Hi Michael 

I've also got the ISO Regen/Luckit Bluwave combo and I was wondering what cable you used from the Bluwave Spdif out to your DAC? 

If I've read your audio setup properly it says "1cm (w/o RCA plug) Gotham Audio GAC-1 Pro> Mytek Brooklyn DAC.

Is this right - very short Gotham cable with RCA or BNC plug at the end going into your DAC?

Do you have a photo of the cable?

Thanks

16 minutes ago, tims said:

Hi Michael 

I've also got the ISO Regen/Luckit Bluwave combo and I was wondering what cable you used from the Bluwave Spdif out to your DAC? 

If I've read your audio setup properly it says "1cm (w/o RCA plug) Gotham Audio GAC-1 Pro> Mytek Brooklyn DAC.

Is this right - very short Gotham cable with RCA or BNC plug at the end going into your DAC?

Do you have a photo of the cable?

Thanks

Hi Tims!

Yes, I use a butchered Gotham GAC-1 Pro https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F370929798174

that looks like this connected between the BW board & Brooklyn DAC! ?

11C9230A-4843-4067-9C18-35CE15B6FA16.thumb.jpeg.aba7b7fe64b1bc8be25adac58e993b21.jpeg

🎛️  Audio System  

8 hours ago, tims said:

Thanks; great way to get a very short connection.

Did you experiment with a longer cable?   I've read discussions about minimizing reflections (in SPDIF cables) with a minimum 1.5 m length. Some say it sounds better, others say it doesn't matter.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/16781-minimum-length-for-75937-coax-cable-revisited/

I had the Gotham GAC-1 Pro in the original lenght before I made it shorter. It surely sounded better shorter to these ears, but the original lenght is just 15cm, so noehere near 150cm. I have´nt tried that long coaxial Spdif on my BW board. I am a beleiver in the shorter cable the better independant of type of cable though (so I am in the reflections does´nt matter that much when the lenght is short camp) :) 

🎛️  Audio System  

Looking for some tweak type guidance, i currently use a fibre bridge with 2x TP Links converters, both power by IFI 5V.

The consensus is LPS is better than SMPS, but i am struggling which to chose.

I have focused on the Uptone LPS1 (£450) and 1.1, Teddy Pardo  Dual 5V (£400) and the MCRU Dual 5V (£350), but only the former talks of galvanic isolation and more technical details, whereas the latter do not share much technical information

5 hours ago, obsydian said:

Looking for some tweak type guidance, i currently use a fibre bridge with 2x TP Links converters, both power by IFI 5V.

The consensus is LPS is better than SMPS, but i am struggling which to chose.

I have focused on the Uptone LPS1 (£450) and 1.1, Teddy Pardo  Dual 5V (£400) and the MCRU Dual 5V (£350), but only the former talks of galvanic isolation and more technical details, whereas the latter do not share much technical information

If you want to power both FMC input and output with best results with a valuable option I would recommend that you buy this two-way independant LPSU https://www.ebay.com/itm/50VA-50VA-HIFI-Linear-power-supply-2Way-LPS-50W-50W-DC-5V-9V-12V-15V-18V-19V-24V/132431179122?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

s-l1600.jpg

You can also step it up a little by choosing 5v on the upstream FMC (close to the router) ad 9v on the downstream FMC (close to the audio setup) and add LT3045s (1A), MS-HPULNs (3A) or  LS-HPULs (5A) i series with 2 Vf (voltage forward drop).

Ps. Note that you can adjust the output voltage yourself with the blue voltage adjusters inside the case if you want to change it later on. Ds.

🎛️  Audio System  

51 minutes ago, Cornan said:

If you want to power both FMC input and output with best results with a valuable option I would recommend that you buy this two-way independant LPSU https://www.ebay.com/itm/50VA-50VA-HIFI-Linear-power-supply-2Way-LPS-50W-50W-DC-5V-9V-12V-15V-18V-19V-24V/132431179122?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

s-l1600.jpg

You can also step it up a little by choosing 5v on the upstream FMC (close to the router) ad 9v on the downstream FMC (close to the audio setup) and add LT3045s (1A), MS-HPULNs (3A) or  LS-HPULs (5A) i series with 2 Vf (voltage forward drop).

Ps. Note that you can adjust the output voltage yourself with the blue voltage adjusters inside the case if you want to change it later on. Ds.

Many Thanks will look into this, are these safe to use for the UK?

Also my tech knowhow is basic, what do you mean by "add LT3045s (1A), MS-HPULNs (3A) or  LS-HPULs (5A) i series with 2 Vf (voltage forward drop" ?

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

s-l1600.jpg

Nice find!

Few questions...

Site says "ultra low noise" but do not see any spec.   Is this known?

From pics, does not appear to be much heat sinking.  Is this a potential problem?

I have read that it is not advisable to have multiple PSs in same box.  Is this an issue?

35 minutes ago, BigGuy said:

Nice find!

Few questions...

Site says "ultra low noise" but do not see any spec.   Is this known?

From pics, does not appear to be much heat sinking.  Is this a potential problem?

I have read that it is not advisable to have multiple PSs in same box.  Is this an issue?

Thanks! ?

This LPSU have two Sigma 11 (S12) type discrete voltage regs which is both very low noice and not perticulary sensitive to heat (requires a higher voltage drop than LT3045). It also have separate toroidal transformers for each S12 type which will ensure less transformer artifacts compared to a single transformer. Toroidal transformers do not get as hot as for example an R-core.

🎛️  Audio System  

47 minutes ago, obsydian said:

Many Thanks will look into this, are these safe to use for the UK?

Also my tech knowhow is basic, what do you mean by "add LT3045s (1A), MS-HPULNs (3A) or  LS-HPULs (5A) i series with 2 Vf (voltage forward drop" ?

Your welcome! :) Yes, these are safe and good quality. I would actually say that it is enough as it is with 2x 5V output for FMCs. The external LT3045 voltage regs is something you can add later on when you have read a little about them. You do not need to go far back on this thread to find out what it is all about! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

9 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Thanks! ?

This LPSU have two Sigma 11 (S12) type discrete voltage regs which is both very low noice and not perticulary sensitive to heat (requires a higher voltage drop than LT3045). It also have separate toroidal transformers for each S12 type which will ensure less transformer artifacts compared to a single transformer. Toroidal transformers do not get as hot as for example an R-core.

I was going to build an LPS from this S12 module...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/S12-Super-regulated-linear-power-supply-board-5-30V-LPS-10000uF-50V-Versio-PSU/132048787951?hash=item1ebeb899ef:g:odUAAOSwbopZPMnE

which seems to have more heat sinking than the dual supply you found.  I would prefer not having to worry about heat or its side effects or need to modify the LPS to deal with this issue.

IF neither heat nor "artifacts" will be an issue, this will take care of my reqs for [email protected] and [email protected] plus eliminate a box.

Currently I am using no LT3045 regulators.

7 minutes ago, BigGuy said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/S12-Super-regulated-linear-power-supply-board-5-30V-LPS-10000uF-50V-Versio-PSU/132048787951?hash=item1ebeb899ef:g:odUAAOSwbopZPMnE

which seems to have more heat sinking than the dual supply you found.  I would prefer not having to worry about heat or its side effects or need to modify the LPS to deal with this issue.

IF neither heat nor "artifacts" will be an issue, this will take care of my reqs for [email protected] and [email protected] plus eliminate a box.

The voltage regs are attached to the aluminium chassi that also have a lot of ventilation holes. This is a great solution to deal with heat IMO. LT3045s is best used external and with low Vf since they are more sensitive to heat. LT3045s is clearly better IMO though, so if you can use both it is a match made in heaven! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

6 hours ago, BigGuy said:

Hi Frank,

Nice catch! Yes you want the sigma 11 boards with the four heatsinks on the rectifiers and two big black 10,000 uf caps. 

I have made five lpsus here with these boards, three single, and one dual box. They are excellent lpsus for our use here but be careful, the mosfets fail when shorted. I have learned to unplug them, make all Dc connections, and lastly connect the AC power.

These things power multiple lt3045 chains here so I usually buy them in odd voltages like 7, 9 and 15 to have room for 1 volt of vdrop in each of the lt3045 boards.

You have to change one of resistors to make a major voltage output change as the blue pot has only about 1 to 1.5 volts plus and minus. You may also need to change out the transformer.

Make sure the mosfets are truly insulated on the heatsink or case floor as otherwise weirdness happens.

You can find these in nice cases already pre-made with one, two or three transfos and regulator boards inside. These cost roughly $100, $200 and $300 respectively plus shipping. I have one of these as well and it is very nicely done.

Larry

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

12 hours ago, lmitche said:

Hi Frank,

Nice catch! Yes you want the sigma 11 boards with the four heatsinks on the rectifiers and two big black 10,000 uf caps. 

I have made five lpsus here with these boards, three single, and one dual box. They are excellent lpsus for our use here but be careful, the mosfets fail when shorted. I have learned to unplug them, make all Dc connections, and lastly connect the AC power.

These things power multiple lt3045 chains here so I usually buy them in odd voltages like 7, 9 and 15 to have room for 1 volt of vdrop in each of the lt3045 boards.

You have to change one of resistors to make a major voltage output change as the blue pot has only about 1 to 1.5 volts plus and minus. You may also need to change out the transformer.

Make sure the mosfets are truly insulated on the heatsink or case floor as otherwise weirdness happens.

You can find these in nice cases already pre-made with one, two or three transfos and regulator boards inside. These cost roughly $100, $200 and $300 respectively plus shipping. I have one of these as well and it is very nicely done.

Larry

Appreciate the watch-out on hooking up the LPS!  No need to let smoke out of box.  ?

Can you provide more detail on what to look for re mosfet insulation?

I will have to look for LPSs based on S11...maybe one with double output, e.g., [email protected] and [email protected].

40 minutes ago, BigGuy said:

Appreciate the watch-out on hooking up the LPS!  No need to let smoke out of box.  ?

Can you provide more detail on what to look for re mosfet insulation?

I will have to look for LPSs based on S11...maybe one with double output, e.g., [email protected] and [email protected].

You need to use your multimeter to ensure the mosfets tabs are not touching the case or mounting nuts and bolts.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Here is my new DC cable using dual Supra DAC cables with drain wire loop. Much better than the Supra Cat 8 in that spot! ?

Technical Info

For further technical information, refer to separate sections of included components: Supra DAC cable and Supra Swift XLR

Mechanical Specifications

Cross section area 0.54 / 20 mm/ AWG
Number of strands per lead 19 pieces
Strand diameter 0.19 mm
Conductor material Oxygen free 5N copper  
Insulation PE Foam (air filled)  
Screen Coverage 100% semi-conductive nylon  
Jacket Heat & age resistant PVC  
External diameter 6.1 mm
Weight Not applicable g/m

Electrical performance

Resistance 8.1 Ohm/km
Inductance 0.28 uH/m
Capacitance 45 pF/m
Characteristic impedance 110 Ohm
Velocity factor 0.78 x C (speed of light)

🎛️  Audio System  

On 5/13/2018 at 12:32 PM, Cornan said:

Thanks John! ?

Yes, it is two boards. The first board have a Kemet at the input and the last board have a Kemet at the output. No Kemet inbetween the boards (under the Entreq mini wrap cover).

I read  this thread but a poster just suggested the use of the Kemet cap(s) in a DIY LPS I am building around the S12 module.

Is this a recommended addition?  If so, where would it/they be installed?

6 minutes ago, BigGuy said:

I read  this thread but a poster just suggested the use of the Kemet cap(s) in a DIY LPS I am building around the S12 module.

Is this a recommended addition?  If so, where would it/they be installed?

The Kemet A750 (25v/560uF) is an awesome upgrade IME. I use them on the voltage reg DC output (all LT3045) on all of my LPSUs. Quite often they also improve on the LT3045 input, but that needs to be tested in your setup. ?

0D3EF65D-570D-4B94-9C72-43752FFEFC4D.thumb.jpeg.59192a15ae994138cbb86c47b820c604.jpeg

🎛️  Audio System  

29 minutes ago, Cornan said:

The Kemet A750 (25v/560uF) is an awesome upgrade IME. I use them on the voltage reg DC output (all LT3045) on all of my LPSUs. Quite often they also improve on the LT3045 input, but that needs to be tested in your setup. ?

0D3EF65D-570D-4B94-9C72-43752FFEFC4D.thumb.jpeg.59192a15ae994138cbb86c47b820c604.jpeg

I am not (yet) using LT3045 so would it still be good to add the Kemets?

Given my lack of circuit knowledge, would need more "Betty Crocker" on where to install.

4 minutes ago, BigGuy said:

I am not (yet) using LT3045 so would it still be good to add the Kemets?

Given my lack of circuit knowledge, would need more "Betty Crocker" on where to install.

Ok, just add them to the DC cable plug as you can see on my Supra DAC DC cable. Blue side leg of the Kemet to -Ve and the other leg to +Ve. Easy! Best result is to add them to the DC output of the S12. You’ll just need to figure out how since the S12 have spade’s at the output.

🎛️  Audio System  

On 6/7/2018 at 7:17 AM, Cornan said:

s-l1600.jpg

Given that the output voltage regulators of that supply have their tabs bolted to the same chassis plate, the DC output zero-volt “grounds” are going to be common to each other.  Thus using this supply to power a pair of FMCs will defeat the galvanic isolation of the optical connection—the whole point of the FMC scheme.

1 minute ago, Superdad said:

Given that the output voltage regulators of that supply have their tabs bolted to the same chassis plate, the DC output zero-volt “grounds” are going to be common to each other.  Thus using this supply to power a pair of FMCs will defeat the galvanic isolation of the optical connection—the whole point of the FMC scheme.

Well, I am not at all pro using dual output PSUs for FMCs, but since a dual LPSU was what I understood original question was all about I suggested this one as a good solution for a dual output LPSU since it have separate transformers for each voltage reg. 

For a better solution the downstream FMC should have the best possible LPSU while the upstream FMC (close to the router) is not as important. Separate LPSUs will always beat multiple output LPSUs with the identical specs IMO.

🎛️  Audio System  

5 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Well, I am not at all pro using dual output PSUs for FMCs, but since a dual LPSU was what I understood original question was all about I suggested this one as a good solution for a dual output LPSU since it have separate transformers for each voltage reg. 

For a better solution the downstream FMC should have the best possible LPSU while the upstream FMC (close to the router) is not as important. Separate LPSUs will always beat multiple output LPSUs with the identical specs IMO.

Cornan understood correctly and I thought the dual LPS was a good suggestion.  The 9V and 5V that need to be supplied are 2 separate devices.  The FMC receiver takes the [email protected] and the FMC transmitter plug-in card is powered by the PC.  The only connection the PC (with internal FMC) and FMC share in common is at the master panel. 

Makes for extra luggage but perhaps why I have also read that separate supplies are better.

Here is my latest DC cable that I put together this morning! Bettered the dual Supra DAC with a couple of minors but very enjoyable advantages!

6C58D6C3-9DBD-47EC-993F-00A59E36E23D.thumb.jpeg.f271288f050c88f521de95de4a76ffff.jpeg

You can read all about it here! ?

Technical Info

Mechanical Specifications

Number of channels 2  
Application examples Stereo Subwoofer, mp3, iPod, iPad, computer, among other mobile applications  
Lead area 0.24 / 23 mm/ AWG
Number of strands per lead 19 pieces
Strand dimension Ø 0.127 mm
Lead material Tin plated, Oxygen-free 5N Copper  
Di-electric (insulation) PE  
Shielding Aluminized PET foil  
Jacket Age and heat resistant PVC  
External dimension Ø 7.5 mm
Weight 56 g/m

Electrical performance

Resistance 72 Ohm / km
Capacitance 52 pF / m
Velocity factor 0.66 x C (speed of light)

🎛️  Audio System  

Hi Micael, as promised here is a breakdown of my Sparky I2S Roon endpoint chain, which I have been working on for some months. I had to do a lot of trial and error as there are so many pieces to the chain to get working together. There have been a lot of issues which I have sorted out now and everything is running very smoothly and reliably. The start up sequence is crucial which took me a while to understand and I damaged a few boards which needed replacing. I've added PoE cables on all the power lines and now the result is superb and giving me a SQ that I am very satisfied with using the I2S input of my PS Audio Junior DAC which is superior to the other inputs in my opinion (USB and SPDIF). I am hoping to retire from tweaking for now :) and focus on other things - especially the MUSIC which I am enjoying tremendously

Cheers!

1602619440_SparkyRoonEndpoint.thumb.png.e27296f4064e0772f40a359f6ff1deb4.png

432043888_ScreenShot2018-06-11at14_18_47.thumb.png.64d1faf1c0796e2654d11aeaffa19d51.png

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers.