb1a2329ac7ee168baa9f43.JPGIMG_6079.thumb.JPG.d1b77fe35792e2d9a1ffaf2e5c9b0de9.JPG

Definately improved, but not as expected. I got a sort of matt presentation that I do like. Still pitch black and deep as before, but it is like a no one have been here before feeling to it all.  Difficult to describe. I'll have to turn up the volume a bit and it takes a lot of volume before it turns fatigue. Before I did only reach roughly 20 dB before it was too high. Now I'll need atleast 30 dB before my GF complains! ? (Mind that I am using two grounding boxes)

Before I installed it in my B setup I did compare it to my Entreq Minimus with same cables. No contest in my setup I'm afraid. Entreq Minimus is the clear winner. In fact Aucharm do not bring the same awesome natural feeling to the music as Entreq does. Very hard to describe, but it is like they are improving different things all together. Aucharm is making it more silent inbetween the tracks and Entreq is enhancing the natural feeling of instruments and voices. Ofcourse this makes me wonder if both together will be optimal? ? I will surely try! ? 

Price vs performance then? Sorry, but it goes to the Minimus as well! In Sweden the Minimus is roughly $200 and the Aucharm ends up at $$120 with import charges. I would pick Entreq Minimus any day!

It did'nt improve anywhere else in my A setup (AC ground, Brooklyn, Gopherts, Naim Powerstrip and Peaktech2240 chassi). None the less it makes a great improvement in my B setup, so I am happy after all! ?

As a final note I must say that it was a completely different feeling to receive the Aucharm and the Minimus. Entreq gave me the thrills and the Aucharm just got me a bit dissapointed in terms of quality of the product. Only by looks and workmanship the Entreq Minimus scores big time. Next grounding box will be a Entreq for sure.

Since I have built my own DIY grounding boxes I know it ain't cheap to build them. Entreq is actually fairly priced in Sweden when you think about the quality work and expensive materials that is going into their products.

🎛️  Audio System  

25 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Price vs performance then? Sorry, but it goes to the Minimus as well! In Sweden the Minimus is roughly $200 and the Aucharm ends up at $$120 with import charges. I would pick Entreq Minimus any day!

Sadly, the US distributor seems to not even market the Minimus. They start with the Silver Minimus at $795.

If you see a good price in NA, give a shout!

12 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Sadly, the US distributor seems to not even market the Minimus. They start with the Silver Minimus at $795.

If you see a good price in NA, give a shout!

I would be happy to buy you one for SEK 2000 and send it to you plus freight charges if you're interested? I can also keep an eye open for a second hand unit that usually goes for SEK 1200 - 1500, but that might take a while. Silver Minimus usually goes for SEK 2500, but if it turns up I will grab it myself! ?

🎛️  Audio System